Author Topic: Travelling with ergonomic keyboard  (Read 2892 times)

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

Travelling with ergonomic keyboard
« on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 00:36:03 »
Has anybody had any luck travelling with an ergonomic keyboard? I'm half considering buying a specific board to take with me when I go into the home office to work for a day or two, but I am more just asking about people's general experiences and if they found something that isn't clumsy. I used my Kineses Freestyle last time and it was not the easiest thing to wrangle since it has multiple parts. Also several of my co-workers looked at me weird and asked if I had broken my keyboard.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
Re: Travelling with ergonomic keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 00:37:32 »
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 03:46:40 »
I carry either a TypeMatrix 2030 (nearly silent, thin, one piece, about the same size as my laptop), or my ErgoDox w/ a compact case (you'd need some decent bag, something like the big Beyerdynamic headphone case).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 08:30:55 »
Egdx isn't travel friendly imho..

the trrs ports are a bit fragile

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 08:39:02 »

You keep repeating it, but that doesn't make it true; people in the other thread had no problem with those connectors.

Offline wuqe

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 08:57:51 »

So take the trrs cable out when you travel, thus robbing the connectors of leverage if they get knocked about.

I've been lugging my Ergodox back and forth for work for four months now with nary an issue (except for a broken piece on the top layer of acrylic).

Weird comments have happened, but that comes with the ergo territory.

Offline wuqe

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 09:03:07 »
To clarify, to put my Ergodox in travel mode, I:

Disconnect and stow the usb and trrs cables.

Place an old hand towel directly over one half the board; it's about as wide as the board half, and three times as tall.

Place the other board half face down on top of its twin.

Fold the towel around both halves, making a Z shape in front of and in back of the whole assembly.

Pack it up!
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 January 2014, 09:10:32 by wuqe »

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 09:09:16 »
There is this old standard:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/%CE%9CTRON

Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 18:45:48 »
Has anybody used the Goldtouch Go!?

I wouldn't want to use it given any other option, but it looks nice and compact and gives you tenting and splay.

http://www.goldtouch.com/p-40-goldtouch-go2-mobile-keyboard-pc-mac-usb.aspx

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 19:26:01 »
I haven't, but there seems to be both a Go! (bluetooth) and a Go!2 (no bluetooth but smaller).

Offline Lanx

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 21:32:30 »
one time i travelled with my kinesis, but it was cuz of a month long absence, keyboard is just so... much plastic, not heavy, just takes up space.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 00:36:26 »

Those are Webwit pics! He might have made the Wikipedia article…I'll have to ask.
The UTron, only a few people have gotten it, I think HaaTaa? And everyone that's typed it loves it. Is it still the ungodly price…what was it, about $1500 USD?

Kinesis Advantage, though it looks huge, it's not, but it doesn't like to travel. I think if the cord is detachable it would be a lot easier. It's shape contributes to this. Pretty much the only way I've thought would make it easiest is a soft bag made-to-fit, that has a semi-rigid shell and dense foam with a soft liner, all that with a strap to pull it over your shoulder. That's COMMITMENT baby!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 05:31:51 »

Those are Webwit pics! He might have made the Wikipedia article…I'll have to ask.
The UTron, only a few people have gotten it, I think HaaTaa? And everyone that's typed it loves it. Is it still the ungodly price…what was it, about $1500 USD?

Kinesis Advantage, though it looks huge, it's not, but it doesn't like to travel. I think if the cord is detachable it would be a lot easier. It's shape contributes to this. Pretty much the only way I've thought would make it easiest is a soft bag made-to-fit, that has a semi-rigid shell and dense foam with a soft liner, all that with a strap to pull it over your shoulder. That's COMMITMENT baby!

One import service quoted me $600 total, including shipping for the µTron.  It might be cheaper now because  the yen has been dropping in value.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Tezkat

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 12:30:41 »
If I expect to do a lot of writing or coding on the road, I'll often take my extra TECK with me. With the wrist rest removed, it's actually quite compact. It's pretty rugged and puts up with a lot of abuse, though it's definitely on the heavy side for a travel accessory.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 03:07:41 »
By the look of it, the yogitype is designed for travel - even has it's own bag.  http://www.yogitype.com/en/shop/yogitype-with-carry-bag-detail

It's another question if it's the right keyboard for you after you've unpacked it...
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0