Author Topic: Ducky one 2 mini white led (help)  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Downwithjoshy

Ducky one 2 mini white led (help)
« on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 20:43:54 »
Hey guys,

This is my first post here. I’m not sure if I’m doing this right. I’ve recently modded my ducky one 2 mini. And everything was working great! Lubed to switches, and stabs. Everything was working great. Until I added foam to the board. When I added foam I guess the pressure did something because it was too tight. And now the whole left side leds aren’t working. The keys work fine, but only the leds don’t work. Does anyone have any idea why this is? I seriously cannot figure it out for the life of me.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Ducky one 2 mini white led (help)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 21:08:24 »
probably cracked a trace or broken off a resistor.

follow the traces from the led and find where they disconnect.

Offline yui

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 01:56:13 »
a cracked solder join on a resistor or LED make little sense to me, only one would be off as they should be in parallel, so yeah maybe the flex broke a trace now you will need to put a wire from the + of a LED that is working to one that is not, and if it comes back to life then solder that wire, else try the negative, or else it would be to me that every single one has a defect...

if the wire trick works and you want to do better you should check if the resistor is on the positive or negative side, and do not solder between the LED and resistor, it would lead to uneven lighting.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 08:08:09 »
assuming they share common ground, and that goes back to a pin somewhere and the ground plain is cracked, which is itself a big trace, then it could cause this.

Offline yui

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 08:59:44 »
assuming they share common ground, and that goes back to a pin somewhere and the ground plain is cracked, which is itself a big trace, then it could cause this.
i did not think it would be per key lighting, if it is then it most likely is ground yeah, since when does TP knows about keyboard and electronics? :) thanks for pointing that out

Offline Downwithjoshy

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 19:47:27 »
a cracked solder join on a resistor or LED make little sense to me, only one would be off as they should be in parallel, so yeah maybe the flex broke a trace now you will need to put a wire from the + of a LED that is working to one that is not, and if it comes back to life then solder that wire, else try the negative, or else it would be to me that every single one has a defect...

if the wire trick works and you want to do better you should check if the resistor is on the positive or negative side, and do not solder between the LED and resistor, it would lead to uneven lighting.

So i tried the wire trick. and that sort of half worked. I can get all the leds to turn on except for the top two by the usb-c port. im not really sure why this is. any ideas? would this be caused by a resister not working? if so then how do i know what resistor it is. i thought i tested all of the resistors already and they all worked but maybe i missed one.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 22:04:25 »
So i tried the wire trick. and that sort of half worked. I can get all the leds to turn on except for the top two by the usb-c port. im not really sure why this is. any ideas? would this be caused by a resister not working? if so then how do i know what resistor it is. i thought i tested all of the resistors already and they all worked but maybe i missed one.

you cracked the pcb/trace and or broke a component where the led commons connect (somewhere), it could be hard to see..

Connecting the wire and it working means it's pulling from the ground of (some other set of trace) This is fine, unless there is some sort of specific led matrixing that's required for lighting effects. 

Again, take a multimeter, follow the trace of one of the broken led all the way to the controller.

Offline yui

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 10 February 2021, 01:27:19 »

if the trace broke in one place nothing prevents it from breaking somewhere else, it may have broken in 2 points, and for the resistor the most likely outcome would be a cracked solder join, almost invisible and if you measure the resistor from its contact it will measure fine, just it does not make contact with the pcb on one side, or maybe the broken trace is on the other side of the diode for them as well, so when you fixed the common for all the others those got their common back but the the other side is still disconnected.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 10 February 2021, 13:16:32 »
Looks like there is damage at LED_41 (left shift), which could be where the trace culprit is.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 February 2021, 13:19:25 by Darthbaggins »

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline alphanoob

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 11 February 2021, 11:51:00 »
I had alot of problems with mine also. Good luck!