Author Topic: mice and nerve damage in my hand..  (Read 6676 times)

Offline atarione

mice and nerve damage in my hand..
« on: Tue, 18 December 2018, 21:59:46 »
soo.. I fell a bit over a year ago.. and had a arterial bleed on my right ring finger.. using mice is not comfortable as my ring finger which has nerve damage / tingling touches mouse and it feels very unpleasant / uncomfortable.. ambidextrous mice are better as they aren't shaped to have you hand rest on the mouse body per se.. I use a Steelseries Sensei 310 for the moment which is ~ok.. sometimes I bang my finger into it and it feels odd / unpleasant ..

I can't really feel my finger from the knuckle forward / it is tingly .. obviously something of an outlier problem.. but curious if anyone else has nerve damage in you right hand what mice / mice alternatives you use..

I tried my a ergo mouse awhile ago and it was so unpleasant.. considering my options for other than gaming (which I will still use my ambi Sensei I would assume..)

also don't fall and cut an artery in your hand.. it is unpleasant...  although you do get immediate fire / rescue help / priority in the ER..

this is the said finger ~14mos or so later..

209083-0

« Last Edit: Tue, 18 December 2018, 22:26:57 by atarione »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: mice and nerve damage in my hand..
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 December 2018, 22:11:54 »
You might want to try a Logitech trackball, the ones that use your thumb.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 18 December 2018, 22:16:12 »
yeah thumb trackball would be good

there's also trackpoint keyboards, such as the Tex Yoda, or the (non-mechanical, but cheaper) Lenovo trackpoint keyboard

Offline atarione

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 December 2018, 22:30:30 »
You might want to try a Logitech trackball, the ones that use your thumb.

I tried one of these at bustbuy (kinda got me thinking about this issue again... these won't work for me as they are "ergo shaped" and my ring finger would constantly be tingling from contact with the trackball mouse..   the finger just resting on the device is a problem.. really the finger touching anything un the underside is problematic..

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 18 December 2018, 23:56:16 »
There's also box style, with this your hand would float above the trackball."
https://www.kensington.com/c/products/control/trackballs/

I would advise not buying the cheapest trackballs in general. Unlike mice, there is actually a surprisingly large difference between a good trackball and a budget trackball. My good ones (an older Kensington and Logitech Marble), you could fling it and it would spin for a long time, my later cheaper model (a Kensington Orbit with scroll Ring), does not. It feels cheap and doesn't roll well, and that scroll ring is about cheap as they could possibly make it. I was severely disappointed with it.

That said, you can often pick up lightly used trackballs for a decent price on Ebay (usually about half) as many people buy them and find they are not quite what they like and they take a lot less abuse than mice.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 00:07:50 »
what lvl of pain is it.

If it's Extremely painful, then maybe try something else.

But if it's just Mildly painful,  the more you're exposed to it, the more the brain will adapt and decide that it's not pain over time.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 00:18:32 »
I do not have nerve damage, but I do have really touchy fingers and wrists, especially as it relates to my fingers feeling cramped or hanging off or supporting the mouse.

I have a CST trackball. It's high quality, but I personally find it a bit awkward to use because it's a little too tall and the scroll wheel is in front of the ball. Others online seem to like it a lot though. That said, there's no fixed hand position. Your hand just floats above it with either the index or middle finger moving the ball. I prefer the M570, but you said that wouldn't work.

The trackpoint on a Thinkpad (and presumably the keyboard mentioned above) is one of my favorite pointing devices. The new Thinkpad keyboards with island keys are pretty crappy though, especially the layout, so I'm not sure it's worth it just for the trackpoint.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline atarione

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 00:30:27 »
what lvl of pain is it.

If it's Extremely painful, then maybe try something else.

But if it's just Mildly painful,  the more you're exposed to it, the more the brain will adapt and decide that it's not pain over time.

I don't even know if I'd say the issue is pain exactly.. it just feels super unpleasant to have anything touch the bottom of the finger.. i can't feel things properly on the underside of the finger.. it is just a weird and unpleasant sensation.. not painful per se..  the other issue is there is nerve damage and the finger will twitch a little especially when in contact with something .. in order to use my Sensei 310 I just have to keep that finger off the mouse entirely basically.. if it is on the mouse it will start twitching and you can't accurately use the mouse at that point.

i need to train my cat Fitz to be a service cat and mouse for me.. but I think he is better at catching mice than using mice most likely..???

currently he is sitting on mouse pad twitching his tail into said finger making it act up.. not off to a great service cat start perhaps?

209087-0

Edit this is how i have to hold mouse.. ring finger off mouse.. or it twitches / freaks out ..and feels unpleasant

209089-1

« Last Edit: Wed, 19 December 2018, 00:37:32 by atarione »

Offline atarione

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 00:31:43 »
I wish someone would make a TLK sized Tex-Yoda like keyboard... I'd consider that at $300~ish might be pretty kewl.. my hands are too big / clumsy for 60% keyboards ..

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 01:00:09 »
I am not sure if this would help but perhaps one of those new ergo mice? They might redistribute the weight of the hand. There held at a 90 degree angle vs flat https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Vertical-Wireless-Mouse-Rechargeable/dp/B07FNJB8TT/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1545202746&sr=8-4&keywords=Logitech+ergo+mouse

I have thought of looking into one my self as they do look super comfy.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 02:23:04 »
Have you considered using the other hand?
Depending on how ambidextrous you are, it may not be such a problem.

The other thing you may want to try, and this may seem weird, but try a tight glove or wrapping the finger with something. The constant touch may be better than on and off and help with the twitching. It may be better to use while not using a mouse as well to help acclimate you to the sensation, like while sleeping. The human body is great as adapting, it just needs some help on occasion.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 17:26:13 »

There held at a 90 degree angle vs flat https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Vertical-Wireless-Mouse-Rechargeable/dp/B07FNJB8TT/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1545202746&sr=8-4&keywords=Logitech+ergo+mouse

You want a 45 degree mouse which is what that one actually looks like. It looks good to me but is very pricey. I have an Anker that I like a lot for a fraction of that price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anker-TM137U-98ANWVM-BA-Vertical-Ergonomic-WIRED-Optical-Mouse/263935479429?epid=1280880470&hash=item3d73c7ce85:g:83cAAOSwJhdbmtVm:rk:8:pf:0

Evoluent mice are terrible and that is the only left-hand mouse that I have found. I use a Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse on the left.

Is that an old Pioneer receiver? I think I have on that is similar from the mid-late 1970s.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Kavik

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 20:21:06 »
I wish someone would make a TLK sized Tex-Yoda like keyboard... I'd consider that at $300~ish might be pretty kewl.. my hands are too big / clumsy for 60% keyboards ..

This is pretty close to a TKL. It's the same layout as the good Thinkpad keyboards (think T420), and it's mechanical: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4260

Pretty pricey though.

Also, about switching mouse hands, I got so fed up yesterday that I ordered a left-handed trackball to switch things up when my right hand gets irritated. I'll let you know how it feels when I get it:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016QCPRBM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline atarione

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 23:48:22 »

This is pretty close to a TKL. It's the same layout as the good Thinkpad keyboards (think T420), and it's mechanical: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4260

Pretty pricey though.

Also, about switching mouse hands, I got so fed up yesterday that I ordered a left-handed trackball to switch things up when my right hand gets irritated. I'll let you know how it feels when I get it:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016QCPRBM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

oh my.. there is a lot of interesting in this post.. thanx much indeed.. hmmm I'll have to give that keyboard some thought..

I am actually left-handed.. I mouse right because well back in the day when I was a little kid nobody really gave me a choice honestly.. at home or school and  later work.. got use to it.. but that left handed trackball is kinda interesting indeed.

good stuff... thank you my friend.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 21 December 2018, 10:33:51 »

Pretty pricey though.

oh my.. there is a lot of interesting in this post.. thanx much indeed.. hmmm I'll have to give that keyboard some thought..

I am actually left-handed.. I mouse right because well back in the day when I was a little kid nobody really gave me a choice honestly.. at home or school and  later work.. got use to it.. but that left handed trackball is kinda interesting indeed.

good stuff... thank you my friend.

I received the left handed trackball last night, so I only have initial impressions.

The ball itself sucks. It's rough, and seems to be just slightly too small for the device. This causes the cursor pointing to be less precise because it can jump or get stuck suddenly when it hits a rough spot (and it just doesn't feel nice). I've seen reviews on other Elecom trackballs that state this too. Since I have a Logitech M570, I swapped the ball from it into the Elecom, and it's much nicer now (smoother and more precise). I even tried greasing the original ball up with my hands and face, but it didn't help much. It's possible it could improve with use.

I haven't had a chance to use it long term, so I can't be sure of this, but I think the chassis is more ergonomic than the M570; it's slightly beefier, and it cradles the fingers better. The ball is oriented more on the side than the diagonal of the device, which I don't prefer (maybe just because I'm not used to it).

It has a button for the ring finger that doesn't do anything by default, but apparently can be programmed. I probably won't use it because the buttons are too easy to click accidentally, even the main left and right buttons.

Overall, it seems a bit harder to point accurately and quickly than my M570, but that is likely because I am right-handed. I also think it is necessary to get a better ball. I'm not sure if it's possible to buy that separately.

YMMV since you are left handed and need something that won't irritate your right ring finger. I will continue using it and see if I get better. I like having options, so I am happy with it as an addition to my myriad of pointing devices at work.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 December 2018, 10:38:19 by Kavik »