Author Topic: Ergodox Tenting Angle  (Read 4221 times)

Offline teshdor

Ergodox Tenting Angle
« on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 07:40:41 »
Ergodox users,

At what angle, with respect to the flat plane, do you like to tent your Ergodox? If the thumb section was separate, what angle do you think you would tent it? Who likes their Ergodox flat?

Offline Data

Re: Ergodox Tenting Angle
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 08:27:14 »
I'm using mine flat for now and I'm brainstorming ideas for tenting at about 10-15 degrees.  I've seen thumb clusters further tented at a negative angle relative to the board, but don't know at exactly what angle.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 10:12:27 »
My Ergodox is tented at about 15º which I think is a good compromise. I made a modified ErgoDox with the thumb cluster set at a different plane and it feels right to me with about a 25º tent.

While some tenting is helpful for lessening wrist pronation it can be more easily compensated for with different hand placement.  I have found avoiding ulnar deviation and any wrist extension is more critical for me.While tenting is helpful, having a neutral or negative tilt front to back and skewing the halves to keep them in line with your forearms  are probably higher priorities in my opinion

Offline wuqe

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 13:16:18 »
I'm flat for now, but am considering getting some instamorph and making some feet for it, at which point I will also consider tenting. Personally, though, I am enjoying the flat usage enough that I am not to concerned about it. 

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 14:56:38 »
flat at home, but at work I used the Griffiti wrist pad to tent it ... not sure what angle that works out to but it can't be more than about ten degrees. If you have the desk for it tenting is nice but at home I much prefer to type on my lap -- so I use an old switchplate as a 'desk' and the switch holes 'grab' the screw heads and keep anything from sliding around.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 15:09:02 »
I've been recently using the halves next to each other, tented at about 5° angle and with tall thumb keys that complement the tenting.

I've tried to use it vertically (about 70°) as well, but switched back until I build a height-adjustable tray. 20-60° angles appeared to be another option, but again, I should upgrade the tray first.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 15:37:52 »
I would recommend a ~45° angle or even more, but if that seems too extreme, even 15–20° is a lot better than flat.

Offline nomaded

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 02:17:45 »
I use a Kinesis Freestyle2 V3 on my classic hand case, and a Freestyle2 VIP on my full hand case. I have them attached with 3M command strips with duallock, so I can easily take them off and put them back on. Both are set to 10 degrees. I keep both halves about 4-5 inches apart.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 09:59:25 »
minimum of 35* horizontal..  <- this is dependent on your elbow height relative to the "plane"

My type surface is on an incline towards me of 15*

I also have another 20* of vertical in that direction.

There is no one size fits all, because  EVEN if you're sitting in the same position.. If you get tired and slouch a bit more,  it changes how the inclines would feel..

So.... to compensate for that, I find that Having a wrist rest for when you're slouching is best..

But do not get the full hand ergodox, because that is in the end less adjustable.