Author Topic: What type of internet do you have and how fast is it?  (Read 7700 times)

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
What type of internet do you have and how fast is it?
« on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 16:23:38 »
I just realized I am paying a crap load for internet (~80 bucks a month for AT&T HSI Elite + home phone) and speeds are really slow (in my opinion)...

At&T hsi elite is advertised to be 3.1 Mbps - 6 Mbps download and 512 Kbps - 1 Mbps Uplod.

I am only getting 5Mbps download speed and .65Mbps, is this slow?

Should I look into switching providers?

It'd be cool if some of you can chime in on your speeds! http://www.speedtest.net/ to test your speeds!
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline iri

(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
Re: What type of internet do you have and how fast is it?
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 16:38:17 »
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 16:40:19 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58784.0

Enjoy.

Thanks TIL I learned my internet is garbage...  :-X

For reference, I paid ~40-45$ a month for 5mbps up/128-256kbps down from comcast ~12 years ago  :))

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 16:45:37 »
Australian internet. Provided by Australia. Guaranteed slower than the rest of the world.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 19:35:20 »
Australian internet. Provided by Australia. Guaranteed slower than the rest of the world.

I feel ya buddy..  I'm on der' China internet..  the DL speed is fine,  but I got virtually no UL..  all ports are monitored and blocked even through vpn

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 19:53:04 »

I feel ya buddy..  I'm on der' China internet..  the DL speed is fine,  but I got virtually no UL..  all ports are monitored and blocked even through vpn
How do they block ports through a VPN? That's an encrypted tunnel.

I've got AT&T business U-Verse 24/6, about $90/mo. with static IP. It's pretty nice.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 19:59:50 »

How do they block ports through a VPN? That's an encrypted tunnel.

I've got AT&T business U-Verse 24/6, about $90/mo. with static IP. It's pretty nice.

Well through vpn, they're not looking out for ports,   they just throttle my upload all together, when they see a sustained rate..

Offline raymogi

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 20:01:40 »
50Mbps download and paying US$200 a month.

Welcome to the 3rd world country.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 20:09:25 »

I got 100 dl, 15 ul

but basically it's  2ul sustained..

Offline raymogi

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 20:11:22 »

I got 100 dl, 15 ul

Last time I checked they have 100mbps also but it's not available in my apartment building, costs $250.

Not gaming at all these days, well maybe Hearthstone sometimes, so I decided to just stick with 50. It's fast enough for download and streaming.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 20:28:03 »

I got 100 dl, 15 ul

Last time I checked they have 100mbps also but it's not available in my apartment building, costs $250.

Not gaming at all these days, well maybe Hearthstone sometimes, so I decided to just stick with 50. It's fast enough for download and streaming.

oh god hearthstone.. i want play, but I'm scared...

Offline raymogi

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 20:32:31 »
oh god hearthstone.. i want play, but I'm scared...

Yes it's super addictive, I've spent quite a lot on it already  :))

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 00:15:08 »

We have NBN!

Eventually.

Maybe.

At least FTTN.

Eventually.

Maybe.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 02:08:55 »

We have NBN!

Eventually.

Maybe.

At least FTTN.

Eventually.

Maybe.

Yup current house registers that they wont be installing in my area any time soon  :rolleyes:

Luckily my new house registers registers as "preparations being made for installation"  :p

[/quote]

Man that sucks, I bet your US internet was much better... than going to that would suck. At least I have always had bad internet so I don't know any better.

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 02:27:04 »

$50 a month

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 02:39:40 »
Rowdy operates in a Flash-free zone :))

118036-0
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 02:50:16 »

(Attachment Link)

I did it on my iPhone, which most certainly doesn't support flash.  :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 03:05:00 »

(Attachment Link)

Yeah, but then I'd have to capture the screen, and email it to myself, and startup my email client, and ..............

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 03:41:01 »

(Attachment Link)

Yeah, but then I'd have to capture the screen, and email it to myself, and startup my email client, and ..............

Or just upload straight to imgur from your phone lol

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 04:09:23 »

(Attachment Link)

Or just upload straight to imgur from your phone lol

imgur, means registering, linking ...

Offline iri

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 07:28:40 »
registering is not required there
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline jaffers

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 07:32:04 »
"Fiber" 100mb/s down 5mb/s up, 500gb data cap, $113 a month.

Welcome to Australia.

Offline hudson0804

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 11:18:26 »
We Brits do ok for broadband in the right regions. I have 150meg down 10 meg up £38 per month no usage cap.

Offline iri

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 11:18:57 »
We Brits do ok for broadband in the right regions. I have 150meg down 10 meg up £38 per month no usage cap.
Which provider? And where you are?

-Ray Bradbury

Offline dutC4

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 11:27:45 »
 :blank:
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 December 2016, 14:57:50 by dutC4 »

Offline hudson0804

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 14:29:19 »

Virginmedia. In the West Midlands not too far from Birmingham.

Offline iri

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 14:50:09 »

Virginmedia. In the West Midlands not too far from Birmingham.
I'm jealous now :(

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 01:32:09 »
Germany Deutsche Telekom
103 down 42 up with pings in the 30s to frankfurt, UK, France, Netherlands.
Paying 45€ including a rented router

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 03:33:02 »
Germany Deutsche Telekom
103 down 42 up with pings in the 30s to frankfurt, UK, France, Netherlands.
Paying 45€ including a rented router

Yeah, but you're in Europe and connected to everything.

Down here we're not connected to anything (except New Zealand).

Offline DukeMugen

• +1
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 10:31:35 »
I don't want to brag, but to answer the question... I got 500mbps for 60 singapore dollars. Phoneline and cable included. Yes, the world is unfair.
let me check my wallet.

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 10:43:40 »
40Mbps download & 28Mbps upload for probably more than you pay.  Golly gee, I love Canadian ISPs! kill me now
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 11:12:50 »
8Mbps Down and 900KB Up (between 900Kb to 1Mb)

So pretty bad but I can like download like one game a day and its unlimited so that's good.

I usually just end up using works internet to download anything really :X

My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 12:08:37 »
50Mbps download and 30Mbps upload, paying R$ 91/month (that's ≈ $24 by today's exchange rate). I believe it is ADSL over optical fiber, although it may not have this name. Whatever, I don't work on IT for almost 10 years now...

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 14:03:17 »
paying xfinity ~$80 for 150mb/s download and 15mb/s upload. my modem only support 100mb/s download tho  :))

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 14:14:34 »
The ****ty kind that costs me too much
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Tuntematon

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 16:24:26 »
Cable: 30 Mbps DL, under 3 Mbps UL. $73 CAD/month. 300GB monthly cap but my ISP doesn't charge for overages at this time, so it's semi-unlimited.

5 is quite slow, I wouldn't settle for less than 20.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 16:32:26 »
paying xfinity ~$80 for 150mb/s download and 15mb/s upload. my modem only support 100mb/s download tho  :))

I had your same problem but comcast sent me a new modem that could handle faster speeds. I would contact them and see if you can get a replacement, they do charge a monthly few for the old one until you send it back though. I'm getting around 175mb/s download and about 12mb/s download now.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 16:38:22 »
Cable, 100 down, 10 up, but it's actually more like 50 down, 5 up. 40€ / month, but it includes modem, digibox, tv access and other services.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 19:57:28 »

they're suppose to give you a new modem, docsis 3, when you get their 150 service.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 19:58:46 »
I don't want to brag, but to answer the question... I got 500mbps for 60 singapore dollars. Phoneline and cable included. Yes, the world is unfair.

But you can't do drugs in singapore, i heardz they will kill you

All the GH potheads can't go there.

Also, headsup,  they HAVE gigabit service in the USA for $50 USD per month,  but just NOT everywhere.