Author Topic: Has anybody tried the Space Navigator 3D Mouse?  (Read 13136 times)

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
Has anybody tried the Space Navigator 3D Mouse?
« on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 07:56:32 »
My 3D architectural program recently showed how this product can be used for 3D manipulations and I was curious of anyone here has tried it.   http://amzn.com/B000LB7G00

I think that it is used to supplement a standard mouse and is not necessarily designed to replace it.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
Re: Has anybody tried the Space Navigator 3D Mouse?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 07:58:57 »
My 3D architectural program recently showed how this product can be used for 3D manipulations and I was curious of anyone here has tried it.   http://amzn.com/B000LB7G00

I think that it is used to supplement a standard mouse and is not necessarily designed to replace it.

I'm thinking of use cases but cannot think of any..
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 08:08:54 »
In my business I could see it useful for walking a client through a 3D model of a proposed building project. I don't think I would use it enough to justify the space it takes up but can see how it could be invaluable for someone who does.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 08:30:38 »
In my business I could see it useful for walking a client through a 3D model of a proposed building project. I don't think I would use it enough to justify the space it takes up but can see how it could be invaluable for someone who does.

That would be a good purpose indeed. But I don't see myself playing an FPS with it :P
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 11:43:12 »
Yea you can learn it,  but if we're gonna have to use the mouse anyway.. might as well just hotkey some rotations in there..

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 11:49:32 »
I use one of these daily. It's for manipulating 6 axis and 3D space in CAD models.

I don't think it'd be useful for games and it supplements your mouse. It doesn't replace it.

Offline ArchieTect

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 17:31:31 »
I use one for 3D modelling and gaming. I would absolutely not move forward gaming without one. Don't get much use out of it at work as a trackball with proper mappings does just as good a job.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 17:46:38 »
I could see how this could be helpful when dealing with large areas. I thought it mostly used with major 3D modeling programs like 3ds Max or Maya.

Oh, the 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO 3DX-700036 was the one I was thinking about :eek:

Offline Alline Cliff

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 04:22:17 »
Actually, this is the first time I heard about the Space Navigator 3D mouse. And I suddenly get curious about it. By the way, according to what I have read, this type of mouse is use to facilitate works with 3D experience. Likewise, it is good for those who would want to have a personal device.

Offline mind_funeral

• savior of lost fortunes
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 20:18:27 »
I use the Spacemouse Pro for work.  I'm a mechanical engineer and I can honestly say it's awesome for 3D modeling but doesn't have much use beyond that.  You can use it in Google Earth I believe but that's kinda just a novelty.  I use it to scroll web pages sometimes.  It's really meant to be used at the same time as a regular mouse or trackball -- one in each hand, on opposite sides of the keyboard.

Edit:  The keys on the Space Pro suck ass. I wish they were mechanical...
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 May 2016, 20:21:55 by mind_funeral »
Poker II.3 with Gateron Browns and SIP sockets,  Midnight/Twilight DCS
KBP V60 with Gateron Clears, EnjoyPBT Cyrillics
Topre Type Heaven

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 00:47:59 »
I have a variant: the original SpacePilot. Got it for a good price off of eBay. I keep it handy for the day that I finally sit down and learn how to use Blender or other 3D modeling software.

I originally bought it for gaming purposes, actually, but the drivers make it a pain to do that. Star Citizen keeps picking up the wrong axis and sending my ship spinning out of control, for example.

It's a shame, considering this thing was practically made for 6DoF games, and the older SpaceOrb 360 was a game controller based on the exact same tech and rightfully billed as the ultimate Descent controller. (Being able to bypass the in-game turn limits may have something to do with that!)

Offline zombiegristle

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 18:19:55 »
I have a SpaceMouse and I use it for pan/zoom when image editing (only if my hand isn't already on the Wacom) and for camera/view controls in some applications. It's not very good for gaming, both because of terrible driver support/integration and because it has a very limited physical range of movement and is only suited for precise, small movements.

Offline thp777

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 12:54:44 »
this is how i use mine. 3dsmax, gaming and scroll wheel/pan etc

Offline MJL

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 05:00:24 »
Alas, had high hopes: Tried it and did not like it for "normal" day to day typing / moving programs around. If I remember correctly (must have been four or five years ago that I had it for 4-5 months) my impression at the time was that it is fine for accurate stuff like CAD.