Author Topic: Your Preferred Text Editor  (Read 41371 times)

Offline phatdood9

Re: Your Preferred Text Editor
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 22:57:48 »
I keep moving between vim and sublime text, ST2 vim mode is kinda crappy, ST3 is a bit better, but still crashes all the time.

There is a promising plugin for ST3 that runs vim in the background and uses sublime text as a front end to it, but  its really buggy too :(

I just cant get used to how primitive the file browser is in vim, even with various plugins like command T

Offline angelic_sedition

« Reply #151 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 09:11:24 »
I keep moving between vim and sublime text, ST2 vim mode is kinda crappy, ST3 is a bit better, but still crashes all the time.

There is a promising plugin for ST3 that runs vim in the background and uses sublime text as a front end to it, but  its really buggy too :(

I just cant get used to how primitive the file browser is in vim, even with various plugins like command T

I moved back to vim cause st3 just wasn't doing it for me. You tried vintageous? I never had it crash. What is the promising plugin you're talking about?

There are plenty of good plugins for files for vim. If you use gvim, you can use a graphical file manager anyway if you want. I usually open everything from the terminal into gvim and haven't really found a use for things like NERDtree, but what is it that you're trying to accomplish? I've personally found CtrlP to better than command t and the many other alternatives. I usually prefer a system wide program over one that works for only one program (ex: file browser, screenshots, etc.) but between Ctrlp and something like NERDtree or netrw pretty much everything is covered. You can even use the mouse (eek) if you want to. There are other project management plugins too.
QWERTY(104wpm) -> CarpalxQ(modded) -> Colemak(118wpm) -> Colemak-DH
Mouse less.

Offline vyshane

« Reply #152 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 10:06:11 »
There are plenty of good plugins for files for vim. If you use gvim, you can use a graphical file manager anyway if you want. I usually open everything from the terminal into gvim and haven't really found a use for things like NERDtree, but what is it that you're trying to accomplish? I've personally found CtrlP to better than command t and the many other alternatives. I usually prefer a system wide program over one that works for only one program (ex: file browser, screenshots, etc.) but between Ctrlp and something like NERDtree or netrw pretty much everything is covered. You can even use the mouse (eek) if you want to. There are other project management plugins too.

I've been working with Zend Framework 2 lately and it finally pushed me over the edge. That framework has too many damn nested directories. FuzzyFinder + NERDtree couldn't give me a good workflow. I finally switched to IntelliJ + ideavim. IntelliJ has a Favourites filesystem tree view where I can add specific directories that I can quickly access. Oh and code completion that doesn't suck. I've come to realise that what I really love is Vim's modal editing. Not necessarily the editor itself.

I still use Vim a lot, but I'm also happy with IntelliJ / Android Studio + ideavim, and Xcode + Xvim. I'm certainly not religious about editors vs. IDEs.

Offline angelic_sedition

« Reply #153 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 11:03:18 »

I've been working with Zend Framework 2 lately and it finally pushed me over the edge. That framework has too many damn nested directories. FuzzyFinder + NERDtree couldn't give me a good workflow. I finally switched to IntelliJ + ideavim. IntelliJ has a Favourites filesystem tree view where I can add specific directories that I can quickly access. Oh and code completion that doesn't suck. I've come to realise that what I really love is Vim's modal editing. Not necessarily the editor itself.

I still use Vim a lot, but I'm also happy with IntelliJ / Android Studio + ideavim, and Xcode + Xvim. I'm certainly not religious about editors vs. IDEs.

FuzzyFinder and NERDtree? Ewe xP A favourites filesystem? You didn't like NERDtree bookmarks for some reason? What plugin were you using for code completion that sucked? Whatever works for you, but I've had no problems dealing with hundreds of directories. I can see how it could get confusing though. I'm looking into unite.vim right now which looks possibly even better than CtrlP.
Mouse less.

Offline vyshane

« Reply #154 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 19:02:30 »
I want to be able to bookmark sets of directories on a per-project basis. NERDTree saves bookmarks globally.

I am using YouCompleteMe for code completion, with Git hooks to run ctags.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #155 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 20:21:39 »
What's wrong with good ol' ultraedit..

Offline vyshane

« Reply #156 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 20:37:21 »
What's wrong with good ol' ultraedit..

Nothing. Use whatever works for you.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #157 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 00:21:58 »
I'm looking into unite.vim right now which looks possibly even better than CtrlP.

ORLY? I love me some CtrlP, if unite is better I'm definitely gonna switch

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #158 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 03:39:20 »
I'm looking into unite.vim right now which looks possibly even better than CtrlP.

There's also Gary Berhnhardt's selecta which is a general purpose fuzzy finder that you can use with Vim and whatever else besides.

Offline angelic_sedition

« Reply #159 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 13:29:29 »
I want to be able to bookmark sets of directories on a per-project basis. NERDTree saves bookmarks globally.

I am using YouCompleteMe for code completion, with Git hooks to run ctags.
Hmmm seems kind of inefficient and unnecessary to me, but if you needed to do that it probably would be harder in vim. Most plugins that support bookmarking just have one set. I know vimExplorer allows for favourites and bookmarks, but that's not much help either. You could use multiple plugins, but that would be a terrible solution as well. Maybe one of the bookmarking plugins (bookmarks.vim, vim-cdargs (kind of), FavEx, etc.) supports having multiple folders for bookmarks, but I haven't tested any of them. That or some project management plugin like myprojects. You probably could do it with NERDTree, netrw, etc. by boomarking folders for each project containing symbolic links to the ones you wanted to bookmark. I haven't tested how NERDTree would handle symbolic links to directories, but if this works, setting up the symbolic links could be done very quickly. Seems like a pretty elegant solution to me if it works. It might also be possible to just make a source for unite for each project, but that might be more tedious. I really hate using program specific file managers anyway, so I guess I can't really relate.

You think ycm sucks? :( Is intellij completion a lot better?
Mouse less.

Offline angelic_sedition

« Reply #160 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 13:37:17 »

I'm not sure if it's worth a switch, but it's definitely an interesting plugin. The documentation is a bit lacking, but it looks like it has a lot of potential (though just out of the box, I like CtrlP a lot more so far). Here's someone who seems to have done some tweaking in that regard: http://eblundell.com/thoughts/2013/08/15/Vim-CtrlP-behaviour-with-Unite.html

Selecta seems interesting as well.
Mouse less.

Offline phatdood9

« Reply #161 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 10:45:38 »

I moved back to vim cause st3 just wasn't doing it for me. You tried vintageous? I never had it crash. What is the promising plugin you're talking about?

I dunno if it is vintageous, but I get some sort of plugin host crash quite often. I would go from the terminal, but the OS X window management system gives me a lot of grief. I usually have quite a few terminal windows open, and there doesn't seem to be a way to alt tab to a single terminal window (instead of a group). I just feel like I lose my place in the editor really easily if the window keeps on getting covered up.

What's nice for me about sublime is that the file browser gives me a good idea of where I am, and I can do move/rename/copy file info operations with the mouse. I can also have it auto expand when I open a file with the completion dialog. Also nerdtree didn't seem to auto refresh on file change. I suspect that this is all possible in vim though, I've been playing off and on with getting my vimrc set up, but it its still a bit far off.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #162 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 14:16:18 »
Unite has been making the rounds among vim nerds at my workplace.  I need to check it out still, but it looks pretty cool.

Offline yakitysax

« Reply #163 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 14:25:02 »
I use Vim (7.4) when I am editing a single file, such as a config file. I use emacs (24.3, mainly using evil-mode) for everything else though; the composability of the environment and having all of the source code available all the time is incredibly freeing and empowering; it's fantastic for producing documentation and papers with Org-mode and Auctex. The learning curve of both is brutal though. If I am working with Java code though I use IntelliJ IDEA.

Offline iri

« Reply #164 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 14:41:08 »
i use idea with ideavim plugin. and i see a loooot of room for improving it.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline yakitysax

« Reply #165 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 14:48:17 »
If you read or skim the Vim reference manual sometime, there are a lot of dark corners necessary to really implement Vim's design fully. It's not a trivial undertaking by any means, and if I were doing targeting that I think it would be more efficient to expose my IDE to being used similar to how eclipse is accessible through eclim. Another editing option I see cropping up is embedding Code Mirror within a web view, however it also happens to not have a very good vim emulation.

Offline yakitysax

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 14:55:51 »
Unless it supports surround.vim, it's worthless.
Evil-mode actually does with the evil-surround extension, quite a few of Tim Pope's extensions are implemented (which is not too surprising as Pope's extensions are pretty brilliant); one thing I noticed whilst writing a new motion was that Pope's repeat.vim extension is unnecessary as new motions/text-objects "just work" or by informing evil-mode of how to handle the new text-object/motion what have you with the :repeat keyword, it grasps how to handle it, which was a really elegant solution.

Offline iri

« Reply #167 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 04:06:38 »
If you read or skim the Vim reference manual sometime, there are a lot of dark corners necessary to really implement Vim's design fully. It's not a trivial undertaking by any means
for the first time, i'll be heading for trivial things. it's going to give me some street cred anyways.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Nojo

« Reply #168 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 05:53:00 »
Notepad++ here  ;D I like the line color option

Offline eisenhower

« Reply #169 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 18:11:13 »
Vim.

That program is amazing for a long-in-the-tooth text editor. It changed my life.

Offline mooswa

« Reply #170 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 19:19:38 »
Vim.

That program is amazing for a long-in-the-tooth text editor. It changed my life.

^^^ This.

Offline MonoSky

« Reply #171 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 19:32:08 »
Vim + http://ethanschoonover.com/solarized + Penumbra(Soon...)
|| Corsair K90 Reds || KBT Race WHITE LED with Black Switches || CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid Reds

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #172 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 19:33:22 »

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #173 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 19:35:37 »
I started using vim again...

my fingers are pleased.

Offline MonoSky

« Reply #174 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 19:37:10 »
|| Corsair K90 Reds || KBT Race WHITE LED with Black Switches || CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid Reds

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #176 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 01:31:21 »
There's also Gary Berhnhardt's selecta which is a general purpose fuzzy finder that you can use with Vim and whatever else besides.

Funny you mention him, he's the guy that got me into Vim.

Offline iri

« Reply #177 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 01:36:50 »
i need a ctrl-[ keycap then.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 December 2013, 01:55:53 by iri »

-Ray Bradbury

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #178 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 01:39:47 »

Funny you mention him, he's the guy that got me into Vim.

I really like his Twitter feed because I don't feel alone in being sad about computers anymore.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #179 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 01:43:57 »
yeah, but sometimes he makes me depressed. I wanna be all like "THEN GO BE A MECHANIC YA JACK ASS". But I love the guy.

PS: Got him into the ErgoDox, too. Spreadin' the love! https://twitter.com/garybernhardt/status/369856760367951872

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #180 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 02:10:49 »
yeah, but sometimes he makes me depressed. I wanna be all like "THEN GO BE A MECHANIC YA JACK ASS". But I love the guy.

PS: Got him into the ErgoDox, too. Spreadin' the love! https://twitter.com/garybernhardt/status/369856760367951872

He's been raving about the thing. Kind of hoping he's a secret geekhacker.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #181 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 10:11:05 »
To get an idea as to what a few lines of elisp (a Lisp dialect in which you can program/customize Emacs) can do (with a cool animated .gif):

http://www.bytopia.org/2013/11/26/emacs-saves-the-day-again/

tl;dr  The guy wrote a few elisp lines allowing him to quickly (and visually) classify OCR'ed characters (with full undo capability)
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline eisenhower

« Reply #182 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 10:16:15 »
For any Mac users looking for a good free text editor akin to notebook++, check out TextWrangler. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/textwrangler/id404010395

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #183 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 11:34:28 »
Unite has been making the rounds among vim nerds at my workplace.  I need to check it out still, but it looks pretty cool.

"I love ctrl-p but it is so last year."

For people that are using an old editor they sure do like the latest plugins.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #184 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 13:06:04 »
Sure it's "old", but it's still under regular maintenance, and very active plugin development.

Offline phatdood9

« Reply #185 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 13:42:45 »

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #186 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 13:44:37 »
Looks really nice indeed!

I just hate the color.

Offline phatdood9

« Reply #187 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 13:51:59 »
I think its 3d printed, so you can get any color depending on whoever prints it ...

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #188 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 13:53:03 »
I don't have a topre board XD Was just commenting. But that guy is not selling it right? Nor the design.

Offline phatdood9

« Reply #189 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 13:56:02 »
Yeah, apparently he made both MX and topre versions, but the topre version didn't really fit correctly.

http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/engraved-vim-keycap-t5093.html

I hope he can  iron it out or maybe release the source file   :)

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #190 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 13:57:42 »
The thread is a bit old :| I don't think it's gonna happen.

I would like a tek key with a vim logo, that'd be nice.

Offline iri

« Reply #191 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 14:32:33 »
i think that using the esc key to go to normal mode in vim is a bad idea. just sayin'. not that anyone cares.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #192 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 15:04:31 »
I swapped my ` for esc. Works fine.

Offline mooswa

« Reply #193 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 15:58:45 »
In VIM you can map anything you want to Esc. Currently I map jj to Esc.  I am planning to mod my CM QFR to do Esc on CapsLock single tap.  CapsLock hold+another key will mean Ctrl+key.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #194 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 15:59:57 »
i think that using the esc key to go to normal mode in vim is a bad idea. just sayin'. not that anyone cares.

Ctrl + o takes you out of insert mode by default as well.

I've mapped jk and kj to return to normal mode since they don't appear together commonly in US English or code. This has lead to the rather unfortunate habit of noodling kjkjkjkjkkj whenever I'm thinking because it's essentially a noop now.

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #195 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 16:00:19 »
In VIM you can map anything you want to Esc. Currently I map jj to Esc.  I am planning to mod my CM QFR to do Esc on CapsLock single tap.  CapsLock hold+another key will mean Ctrl+key.

That is a really nice idea! Thank you XD

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #196 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 16:01:57 »
I had Caps Lock mapped to Esc for years.

Offline iri

« Reply #197 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 16:55:13 »

Ctrl + o takes you out of insert mode by default as well.
for one command. C-[ acts just like the esc key.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline phatdood9

« Reply #198 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 18:00:33 »
As others have said, its common to 'imap' jj or something similar to escape (I use 'jk' myself)

If you use the program keyremap4macbook (I think that is what its called) you can do the following:

bind caps lock to ctrl (skip if you have hardware hhkb)
search for "Control_L to Control_L" in the program, there is a setting that, when toggled, will send esc on key up if no other keys were pressed, or normal ctrl when pressed with any other keys.

I use this on my macbook, caps lock is much easier to access than control.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #199 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 18:08:37 »
For any Mac users looking for a good free text editor akin to notebook++, check out TextWrangler. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/textwrangler/id404010395

Already using it :)

I had Caps Lock mapped to Esc for years.

Esc Lock :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ