Author Topic: for those who bought greens without trying them first  (Read 4290 times)

Offline anorphirith

for those who bought greens without trying them first
« on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 17:20:49 »
did you regret it ?

I tried the blues red black and brown. I only liked the blues, but I wished they were stiffer. although I'm not sure if I should just get 60-70g springs or go for green directly

Offline sony

• Formerly ultraidiot
Re: for those who bought greens without trying them first
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 17:26:07 »
I got greens because I had a model m, and blues were way too light. I didn't regret it. If you're doing a custom, you may be able to swap the springs. Then you can always try a heavier weight and get lighter springs if you don't like them.

Offline anorphirith

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 19:19:50 »
I"m looking to get the pok3r that comes with the green mx. I'll be able to swap the springs without de-soldering right ?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 19:24:40 »
I"m looking to get the pok3r that comes with the green mx. I'll be able to swap the springs without de-soldering right ?
No you can't, not on a Pok3r. You'll have to desolder if you want to modify the switches in any way.

Offline Shaussman

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 19:32:58 »
My brother did it and ot worked out fine. Even if they do end up being slightly stiff, you get used to it fairly quickly (1-2 days)
MX Brown Quickfire XT | MX Clear WASD VP3 | MX Blue Ducky Zero

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 19:37:24 »
Bought a KUL with them ages ago...they were fun for awhile but really ended up causing legitimate pain after extended use so i ended up selling the board.  For reference i can use Stock MX Clears without much of an issue (less it be for really extended periods), but Greens as nice as they sounded and felt were far too heavy for me.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline anorphirith

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 19:51:22 »
awesome thanks for the feedback guys

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 20:48:51 »
I just got the Matias Clicks, their weighting is between MX Blue and MX Green.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 21:19:20 »
I didn't buy greens, but I did buy heavier springs to swap into my blues.

It worked out quite well for me. I didn't think blues were too light necessarily, and I still have a board with them, but I really enjoy my greens as well. I did already know I liked heavy switches (stock clears).

60g Korean springs won't be any heavier than blues. I personally can't feel a difference up until 67/68g, which is already halfway to the weight of greens. I personally went a bit heavier than stock greens, with 85g sprit springs.

Just keep in mind that it will take you a bit of time to get used to the heavier springs, and they may feel too heavy for a while. I'd say give it a week or two with the heavier springs before you pass judgement. It took me about a week to get used to my clears, coming from only having used blues and browns.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline sony

• Formerly ultraidiot
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 21:41:53 »
Greens are 80g actuation though so shouldn't they be heavier than the 85g sprit springs?

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 03:09:22 »
Bought greens without trying them, they're all I use at the moment.
I also have one with Blues that I use in another room, but at my main PC station it's all about dem greens, baby!

Offline kokokoy

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 03:27:02 »
Did it. My views are they are better blues. That's my perspective anyway.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 04:21:16 »
I just got the Matias Clicks, their weighting is between MX Blue and MX Green.

This, if you find MX Blues too heavy Matias may be a good middle ground. 
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 09:07:21 »
Greens are 80g actuation though so shouldn't they be heavier than the 85g sprit springs?

I didn't think greens were that heavy. Don't they use essentially the same springs as MX blacks?

I suppose it depends on the force curves.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Shaussman

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 10:16:40 »
At least nominally Greens are 80g while blacks are 55-60, and it seems like previous tests confirm that: http://i.imgur.com/I1u8aeO.jpg
MX Brown Quickfire XT | MX Clear WASD VP3 | MX Blue Ducky Zero

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 11:03:24 »
At least nominally Greens are 80g while blacks are 55-60, and it seems like previous tests confirm that: http://i.imgur.com/I1u8aeO.jpg

Yes, but that's the switch, and the characteristics of the stem play a role in the measured force. The bumps on the green stem make its actuation force higher than the black, while using similar springs. I don't think they're quite identical, but the springs are more similar than the switches make them seem (as an aside, it seems to me that this is the issue with measuring springs at actuation -- it's different in different switches).

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46449.0
http://imgur.com/a/RJqM4

Also compare bottom-out weights on the force curves:

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/media/guide/graph-mx-green.jpg
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/media/guide/graph-mx-black.jpg

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 06:10:34 »
Nope.

I started with blues, moved on to blacks, and discovered I preferred heavier switches.

I took a gamble on greens (heavy and clicky) and it turned out great!  A QFS by the way, and I still use it occasionally today.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tacnificent

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 10:07:31 »
Greens weren't my first switch but I did have blues, reds, Gateron tactile clears and browns prior so it was an educated guess that I'd like them based on past experience.

Offline rtpguy

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 14:28:10 »
I like them...agonized for a bit as I was looking for a TKL but after 15+ years with IBM Model Ms or Unicomps, I was having 'switch anxiety.' 
They feel decent - probably a bit heavier by feel and a different sound vs buckling spring, but overall solid on the Code 87 TKL I picked up.
Have been using for a month or so now. 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 15:21:57 »
I tried green for a good week before deciding that they're just too heavy..

I think if I went LONGER , the keys would've eventually settled a bit more and became lighter..

But, that's a LONG road...

Offline Tangtawan

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 16:48:28 »
I have had that kind of experience with MX White switch, it has similar weight to MX Green. I regret buying it and have only used it for few days though.. later its being kept under the bed, as it was too heavy for me. Even though, I have other boards which are IBM Model M and MX Black (both considerably heavy), still I think the force curve for MX White makes it feels way too heavy for daily usage.

I have also tried MX Greens, but only on a switch tester and not on a full board- can anyone who has experienced both confirm if they are similar? From what I know they both have the same force curve but the MX white has less noticeable clicking sound.
My boards : Model F AT (6450200), Industrial M (1394950), Model M SSK (1391472), Model M13 (13H6705), Model M (1390131), Focus FK-2001 (ALPS SKCM Blue), HHKB Pro 2, Realforce 87U 55g, KBP V80 Matias Click, TADA68 (Gateron Reds), Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (67g Ergo Clears), Cherry G80-11800 (Ergo Clears), KBT One 108 (MX White), Ducky One TKL RGB (MX Black), Filco Majestouch Tenkeypad (MX Brown), Leopold FC210TP (MX Red)

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 18:11:09 »
I have had that kind of experience with MX White switch, it has similar weight to MX Green. I regret buying it and have only used it for few days though.. later its being kept under the bed, as it was too heavy for me. Even though, I have other boards which are IBM Model M and MX Black (both considerably heavy), still I think the force curve for MX White makes it feels way too heavy for daily usage.

I have also tried MX Greens, but only on a switch tester and not on a full board- can anyone who has experienced both confirm if they are similar? From what I know they both have the same force curve but the MX white has less noticeable clicking sound.

I own a KBP V60 with MX whites and i owned a KUL with MX Greens and honestly if Whites are too heavy for you i don't see Greens being any easier on you for long term usage.  If Anything the whites feel a little smoother (though just as heavy) but a bit easier as such the greens are seriously heavy and i ended up selling the board outright.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline iichigoz

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 01:11:45 »
Bought the greens, sold the greens. It was very clicky but too heavy for my liking.

Offline Shihatsu

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 03:54:54 »
I regret it. Simply because they are still to light. Will buy more Greens and modify them with heavier springs. My Blues are feeling like lady switches compared to my Greens.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 06:54:04 »
I regret it. Simply because they are still to light. Will buy more Greens and modify them with heavier springs. My Blues are feeling like lady switches compared to my Greens.
I barely feel any tactility with the blues.
But my greens are a little too light for me too (Gateron).
I need to modify them with heavier springs.

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 10:51:41 »
I did this and ended up just building my board with stiffer springs in Gateron Blues. Silky and slightly stiffer. I tend to stick around 62-65g tho, but like 75g is HEAVY.

Everything is good in the middle man.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 15:37:38 »
I kind of liked them. I bought them because it was the only widely availably tactile/clicky Cherry switch I hadn't tried. I really liked them, but I couldn't type on them for a long period of time. I actually prefer them to MX Blues, but not to Kailh Blues.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 06:02:57 »
I like them...agonized for a bit as I was looking for a TKL but after 15+ years with IBM Model Ms or Unicomps, I was having 'switch anxiety.' 
They feel decent - probably a bit heavier by feel and a different sound vs buckling spring, but overall solid on the Code 87 TKL I picked up.
Have been using for a month or so now. 

Have you left the O-rings on the keycaps?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ