Author Topic: New mouse for me (with the best scroll wheel)  (Read 8689 times)

Offline Entropia

New mouse for me (with the best scroll wheel)
« on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 13:33:13 »
I've had a MX-518, which for me is the perfect mouse. I replaced it with a G400 (the first one which is grey). It has the same shape so it's very confortable and as regard performance it works very well too. The only problem I have is with the scroll wheel. It has the same shape of the MX-518, but in the G400 is not so smooth and easy to use, so my finger hurts after many scrolling, specially when I need to browse long galleries with Acdsee. This requires also a precise wheel actuation because you scroll one image per movement. Sometimes I use my keyboard for browsing these galleries, but definitelly I'll prefer to use my mouse, if my finger didn't hurt so much. What do you recommend me? I've heard the Roccat Kone Pure Optical is a very good mouse and has one of the best scroll wheels ever made. Is this true?

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
Re: New mouse for me (with the best scroll wheel)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 13:38:17 »
I use the Logitech G502 which has a nice metal wheel with very positive detents for scrolling (bonus point for having selectable freewheel scroll a la MX Revolution. If you want a wireless version, the MX Masters and G900 are all viable options and both are quite well regarded with regards to their accuracy and comfort.
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline Entropia

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 13:50:45 »
I forgot to specify that I want a wired mouse, with at least 2 thumbnail buttons and at least one extra button behind the wheel. I considered the G502, but I'm a little scared that it's not confortable with some many buttons everywhere and such agressive shapes.

Offline need

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 13:58:53 »
Contour mouse has a thumb scroll wheel, and a wheel that you can rock back and forth. They all can be programmed very easily with their software. Thumb wheels are so much better, as your index finger doesn't have to move around and thumb is the strongest finger, which fit the repetitive scrolling movement better.

The main advantage however is they offer 5 sizes for each hand, ie. xs, s, m, l, xl for the right handed, and s, m, l for the left handed.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 14:23:38 »
The direct G400 successor is G403, which has fairly good reputation AFAIK.

Offline Entropia

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 15:35:12 »
I didn't know the G403. It really looks like what I was looking for: a G502 without the excess of everything.

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 17:14:36 »
Honestly the G502 is one of the most comfortable mice I've used, right on par with the venerable MX518 and better than the G9x. TBH all of Logitech's modern gaming mice are based on the general shape of the MX518 (with a few exception like the G9), so if you're used to the shape. You will feel right at home with the G502, all the buttons are pretty much in the right place so you don't press anything accidentally, and the scrollwheel is really good, I especially appreciate the textured sides, really improve the grip on your thumb and pinky.

That said, the G403 is probably a little bit cheaper to buy  :))

Offline n3ro

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 17:34:51 »
The Roccat Kone Pure Optical and Military's use scroll wheel called Alps encoder i think.

Has a very satisfying feel, i would say kinda like topre of the scroll wheels.

But the Alps encoder can have a annoying clack sound if the scroll wheel was moved a certain way.

Don't know if it was my sample but I returned the Optical because of it.

I definately want to try it again in the future though.

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 18:03:04 »
The Roccat Kone Pure Optical and Military's use scroll wheel called Alps encoder i think.

Has a very satisfying feel, i would say kinda like topre of the scroll wheels.

But the Alps encoder can have a annoying clack sound if the scroll wheel was moved a certain way.

Don't know if it was my sample but I returned the Optical because of it.

I definately want to try it again in the future though.

Every scroll wheel uses a rotary encoder...

Offline Entropia

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 11:15:46 »
I've finally ordered a Logitech G403. It's much cheaper than the Roccat and I think it will be great replacement for my G400.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 08:52:41 »

he's talking about optical vs mechanical, they're different methods of registering scrolling. they feel quite different from one another because of their designs
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 07:50:48 »

he's talking about optical vs mechanical, they're different methods of registering scrolling. they feel quite different from one another because of their designs

Pretty sure Alps makes both mechanical and optical rotary encoders (they probably make magnetic-based ones too come to think of it, they are a pretty large electronic supplier after all). The feel of any scroll wheel is probably more dependent on the design of the detent mechanism rather than anything else. I doubt the type of encoder used has any major impact on the feel of a typical scroll wheel

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 09:47:33 »
I've finally ordered a Logitech G403. It's much cheaper than the Roccat and I think it will be great replacement for my G400.

I've had the MX500, MX518, and G400 over the years. That shape was for a long time my absolute favorite. But the 403 is just a better mouse. Better sensor, better shape, and no frills. An absolute worthy successor to the 518, and IMO it surpasses it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 11:47:11 »

I've had the MX500, MX518, and G400 over the years. That shape was for a long time my absolute favorite. But the 403 is just a better mouse. Better sensor, better shape, and no frills. An absolute worthy successor to the 518, and IMO it surpasses it.

The shape isn't even close... 

You can't lift the 403 very well.. so it wouldn't be good as a Pro quake mouse..