Author Topic: Entirely ergonomic desk setup, how?  (Read 4479 times)

Offline Will@Drop

• MD Co-Founder
    • Massdrop
Entirely ergonomic desk setup, how?
« on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 01:09:56 »
Hello Gentlemen!

I want to make a desk setup that is entirely ergonomic. What is the best way to do it? I've been told you should type like you play piano but most keyboards are angled in the opposite direction. It seems to me that you would want your entire arm to angle down such that the blood flow naturally moves down to your extremities.

Some of the basic pieces are keyboard angle, desk height, and chair height but what else do I need to research? Are my conclusions about keyboard angles correct in your experience? Any tips are helpful!

I spend almost 12 hours a day at my desk and I don't like to work in half measures. If I'm going to go ergonomic, ima go full ergonomic.

Offline sordna

Re: Entirely ergonomic desk setup, how?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 01:41:42 »
The position of the keyboard in relationship to your body is probably the most important piece of the puzzle.
Yes, I believe you should keep the keyboard as low as possible and angled properly (so that the plane of the keys is either horizonal or with a negative tilt (keyboard sloping down toward your monitor, not toward your chair).

The easiest way to do it is to get a good, fully adjustable keyboard tray.

I set my tray so low that it practically rests on my thighs. I also angle it so that the front of the keyboard is higher than the back of the keyboard.... which is the opposite effect of using keyboard legs!
This way, when I'm typing, my forearm/wrist/first knuckle are straight, on the same line... bending the wrists upwards must be avoided like the plague!

I also use a Kinesis Advantage keyboard, which naturally encourages proper hand positioning; a good ergonomic keyboard is another important piece of the puzzle.

Finally, get a good chair, like the Herman Miller Aeron.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Will@Drop

• MD Co-Founder
    • Massdrop
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 02:35:06 »
Herman Miller is pretty interesting though I really hate the Aeron chairs to be truthful. I haven't tried their embody line though. What do you think of those?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 09:09:06 »
The Mirra is more comfortable than the Aeron and has better lumbar support/adjustability.  I haven't tried an Embody.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline NKRO

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 12:38:13 »
I have an Embody, and while I found it comfortable initially, after having it a couple of years now, I'm wishing I hadn't spent so much on the chair. (prices here are about twice US!)

I wish I had bought an armless chair, as they don't allow me to get as close to my desk as I would like. A good keyboard tray might be the solution to that, but I have always found them to get in the way of my legs, as I'm reasonably short and need my chair up quite high for proper posture, which doesn't leave much room between the desk and my legs. The arms are ratcheted in such a way that they are either too high, or too low for proper support. I don't find that they are long enough at the back either, nor do they change position/height when you recline, so I am constantly adjusting them. Really, it feels like the chair should be used armless with a reclining desk such as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq9eo5ml5pI

The chair itself seems designed to be reclined. Even at the most upright setting, with the highest back tension, it does not offer any support if you are sitting up straight. I'd say it has you leaning back maybe 10–15°
Because it seems designed to be reclined, I find myself wishing that there was a headrest attached to the chair.

The seat angle is not adjustable - it always angles down maybe 5° rather than being flat when sitting upright, it only changes angle when reclined.
The seat depth adjustment is flimsy. When extended, it's just resting on two small plastic runners, so it flexes a lot and plastic rubbing on plastic squeaks/creaks.

The back is too narrow. This is by design so that you have more range with your arms if you are reaching off to the side to pick up something off your desk. (it seems like they should be encouraging rotating your chair instead) I find that it digs into my shoulder blades if I don't loosen the back adjustment, which means it's no longer conforming to the curvature of my spine properly. You only have one control for the back which changes both the curvature of the lumbar support and brings the curvature of the chair back in at the same time. Looking top-down on the chair, it changes it from a flat back support to a more u-shaped one as you tighten it up. So to have flatter back curvature that stops it digging into my shoulder blades, I lose proper lumbar support.

It's a noisy chair. Whenever you recline, it creaks as the shape of the back changes, and every time you adjust the reclining angle, there is often a loud click from the chair the first time you recline at the new setting as it locks into place.

It's not comfortable to be in all day. While the conforming back/seat design is very comfortable initially, I do wish there was some kind of padding rather than just a thin fabric coating. Also; buy it in black. It will discolor fairly quickly and while you can unhook the bottom of the seat, the cover is not removable for washing. I contacted Herman Miller about having mine recovered with black fabric, and was told it would cost half of what I paid for the chair in the first place. (about the full retail price in the US) I have just decided to live with it, and would rather purchase another chair than spend that kind of money on it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 October 2012, 12:40:17 by NKRO »

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 14:51:58 »
Hm...some fairly interesting facts additional question:

How about a keyboard arm? Basically like a tray but more adjustable.
I think armrests with attache keyboards would be great but it's hard to get. Opinion on that?
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline NKRO

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 16:07:46 »
I have been looking at something like this from Humanscale, which I suppose is technically a keyboard arm rather than a keyboard "tray". I like that you can have a negative slope on the keyboard (much better ergonomically) but I still have my concerns about it getting in the way.

I like the idea of a split keyboard built into the arm rests, but I get the feeling it might annoy me over time. If it were still possible to purchase the datahand, I would definitely like to try something like this.

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 17:24:00 »
hehe I don't need to click on that link I've looked at that picture dozens of times.
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 19:28:43 »
I know EXACTLY how to replicate the Datahand chair mount in that picture. Only 4 different parts used. Material cost retail:$100

For the record, you can't make a better, more solid, more adjustable, easier chair-arm-mount than the Datahand setup. I sold mine a few months ago due to severe financial stresses.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 04:56:49 »
Hm...really? Help me make one then! :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 17:00:38 »
HAHAHA that herman desk, $thousands, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 18:28:14 »
HAHAHA that herman desk, $thousands, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Where?!?!?  I only found the sit-height adjustable unpowered version for ~$950.  I would love to see the full blown version at least be available.  The recline feature is friggin awesome.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 19:28:34 »
Hm...really? Help me make one then! :)

Easy. I can give you the exact part list and sources?
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline WTFGoD

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 08:47:46 »
im pretty interested in this topic aswell, my desk right now is way too high but i cant see myself shelling out 3000 or even 1000 on a small desk like that..... even if it does have unique features.

right now im currently using the mirra chair as others have mentioned above, a pretty solid chair if your sitting upright feels like it really pushes your waist into a more forward position and does give support to your back, feels pretty good quality wise. my favorite feature might be the seat as its like a trampoline fabric (hard to explain) its not bouncy but i doubt it will wear out like cushions and although initially it feels a bit stiff  it functions very well with very little fatigue.

downside to this chair is that when you recline it feels like you lose a lot of support and the arms dont feel as ideal with the chair reclined.... also the back support(lumbar) moves when you recline the chair...and you have to reset it when you lean back up. also not the best chair if you dont sit upright/normal(?) overall a good chair but there is a few things i could see improving, i also would like a head support :D
note:: the chair doesnt look as horrible as it does in some of the pictures >.<

as far as keyboard trays go im worried i'd have to sit too low/far back to make room between the desk/seat and the tray, also a lot of the trays come with what i feel would be cheap/crappy/small mouse tray... which would probably not be suitable for people who game... one i had my eye on but have yet to pull this trigger on is http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Keyboard-Arm-Tray-x10/dp/B002T5ID58#productPromotions