Author Topic: What's your ideal tent angle? (especially for split layout)  (Read 8360 times)

Offline bendrexl

What's your ideal tent angle? (especially for split layout)
« on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 12:37:14 »
Hey all - I'm working on an adjustable tent addon for the Infinity Ergodox, and want to get a sense what the spread is for tenting angles that work best for folks. Bonus points for tilt angle :)

Pictures of successful tent/tilt angles are helpful also, especially if you don't know the exact angle.

Attached is a photo of mine, though my tent angle is way too low currently. My surface has a -4deg slope, and I can tweak the height easily.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 January 2017, 13:09:15 by bendrexl »

Offline bendrexl

Re: What's your ideal tent angle? (especially for split layout)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 13:06:28 »
Also, I did do a bit of digging, but feel free to point to other resources if you have any handy.

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 13:51:03 »
I would say around 40° is a good compromise between ergonomics and stability. More might be ergonomically better but that comes with stability and design problems, above 45° you start tipping the keyboard instead of working with gravity. Less than 30° seems pointless as there is barely a benefit. As for tilt, a slight negative slope away from the typist might be good. Too much can cause problems with tall setups, so maybe it should be adjustable, only a little, or none at all.
Did I understand correctly that you are designing for (semi-)commercial, ie. not only personal. I just might be interested if the price (and final design) is right.

Offline bendrexl

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 14:05:14 »
Thanks for the info! 40° sounds good - I'm trying to nail down a reasonable adjustable range min-max for a case w/built-in tenting.

And yes, I want to make this available for others, since there's still not a decent ICED rest & tent solution I wanted to make one I would actually want to buy (not just my hacked & hotglued mess I've been living with the last several months).

The final product will be a full-hand case that replaces the bottom 3 acrylic layers of the stock ICED case - CNC'd from bamboo plywood is the current plan, though I could do most any material. I plan to post something in the Interest Check board in the next 2-4 weeks.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 14:55:20 »
Opinions about tenting angles are very subjective. I find that 15 degrees is more than adequate for me. More may be slightly better but not worth the negatives that come with it. Negatives like awkward transitions to and from mouse, bulky look on desk, and gravity working against you, all added up to me deciding on the more conservative angle.

Offline need

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 15:03:02 »
Anything under 30° doesn't make any difference to me. So 30° is the minimum.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 15:04:38 »
Opinions about tenting angles are very subjective. I find that 15 degrees is more than adequate for me. More may be slightly better but not worth the negatives that come with it. Negatives like awkward transitions to and from mouse, bulky look on desk, and gravity working against you, all added up to me deciding on the more conservative angle.

Totally agree.  I have been using a Cherry MX5000 for the last week or so and found that I actually prefer no tent at all and just the open angle of about 25 deg or so. 
Here I had a on the lower tent setting (roughly 10 to 15 deg?).  I lowered it a couple days later and it significantly improved the feel for me. 
158107-0
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 15:48:59 »
70 degrees is approximately the neutral angle of the wrist.

But factoring in the thickness of the mechanical keyboard (ergodox cherry)

Then 50-55 Degrees is the maximum achievable

You need 130mm of total screw length below the inner most screw hole on the thumb cluster to get this angle on an ergodox.

Tp4 uses 1x 100mm + 1x 50mm  with a standoff in the middle to bolt them together.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 17:33:04 »
I've generally been pleased with 15 degrees or so.  I might do more at times but a mild tilt is all I generally need.

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 18:54:57 »
Well, I think anatomically tenting angles are objective, but then of course it's personal preference if you need/want/like it or not. I find that if I write a long session on a flat keyboard, then afterwards my hands feel a little numb until I shake them around. With enough tenting this problem is reduced significantly. If you place both your hands on the table in thumbs up position, hold there a while, and then tilt thumbs pointing at each other flat on the table, do you not feel an increase in tension? I find the tension begins around half way, with anything below that feeling almost as bad. The lower the table is, the less the impact.

I can relate to your negatives, but IMO the positives outweigh the negatives, I guess this is the subjective part. As far as bulky look goes, I've toyed the idea of getting a semi thick piece of sheet metal, drill holes and shape to match the ergodox case, then bend the metal sheet to create an open wedge. If necessary, add flat supports running inside against the wedge to improve the solidity, while keeping an open design. For wrist support you could add a raised flat surface in front of the keyboard, somehow matching in design, for a place to rest hands. If done professionally this design could look good on any modern table.

Offline bendrexl

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 19:08:05 »
A big "thank you" for all the input - as I'm narrowing down my parts list I'll focus on the 15-45deg range.

If I have to resort to 'stepped' adjustments, would 0-15-30-45deg points be granular enough? Those values just seem arbitrary to me, I'd love to be able to back up adjustment points with data.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 23:04:13 »
A big "thank you" for all the input - as I'm narrowing down my parts list I'll focus on the 15-45deg range.

If I have to resort to 'stepped' adjustments, would 0-15-30-45deg points be granular enough? Those values just seem arbitrary to me, I'd love to be able to back up adjustment points with data.

Do not go with steps.

The reason is..  The tenting angle will vary depending on the typing surface height relative to the elbow height relative to the shoulder.

Steps will not properly accommodate these variances.

Also, 55 degrees + should be the aim..