Author Topic: mech switch for kids?  (Read 2519 times)

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
mech switch for kids?
« on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 13:51:16 »
My daughter wants me to build her a keeb of her own and I'm only too happy to have someone enable my new hobby :)).  She's still little, and finds my old Mx green KB tough to type on and too noisy.  I was thinking of trying out 62g Zilents, but I'd like to hear other opinions as well to throw in a tester for her to try before buying a full set of switches.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: mech switch for kids?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 14:07:08 »
White Alps, of course...

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 14:50:05 »
gateron browns might be good, if she likes tactiles

or one of the kailh speed options, since they're cheap and readily available

kailh bronze would be my personal recommendation

or kailh copper if you don't want her using clicky switches because we all know what happens if you give kids something that makes noise
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 15:51:37 »
The Kailh Box are water/dust resistant with what I think is a drain hole down the middle. Not sure about juice and jam though.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 16:29:47 »
The Kailh Box are water/dust resistant with what I think is a drain hole down the middle. Not sure about juice and jam though.

ah yeah, i forgot about the drain hole

box probably the way to go
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 12:01:51 »
Thanks for all the suggestions!  I’m not too worried about juice spills, as there will be no food/drink near this board.  Too much of a risk for this kind of financial investment.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 14:32:34 »
No, just ignore her, and hand her an SAT book..  That's how modern middle class parenting is done.

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 14:46:29 »
No, just ignore her, and hand her an SAT book..  That's how modern middle class parenting is done.

this hits too close to home

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 14:56:30 »

Did you get the Red one, or the Blue one.. hahahahahaha

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 15:09:14 »

I used khanacademy for SAT
I had AP books instead :/
In hindsight AP history and english classes were a waste of time, only good for college credit. Get job experience and internships, not hard classes kids

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 06:00:38 »

I used khanacademy for SAT
I had AP books instead :/
In hindsight AP history and english classes were a waste of time, only good for college credit. Get job experience and internships, not hard classes kids
That's a great way to become a Fachidiot.

On-topic: smaller key spacing is [empirically] very helpful for kids (and not only them), and so I'd look at Cherry G84-4100 first. It can be very cheap on eBay/fleamarket and if you find a model with PBT keycaps, those can be dyed easily (fun!).

Obviously, if the goal is to assemble a keyboard from scratch, the switches could be harvested from the aforementioned G84, or you could start with modern low-profile switches like Kailh Choc [Mini] series. I haven't followed the market with compatible keycaps, though; it might be necessary to make custom ones. (Which reminds me of kurplop's builds. *wink*)