Author Topic: Stablizing my ErgoDox  (Read 3122 times)

Offline plainbriny

Stablizing my ErgoDox
« on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 22:10:35 »
Just found these bumpers in the local hardware store. Looks cheap but works well.  :D
Please ignore the keycaps, I am still waiting for those ordered from SP.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
Re: Stablizing my ErgoDox
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 00:30:11 »
I am in favor of this mod.

actually, it looks like you could combine it with counter-sunk screws to hide the lower nut, and both protect your typing surface as well as give the case a "cleaner" look.

Since I type in my lap, my current plan is more nearly to grab a hunk of 2"x4" and balance the halves on it, still on my lap. I'm sure everyone here will hear how that turns out.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 December 2013, 00:32:42 by AKmalamute »

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline nomaded

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 00:42:27 »
Just found these bumpers in the local hardware store. Looks cheap but works well.  :D
Please ignore the keycaps, I am still waiting for those ordered from SP.

You don't find that the ErgoDox is too tall/too high off the desk with them? I suppose if you raise your chair the right height, it wouldn't be too bad.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline nomaded

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 00:43:36 »
Since I type in my lap, my current plan is more nearly to grab a hunk of 2"x4" and balance the halves on it, still on my lap. I'm sure everyone here will hear how that turns out.

I'm thinking of getting a LapDesk, one of the ones designed for a laptop, and use that for the ErgoDox, since I'm planning on using it at my couch.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 02:24:29 »
You don't find that the ErgoDox is too tall/too high off the desk with them? I suppose if you raise your chair the right height, it wouldn't be too bad.

Thanks for the comment. I use a keyboard tray with wrist rest, so the height is ok so far.
I am also considering to lower my keyboard tray further, but I will leave it to another day.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 09:09:15 »
You need proper tenting to use the ergodox...

The only way to use an ergodox untented is to have your elbows out sideways so you don't have to turn your wrists inwards.. 

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 14:00:09 »

The only way to use an ergodox untented is to have your elbows out sideways so you don't have to turn your wrists inwards..

I used a Kinesis Freestyle for a while without tenting and didn't have to stick my elbows out in a weird way. Is the ergodox different because the thumbclusters make it wider?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 09:25:17 »

I used a Kinesis Freestyle for a while without tenting and didn't have to stick my elbows out in a weird way. Is the ergodox different because the thumbclusters make it wider?

It depends on the table height how much your elbows will be out.

You are probably very used to turning your wrist inwards, so you did that to a degree to compensate from having to stick out your elbows.