Author Topic: Regarding ErgoDox  (Read 2989 times)

Offline steve.v

Regarding ErgoDox
« on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 16:21:47 »
I plan on sourcing parts to make this board for myself and I have a question to members who owns an Ergodox keyboard. On a few instances I've seen comments about the position of the thumb keys; Is this a problem to some? I believe I have fairly medium size hands and from the looks of the ergodox, the key(s) where one may normally press for the key "spacebar" seems to be a bit further away from the home row. Should I be worried about having to stretch my thumb after every typed word to reach the spacebar key?

Offline kod

Re: Regarding ErgoDox
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 16:47:09 »
I'd highly recommend you print out a mockup of the keyboard layout before committing time / money to it.
The thumb cluster works fine for some people, but i think it's too far away.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 16:50:18 »
I plan on sourcing parts to make this board for myself and I have a question to members who owns an Ergodox keyboard. On a few instances I've seen comments about the position of the thumb keys; Is this a problem to some? I believe I have fairly medium size hands and from the looks of the ergodox, the key(s) where one may normally press for the key "spacebar" seems to be a bit further away from the home row. Should I be worried about having to stretch my thumb after every typed word to reach the spacebar key?

take a picture of ur hand next to a ruler..

then we can compare.

Offline steve.v

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 16:58:25 »
I'd highly recommend you print out a mockup of the keyboard layout before committing time / money to it.
The thumb cluster works fine for some people, but i think it's too far away.

I've actually never thought of that, good idea.

Offline steve.v

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 17:03:06 »
is this layout fairly accurate?

http://zalusithix.com/ergodox-ui/

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 19:05:47 »
is this layout fairly accurate?

http://zalusithix.com/ergodox-ui/

yes, that is 1:1..  just get the scaling right.. and ur set.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 19:10:36 »
I have medium size hands from about everything that I've seen that needs a hand measurement such as gloves, etc. I don't have a problem with the thumb keys. I'm using DSA key caps.

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 19:43:21 »
I find the thumb keys are close enough to use but too far away to rest on comfortably, like you would on a space bar. I therefore remapped space to be the first key on the bottom row next to the cluster.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 21:32:48 »
I find the thumb keys are close enough to use but too far away to rest on comfortably, like you would on a space bar. I therefore remapped space to be the first key on the bottom row next to the cluster.

yes... this is a correct assessment, it's a different feeling than the traditional spacebar in resting position.

In use, there isn't much of a hinderance.. since if you have to make some wrist movements between the 3rd and 2nd row no matter what..

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 03:46:51 »
I have rather small hands. The 2x keys are okay and I can press bottom-row keys with my thumbs/palms rather comfortably (especially the key that is the closest to the thumb cluster).

I've seen an ergodox modded to have one extra key between the thumb cluster and bottom row.

It could be interesting to use two 1x keys (and put keycaps with different profiles on them) instead of one 2x key as well.

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 04:18:06 »
It could be interesting to use two 1x keys (and put keycaps with different profiles on them) instead of one 2x key as well.

Like this?
53457-0

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 04:55:39 »
Here you go.. I made a PDF from the CAD files that you should be able to just print.

It should be scaled correctly, but do measure yourself that the keys are 3/4" wide.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 05:38:35 »

Like this?
(Attachment Link)
Yeah angled thumb, like Oobly boards :)
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 09:52:24 »

Like this?
(Attachment Link)

That doesn't look like different keycap profiles.

Offline steve.v

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 11:35:56 »
Here you go.. I made a PDF from the CAD files that you should be able to just print.

It should be scaled correctly, but do measure yourself that the keys are 3/4" wide.

Many, many thanks Findecanor, printing it out to see now.