Author Topic: A proper column layout is hard.  (Read 2089 times)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
A proper column layout is hard.
« on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 23:48:51 »
I just switched from my old layout to a proper column layout on my ErgoDox, mainly because I could tell that my old layout caused my left hand to move way too much which seemed silly since the whole point of the ErgoDox is, well, ergonomics. I can tell that this layout is definitely more ergonomic and allows for much more symmetry in hand movements between hands.

But seriously.... holy crap this is annoying. I've spent almost 20 years not hitting a key on the bottom row with my left ring finger. I almost think that learning an entirely new layout would be easier.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: A proper column layout is hard.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 23:54:46 »
As much as I love my ergoDOX, I am having the same issue, but I'm coming from using only two fingers on each hand to type and only using one of the shift keys. It means I can type really fast with one hand on a "normal" keyboard, but I'm terrible at a column keyboard.

Still, I'm learning quickly, and hopefully I'll be less embarrassed with myself later.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 03:07:57 »
... I almost think that learning an entirely new layout would be easier.

That's what I'm doing (when I get my ergo board finished). I figure it's better to learn a whole new set of motor skills then trying to "fix" the old ones. Hoping I can keep some semi-decent speed on a "normal" qwerty that way, too. The layout I like most so far is BU-Teck (or at least a slightly modified version), a columnar version of AdNW which itself is based on NEO, but updated for slightly different metrics. It's optimised more for alternation than rolls, like Dvorak (whereas Colemak is more focused on rolls) and from what I have read gives a really nice typing feel due to the rhythm and character placement. Best thing about it is that it is designed for vertically staggered columnar layout like the ErgoDox, Truly Ergonomic, etc.

suka has been using some variant of this for a while now with his BlueCube board.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 15:42:01 »
lol, I switched almost immediately. Only the default thumb cluster mapping caused me some confusion at first, but that was it. Sure, I went from a typematrix... I didn't have any issues with it either though. I has actually surprised me that I haven't had too much trouble going between staggered and symmetric layout so far.

For me, the greatest thing about symmetric layout is that I can just move my hand "up"—and number row with all its parenthesis and other special symbols is right under my fingers... no need for pseudorandom diagonal movements to find the right key.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 16:03:49 »
As much as I love my ergoDOX, I am having the same issue, but I'm coming from using only two fingers on each hand to type and only using one of the shift keys. It means I can type really fast with one hand on a "normal" keyboard, but I'm terrible at a column keyboard.

Still, I'm learning quickly, and hopefully I'll be less embarrassed with myself later.

I have achieved my nominal speed on the ergodox after 2 months.

Today, it feels like home.

When I go back to a normal keyboard, I just want to kill myself.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 16:23:08 »

I have achieved my nominal speed on the ergodox after 2 months.

Today, it feels like home.

When I go back to a normal keyboard, I just want to kill myself.
Show Image

welcome back.