Author Topic: Sony HX310 [Wall'o'txt]  (Read 3721 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Sony HX310 [Wall'o'txt]
« on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 13:14:34 »
If Jesus died and was resurrected as a Monitor.  THIS IS HE !!

223730-0

PREVIOUSLY,  the Sony Professional monitor BVM X300, is a 1000nit OLED

The new Sony HX310, is its replacement as the old model is discontinued.

The HX310 is a Light modulated Cell Layer (LMCL) LCD panel. A Thorough departure from OLED.

This is Two IPS panels stacked ontop of one another. Panel by Panasonic.

Quoted (1million:1 contrast ratio),   Tested, effective 125,000:1 contrast ratio.  At peak 1000 nits luminance, it can produce simultaneous 0.008 nit blacks.

That is very very deep blacks, much blacker than even beloved Plasmas.

It's still not as black as OLED,  but being LCD, it has 2 Major advantages Over OLED .

The LMCL panels can do 1000nit FULL SCREEN.   On OLED even if is rated for 1000nit, it is hampered by ABL to prevent burnin, Oled will dim itself.. 

LCD does not have such limitation.  The OLED will be significantly Dimmer than the LCD when the HDR goes Heavy. What OLED owners will typically notice, is sudden brightness drops when an HDR element has been on the screen for more than a second or 2.

What LMCL brings to the table is SUSTAINED Eye-melting HDR performance. The LCD can push that 1000nit all day for thousands of hours continuous. OLED can push peak nit for only a few seconds.

LCDs also will never burn in,  so you can connect this to your PC and play that 20,000 hours of Dota, and those health bars will never burn to the monitor.

This gets back to the point I've always believed, OLED has no future in High End TVs.  It can never be as bright as LCD, and so within the next 20 years, LCD will easily push into that 4000-10000nit Territory, leaving OLED in the dust. 

All the technology for LCD to advance and saturate the latest HDR specification already exists and is aligned for mass-production by not only Jpn but also Hisense (China).

OLED even with the latest Top-Emissive panels will peak at 1000 nit. It will not get near the 2000nit or 4000 nit anytime soon. If that's even possible.

To get OLED into those ranges would require completely new chemistries that have yet to be invented. and even if they do come up with it, burnin will still be a problem.

LMCL LCD is nearly a complete solution. AND IT IS READY to go.

You can purchase an HX310 today for a mere $35-40,000.   THAT IS A BARGAIN for what you're getting.

In the NEAR-Future.
Hisense is the only manufacturer who has announced LMCL big screens. **(~ $2000-3000) Very affordable.

Their panel is supposedly VA-based. Which means even higher contrast ratio than the Panasonic LMCL IPS

If we estimate using VA vs IPS figures, a factor of ~6x contrast.  The IPS version being 125,000:1 , would mean the VA-type could reach as high as 750,000:1 contrast.

Now, there is some argument over whether the IPS version is enough.  I agree it certainly is for Current movie masters which only use up to 4000 nits, on Dolby Pulsar monitors.

However, IN THE FUTURE, when we saturate HDR spec at 10,000 nit,  Dual Layer VA tech will have a Distinct advantage.

@ 1000nit, that's 0.008nit blacks for IPS,  for VA, thats 0.0013_ nit.  (both types will look very good and BLACK)

HOWEVER,  @ 10,000 nits,  IPS type will rise to 0.08 nit,  vs VA 0.013_

That is a completely different scenario, @ 0.08nit, the IPS panel is very much Glowing.  whereas the VA will still look almost completely black in an only dimly lit room.

The next less than elegant barrier will be power use. the Sony HX310 uses ~330watts in 1000nit mode.  In order to push this on a 60 inch, it won't take a kilowatt, but pretty close. The hx310 is actively cooled.

This means, in the future, ACTIVELY cooled TVs may make a comeback at least on the High end.  Watercooled TVs are also not impossible, because by the time you hit 4000+ nits, it will be beyond kilowatt.

Water cooled will be necessary for smaller ultrabright sets, because their dissipation area is not enough for Air Cool.

The larger the TV, the easier it is to air cool.

Finally on COLOR:

This is NOT a quantum Dot Display. Which seems surprising at first.

We know that Quantum dot has higher color purity AND faster light decay , which not only improves total gamut, but also provides better motion clarity.

So, WHY does the Ultimate monitor NOT use Quantum Dot.

Again, this has been Tp4's long standing suspicion that, Quantum Dot is NOT very Durable. Even looking at Samsung's brochure, when they came out with newer models of QD displays, they bragged about improving the -Durability- of Quantum Dots.

As a Mastering monitor, They don't care about durability, as much as Repeatability and Stability. This is likely why Sony has continued with PFS Phosphor which is known to be highly stable and consistent over time.

Oddly for consumers, Quantum dot costs more, and is still not as stable.  So for non-calibrated systems, PFS phosphor is more resilient.

Offline fanpeople

Re: Sony HX310 [Wall'o'txt]
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 03:08:34 »
can you give me the tl;dr?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Sony HX310 [Wall'o'txt]
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 09:13:26 »
can you give me the tl;dr?

It's like the Charlize Theron of TVs.

Offline audiosl4ve