Author Topic: To use my ergodox everywhere.  (Read 4134 times)

Offline jmchargue

To use my ergodox everywhere.
« on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 15:17:32 »
Does anyone use a surface or other tablet in conjunction with their keyboards to form a two part laptop that can be taken and used everywhere? I'm looking into this so that I can still have laptop portability, but always use my ergodox.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: To use my ergodox everywhere.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 17:40:18 »
Does anyone use a surface or other tablet in conjunction with their keyboards to form a two part laptop that can be taken and used everywhere? I'm looking into this so that I can still have laptop portability, but always use my ergodox.

The Egdx doesn't really achieve maximum potential without tenting..

And be warned.. the TRRS connectors are quite weak

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 11:34:18 »
I originally purchased my Surface Pro for that exact setup (use my E-Dox as a keyboard). However, I never really used it like that as I didn't really commute all that much.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 13:11:25 »
I originally purchased my Surface Pro for that exact setup (use my E-Dox as a keyboard). However, I never really used it like that as I didn't really commute all that much.

commuting with an extra board is too cumbersome... i tried it when I had a poker...

Egdx has twice as many cables... and they have to be detached from both sides... and you gotta store the pieces making sure they don't grind against one another ...

It's just too much hassle unless you travel to a stationary location and STAY THERE for a LONG TIME...

Offline wuqe

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 14:45:19 »
One big issue I faced was how to use it without a desktop to set it on. I use a flattened box on my lap to hold my Ergodox when I'm at home without access to a decent ergonomic desk. It is a bit of a pain but puts the keyboard at the right height without getting in the way of the rest of the family while not in use. This probably would not be as effective on board a bus or something. :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 16:17:46 »
One big issue I faced was how to use it without a desktop to set it on. I use a flattened box on my lap to hold my Ergodox when I'm at home without access to a decent ergonomic desk. It is a bit of a pain but puts the keyboard at the right height without getting in the way of the rest of the family while not in use. This probably would not be as effective on board a bus or something. :)

the box on the lap idea is actually very  good, because that is indeed the natural resting height for your arms..

I have my egdx on my table at home setup with a tilted tray (.75") thick, it touches my lap..  the tray tilts downwards..

I think I might consider an even thinner tray in the future..  perhaps a steel plate...

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 02:43:39 »

the box on the lap idea is actually very  good, because that is indeed the natural resting height for your arms..

I have my egdx on my table at home setup with a tilted tray (.75") thick, it touches my lap..  the tray tilts downwards..

I think I might consider an even thinner tray in the future..  perhaps a steel plate...
Show Image

I'd like to see that. Can you post pics? I've never seen you post any pictures on this forum.
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 01:13:26 »

Show Image

I'd like to see that. Can you post pics? I've never seen you post any pictures on this forum.

They're TP's inner circle exclusives..

In time when you prove yourself true to dox,

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 01:58:55 »

The Egdx doesn't really achieve maximum potential without tenting..

commuting with an extra board is too cumbersome... i tried it when I had a poker...

Egdx has twice as many cables... and they have to be detached from both sides... and you gotta store the pieces making sure they don't grind against one another ...

It's just too much hassle unless you travel to a stationary location and STAY THERE for a LONG TIME...

I find my edox fits easily in my laptop bag, even with the kinesis lifters for tenting so long as they are folded. You also say twice as many cables, and while this is technically true, it is also true to say one extra cable, there's a grand total of two cables you need for the dox. Not much hassle for me at all. Really, anywhere I would want to use a computer, my edox works just fine.

I have another case that's much smaller than my laptop bag that my edox and my tablet would fit in easily. I never really use it for that though since if I'm out, and not going somewhere I plan to use a computer (thus justifying the laptop bag), my phone is plenty. I do sometimes use the case for the edox on it's own if I'm going to be using a public computer.

All in all, I find the Dox just fine for portable use, though if you find a poker cumbersome, you would most likely find an ergodox the same. Personally, I'd say that a 60% is more portable than an ergodox, but an ergodox is more portable than a tkl.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 02:16:38 »

Show Image

They're TP's inner circle exclusives..

In time when you prove yourself true to dox,
Show Image

TP's inner circle. lawl
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 03:03:59 »
I've never used one, but it looks like there are a lot of products that allow you to more easily balance a keyboard & mouse on your lap. I just googled "keyboard on the lap" and it came up with a lot of results. I have a keyboard tray similar to what tp4tissue has with negative tilt, etc but it's connected it my desk. Although, I think mine is .25 inches thick. If I traveled more often I'd probably get one of the lap trays since I like the height it allows my arms to rest.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 14:14:39 »
I've never used one, but it looks like there are a lot of products that allow you to more easily balance a keyboard & mouse on your lap. I just googled "keyboard on the lap" and it came up with a lot of results. I have a keyboard tray similar to what tp4tissue has with negative tilt, etc but it's connected it my desk. Although, I think mine is .25 inches thick. If I traveled more often I'd probably get one of the lap trays since I like the height it allows my arms to rest.

Just an FYI... If your table has a table tray.. You can easily modify the mechanism to have a negative tilt.

You just need Long bolts for the front, and short bolts for the back..

You'll probably have to drill through the top surface of the table..

But that's a small price to pay for ergonomic-Tilt...

Offline nacitar

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 16:21:52 »

Could they be strengthened?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 16:58:41 »

Could they be strengthened?

not without making it really ugly..

and when i say weak.. I am more talking about the contact leaves inside the connector.. the exterior should be ok for travel as long as you're not lazy and leave the cable plugged.

But for me.. the trrs connector leaves became bent after very little use on my right side..

I just directly solder the cable to it now.. and used some liquid electrical tape around the wires.

Since mine doesn't travel, this is a fine solution for me..

But yea.. Here's hoping they use a stronger connector next time..