Author Topic: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)  (Read 4212693 times)

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
Re: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)
« Reply #28850 on: Mon, 23 August 2021, 15:14:29 »
I was so infatuated with my job (hostile workplace, crap manager, mentally abusive owner) that I just YOLO'ed it
Infatuation is positive, did you really love the work but the people were bad enough to quit anyway or is it the wrong word?

After quitting and taking a paycut in the name of happiness twice I'd rather go it alone but lack the imagination to see anything I could do without many thousands in the bank, which I don't have.

What I meant by infatuated is a short-term deep admiration. I was hired by a manager who I absolutely loved to work with; he eventually got a job offer elsewhere where people were treated like human beings for a change and I was left. I loved the job -- high-tech firm -- and I learned so much there. The owner passed and his son, who was trained in financial administration rather than engineering, thought it was a good idea to run the company in some sillicon-valley-esque way he thought was "competitive" and "modern". My final straw was when he separated the design team in two  and whoever came with the best selling product would stay; the other half would be fired. I told him to get lost (putting it mildly, in actuality I cursed him down to his fourth generation of descendants) and quit.

I would be a team manager by now, the company grew immensely but always at the expense of naive graduates like me. But then again, I don't loathe mondays anymore. To ease the pain I started drinking heavily -- I am pretty sure if I stayed I'd be deep down in that hole by now
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 August 2021, 15:16:21 by Gondolindrim »
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28851 on: Mon, 23 August 2021, 15:37:05 »
I see - strange but totally understandable, it's sad that his crazy ideas paid off but that's the ****ty world we live in.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #28852 on: Mon, 23 August 2021, 15:53:59 »
I see - strange but totally understandable, it's sad that his crazy ideas paid off but that's the ****ty world we live in.

It is what it is. I don't find it sad, I have a good life. I live in a deeply poor country yet I get to enjoy luxury like good food and keyboards most in the world don't. At the end of the day, hoarding money becomes senseless.
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline yui

« Reply #28853 on: Mon, 23 August 2021, 15:56:11 »
last year, before i changed manager, well no we changed about 3 months before she started her abuses, i loved Mondays, it was a best day of the week, loved my job, and when she was on vacation or on maternity leave i had the chance to enjoy my job again, it is just her making the whole thing hell on earth... it is why i am trying not to quit, but HR did not answer anything today so let's try again tomorrow... also back then the whole service was in one office instead of 4 now (still at the same location, just separated) and everyone was friendly, now far less... well part of the unfriendliness towards me is my fault but the others toward each others is not. i just do not know what to do next, just looked at my hardware projects and found out that i can't complete them because no chips, i am rather burned out on programing and have very low network experience.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #28855 on: Mon, 23 August 2021, 16:43:32 »
last year, before i changed manager, well no we changed about 3 months before she started her abuses, i loved Mondays, it was a best day of the week, loved my job, and when she was on vacation or on maternity leave i had the chance to enjoy my job again, it is just her making the whole thing hell on earth... it is why i am trying not to quit, but HR did not answer anything today so let's try again tomorrow... also back then the whole service was in one office instead of 4 now (still at the same location, just separated) and everyone was friendly, now far less... well part of the unfriendliness towards me is my fault but the others toward each others is not. i just do not know what to do next, just looked at my hardware projects and found out that i can't complete them because no chips, i am rather burned out on programing and have very low network experience.

Unfortunately decisions have consequences. I was always trained in research R&D and today my keyboard PCBs are what support me, but I had to basically re-learn engineering.  Took me tears and sweat, and I had to do it while a master's and doctor's studies were taking place.

I stand by my decision, it worked out for me. But it was not an easy decision and its consequences echoed for years, lost all my relationships and a six-year girlfriend I loved deeply because I am simply too busy all the time. Everything comes at a cost.

So I would try to remedy the situation first and foremost. My case, I believe, was the end-all-be-all case, I had done everything I could and I was put aside everytime for an year or so before throwing poopoo to the fan.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 August 2021, 16:50:37 by Gondolindrim »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28856 on: Mon, 23 August 2021, 17:11:10 »
Head to 'Murica,  start marijuana farm.

'Murica grows 'tegrity

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28857 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 03:53:51 »
Jealousy.

In 15 years of working I have never looked forward to a Monday morning, nor have I known how to make it so I would or I would have gone for it.  When you don't enjoy work it's harder to do stuff that's also not fun when you have free time but it's clear that is what needs to be done.  Still doesn't help with the knowing what to do though.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 August 2021, 04:07:41 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #28858 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 05:00:09 »
there is bit of good news, HR responded and told me i could call tomorrow, so that's great, now just need to fight my fear of hurting my manager, that added to all the fears related to that other woman...
at least i have a good reason to "hurt" her as if i do not she will hurt some else than me when i leave so need to do something, either i hurt someone bad by my action or an innocent by my inaction. why is this world so ****ed up?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28859 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 08:13:38 »

either i hurt someone bad by my action or an innocent by my inaction

Without knowing the details it is hard to advise, but cascading waves of fault and blame are almost always counter-productive. Would it be possible to couch the bad behavior as "unthinking" or "careless" rather than deliberately cruel?

Is there a way to say something like "she may not have known how bad this sounded?" or "she may have intended this as a joke, but it was extremely hurtful to me?".
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline yui

« Reply #28860 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 13:53:05 »

either i hurt someone bad by my action or an innocent by my inaction

Without knowing the details it is hard to advise, but cascading waves of fault and blame are almost always counter-productive. Would it be possible to couch the bad behavior as "unthinking" or "careless" rather than deliberately cruel?

Is there a way to say something like "she may not have known how bad this sounded?" or "she may have intended this as a joke, but it was extremely hurtful to me?".
the things that makes me say that is that, it has been more than a year, every time i told her that what she was doing was hurting me it made her do it even more, and i am not the 1st one, in the 3 months between her taking the post and going after me she was going after an other coworker, and when he complained to her manager she stopped going after him, one day to the next she learnt what was bad to him and forgot to me.
and a few examples that would i feel never sound good would be to tell me that i should have killed myself, faking to cancel my vacation (while the company was closed) a week before they start (while if i ask less than 2 week early they are automatically refused), organizing a meeting just me and her to tell me that a friend dear to me is not giving them any news (for 1.5 hours) and may never come back, menacing my job and the job of others because i took my pause 5minutes bit late while the company policy is 15minutes. i tried for a long time to see incompetence instead of malice but things accumulate.
honestly i should have stopped thrusting her a lot earlier and there would have been a lot less pain all around, maybe as soon as she told me to kill myself, should have been a red flag...
still thanks

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28861 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 13:55:55 »
RTX is drastically overrated and is really just a fancy filter that uses far too many resources for what you get in return.
Change my mind.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #28862 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 17:24:24 »
RTX is drastically overrated and is really just a fancy filter that uses far too many resources for what you get in return.
Change my mind.

Agreed. I have a GTX1060 and it still plays all modern games in high settings.

That being said, **** scalpers and flippers. For the record, yeah, I said the f-word.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #28863 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 17:38:31 »
Change my mind.

You're not wrong, but the actual science behind it is remarkable. I remember watching one of the Star Wars RTX demos a few years back with a CG professor, and he all but lost his mind.

RTX might not feel like a bit step now, but I have a feeling it'll really come into its own once compute resources catch up.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #28864 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 18:14:16 »
RTX is real lighting. It is amazing that we have the compute power to do it in real time at all.

For artists it's a whole new world of possibilities.

Offline yui

« Reply #28865 on: Wed, 25 August 2021, 08:22:55 »
well i have still not found the job of HR, dealing with harassment ain't it, told me they would send me the contact of the ethics service... so back to 0...

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #28866 on: Wed, 25 August 2021, 19:25:08 »
well i have still not found the job of HR, dealing with harassment ain't it, told me they would send me the contact of the ethics service... so back to 0...

Quick note. If you can, start recording conversations, keep a record of email / SMS / instant messages . In the eventuality of legal repercussions, these will come in handy if you can catch them being outright disrespectful.

I recorded every single conversation I had with my abusive boss and that played so well in my favor that when I cursed his guts he threatened legal action, but gave up once I showed him all the material I had on him. I also send that material to all my coworkers so they have some leverage on him now, which I was told they used to get better working conditions later.

Offline yui

« Reply #28867 on: Thu, 26 August 2021, 01:49:18 »

Quick note. If you can, start recording conversations, keep a record of email / SMS / instant messages . In the eventuality of legal repercussions, these will come in handy if you can catch them being outright disrespectful.

I recorded every single conversation I had with my abusive boss and that played so well in my favor that when I cursed his guts he threatened legal action, but gave up once I showed him all the material I had on him. I also send that material to all my coworkers so they have some leverage on him now, which I was told they used to get better working conditions later.
a few peoples told me that, the only thing is that she is not stupid, only ever talk to me one on one and here it is illegal to record someone without their consent so i doubt she would act the same if she knew she was recorded all the time, the only thing is that i know of one previous victim so that could help me...

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28868 on: Thu, 26 August 2021, 03:43:12 »
it is illegal to record someone without their consent
Is verbal abuse not illegal too?  I'd contact the police on a non-emergency number and ask their opinion on the matter.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #28869 on: Thu, 26 August 2021, 07:28:49 »
yeah both are illegal, but i feel like if i use illegally obtained proofs it will go nowhere, and back then i was way too stupid to even think about recording anything anyhow.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #28870 on: Thu, 26 August 2021, 16:16:53 »
it is illegal to record someone without their consent
Is verbal abuse not illegal too?  I'd contact the police on a non-emergency number and ask their opinion on the matter.

Depends on country and if I remember correctly, in the US, also depends on the state. Here in Brazil the current supreme court jurisdiction is that defense is unlimited while offense is limited, as in, the defense can use illegally obtained proof and the accusation cannot. If you are accusing someone of harming you, then in some court cases illegal recordings have been accepted as evidence. That being said, I would still do it and keep those to myself. Emails, SMS, instant messaging are perfectly legal to keep.

I don't know about the police, but I would (like I did) talk to a lawyer about all of this and hear their opinion.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #28871 on: Thu, 26 August 2021, 16:36:06 »
****. Gondolindrim is in this thread. I'm not spilling my beans here.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28872 on: Thu, 26 August 2021, 17:21:50 »
no wonder my favorite hobby has been ruined

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28873 on: Thu, 26 August 2021, 18:28:06 »

I TOLD YOU GUYS this was happening with those worthless Click Clacks.  Price being driven up by shill buying.

But you guys kept falling for it.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28874 on: Thu, 26 August 2021, 19:22:29 »

I TOLD YOU GUYS this was happening with those worthless Click Clacks.  Price being driven up by shill buying.

I mean to be fair CC's were mostly being sold and traded between the same people.
But try finding a CC these days, or even more, one in a color you are looking for. If I couldn't nab a turquoise CC 8 years ago, I sure as **** aint never gonna find one these days.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28875 on: Thu, 26 August 2021, 19:55:54 »

I mean to be fair CC's were mostly being sold and traded between the same people.
But try finding a CC these days, or even more, one in a color you are looking for. If I couldn't nab a turquoise CC 8 years ago, I sure as **** aint never gonna find one these days.

The price hike was perpetrated by a small group of people, CC was in on the whole thing. It was 1 big con. Just like the game video you linked.

I noticed this immediately right as it became popular because there were several people who already had trouble selling their for profit clacks.  It took an extremely long time for them to offload and they didn't make nearly the same kind of profits like those Shill ebay sales.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28876 on: Thu, 26 August 2021, 20:10:28 »

The price hike was perpetrated by a small group of people, CC was in on the whole thing. It was 1 big con. Just like the game video you linked.

I dunno about that theory. I wasn't in on anything and basically paid my rent for an entire year selling off my CCs, and they would sell in literal minutes after posting them.
Clacks were like the crypto of Geekhack for a time, except unfortunately you cannot mine more.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28877 on: Thu, 26 August 2021, 20:19:12 »

I dunno about that theory. I wasn't in on anything and basically paid my rent for an entire year selling off my CCs, and they would sell in literal minutes after posting them.
Clacks were like the crypto of Geekhack for a time, except unfortunately you cannot mine more.

Your luck was to sell during hype.  and the collectors are smooth brained enough to hold.  You got real money, Collectors hodle some bits of plastic.

It'd be trivial for them to start another one of these bubbles.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28878 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 01:13:30 »

Your luck was to sell during hype.  and the collectors are smooth brained enough to hold.  You got real money, Collectors hodle some bits of plastic.

It'd be trivial for them to start another one of these bubbles.

I think there is intrinsic artistic value attached to them, as with any artisan cap. Their value can only be quantified by the buyers desire to obtain the piece.

The same cannot be said for a factory mass-produced product like a sealed game.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 August 2021, 01:15:45 by noisyturtle »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28879 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 03:56:22 »
It's been 10 days since I arrived home with covid while riding an emotional high like nothing I've experienced before and those 10 days have been spent in my bedroom doing nothing.  Throughout I have had a stronger drive to do something, anything, that I enjoy, so I have something to look forward to on a daily basis rather than hating the ~250 days a year I have to work.  I have not been able to identify a suitable activity, now work looms large and my high is fading with the symptoms.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28880 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 05:42:47 »
I think there is intrinsic artistic value attached to them, as with any artisan cap. Their value can only be quantified by the buyers desire to obtain the piece.

The same cannot be said for a factory mass-produced product like a sealed game.

There is very little artistry in a clack, it's trivial to mass produce, it's trivial to counterfeit, impossible to authenticate.  A third party can easily swoop in and crash the price at any time.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28881 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 05:44:25 »
It's been 10 days since I arrived home with covid while riding an emotional high like nothing I've experienced before and those 10 days have been spent in my bedroom doing nothing.  Throughout I have had a stronger drive to do something, anything, that I enjoy, so I have something to look forward to on a daily basis rather than hating the ~250 days a year I have to work.  I have not been able to identify a suitable activity, now work looms large and my high is fading with the symptoms.

Cello ?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28882 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 06:10:20 »
Cello ?
As with your previous musical suggestions - is it fun making noise as a newbie?  No.  And if after years of forcing myself to get anything like good then what, I can play music few would recognise. Though there would be no audience so that wouldn't matter.

You can apply the same over-negative attitude to any suggestion, and I do.  Archery or throwing knives look fun but they are useless skills and as a newbie I'm going to damage stuff, not to mention there are laws to consider (pretty sure you can't just wander to a local park with a bow and start shooting it!)  The only thing which kinda works is learning to weld to make crazy bicycles and I could potentially sell them to recoup some of the costs, but the money involved is significant and it's a noisy outdoor activity so not ideal for after work when you have neighbours.  And instead of making bad noise as a newbie you're literally burning money with nothing to show for it except randomly attached bits of scrap metal.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28883 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 06:18:35 »
Cello ?
As with your previous musical suggestions - is it fun making noise as a newbie?  No.  And if after years of forcing myself to get anything like good then what, I can play music few would recognise. Though there would be no audience so that wouldn't matter.

bad noise as a newbie you're literally burning money with nothing to show for it except randomly attached bits of scrap metal.

Once you reach a certain point as a Hughmahn  you're at the edge of your intellect. You may discover something by trying new things, you may not.    But it's a certainty we'll only have more frustration by standing still.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28884 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 06:34:15 »
Once you reach a certain point as a Hughmahn you're at the edge of your intellect. You may discover something by trying new things, you may not.    But it's a certainty we'll only have more frustration by standing still.
Can't argue with that.  A violin or flute would be easier than a cello to throw in a cupboard and forget about if I don't love it though

The other option is to spend my free time learning something with the target being a better job, that's guaranteed not fun.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 August 2021, 06:37:20 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28885 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 07:46:47 »
Do you enjoy physical activity? Martial arts are not necessarily violence-oriented and yield excellent results both physical and mental.

What art forms do you appreciate? Enjoying the art itself and learning about its history can be rewarding. The amount of music, film, history, etc, available online is beyond comprehension.

Do you like working with your hands? There are limitless possibilities of things to make, either to sell or to give away. Furniture, bird houses, outdoor fixtures, ceramics, sculpture ....

Just avoid the easy route - falling into an online rabbit hole of conspiracy theories and radicalization.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28887 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 09:13:55 »
Do you enjoy physical activity? Martial arts are not necessarily violence-oriented and yield excellent results both physical and mental.

What art forms do you appreciate? Enjoying the art itself and learning about its history can be rewarding. The amount of music, film, history, etc, available online is beyond comprehension.

Do you like working with your hands? There are limitless possibilities of things to make, either to sell or to give away. Furniture, bird houses, outdoor fixtures, ceramics, sculpture ....

Just avoid the easy route - falling into an online rabbit hole of conspiracy theories and radicalization.
I did karate for a couple of years until my wrist started playing up and it still does.  After a gap I got a job where I cycled an hour or two for my daily exercise and didn't notice any mental benefits and this is day 11 of basically sitting in this chair and my mood is still notably above baseline so I don't think exercise does much for me mentally.  The only bonus is doing more physically means sleeping more

Another aspect (or maybe related) is that I'm Autistim-y which affects this is in multiple ways.  I lack imagination to create art and have low desire and ability when it comes to forming relationships so have few people to give things (or play music) to, I would love to carve jewellery in wax then cast it in metal but the block of wax and tools have sat in a box for years due to lack of inspiration.

The opportunity to join a proper off-grid cult is somewhat appealing but reading conspiracies online isn't so no worries there.

That leaves becoming a walking encyclopedia of something that no-one will access which also doesn't sound great or getting good enough at making something that someone would want to buy it.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28888 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 10:07:18 »

I would love to carve jewellery in wax then cast it in metal but the block of wax and tools have sat in a box for years due to lack of inspiration.

Copy existing work that you appreciate. My mother went to school with a writer (John Bowers) who eventually wrote a number of books on various subjects, but the first one "The Colony" was largely autobiographical.

Fresh out of school, he went to a "writers colony" where the owner/headmistress nurtured aspiring writers by setting them in cabins in the woods and having them type (this was in the early-1950s when it was all manual typewriters) copies of great novels that they admired. It was a full-time job, all day, every day, for months on end. Her philosophy was that your brain and your hands had to learn what great work really "felt" like before you could create original work of your own. One of his first books was "Helene" which was a "Lolita" re-make set in modern (late-1950s) America.

You can also pick a theme and work off of that. Do a set of works based on circles, or triangles - simple things - maybe pieces that can be combined - then expand your repertoire.

All of which is to say that your first effort out of the gate can, and probably will, be simple and ordinary. Start branching out when  YOU FEEL  ready.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28889 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 10:18:20 »
headscratch... that sounds like a cult, hahahahha...

but if the main tenet is typing.. hrrrrrm..... 

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28890 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 12:01:43 »

that sounds like a cult

Are you really so shallow that you can never look beneath the uppermost veneer of anything? And then, worse, toss off some inane comment to prove it?

It was a school, no more and no less.

The existence of cults is frightening, and we should all be focused on recognizing them. What they can and do do to individuals and society is appalling.

Don't trivialize them by using the word carelessly.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28891 on: Sat, 28 August 2021, 03:40:21 »
Copy existing work that you appreciate.
The main problem with jewelery (ignoring the expense of getting something to melt metal and the dangers of doing so) is that it's destructive - you carve something and mould it in plaster then melt out the wax so that's destroyed, then you fill the void with metal and smash the plaster to reveal the finished piece.  If all goes well you have an exact replica (with dodgy extra bits to allow air out, which need to be removed without damaging the piece) but if any step didn't work perfectly you have an ugly mess.  Moulding and casting something basic is going to be easier than something detailed so you need to make something good that you know wont come to anything for the first few tries.

Maybe a semi-autobiographical book would be easier :-\
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28892 on: Sat, 28 August 2021, 08:16:24 »
If you don't have a melting pot that could be a serious road block.

My favorite professor in design school told us that "design is making a virtue out of a necessity"

So, to begin with, cast a miniature Stonehenge with moveable stones that can be rearranged.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28893 on: Sat, 28 August 2021, 09:30:08 »
Yup, no way of melting metal and no pressure pot to de-bubble the plaster.  Original plan was to carve something and send it to someone else to cast but soon became aware how fragile wax is...  As I write this I realise I'm just making excuses and none of this is impossible to overcome, I could probably have everything needed here tomorrow if I asked Amazon nicely.

I'm bothered by how much I've changed in the past 17 days - it's indescribably scary!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #28894 on: Sat, 28 August 2021, 09:41:07 »
Cello ?

You can apply the same over-negative attitude to any suggestion, and I do.  Archery or throwing knives look fun but they are useless skills and as a newbie I'm going to damage stuff, not to mention there are laws to consider (pretty sure you can't just wander to a local park with a bow and start shooting it!)  The only thing which kinda works is learning to weld to make crazy bicycles and I could potentially sell them to recoup some of the costs, but the money involved is significant and it's a noisy outdoor activity so not ideal for after work when you have neighbours.  And instead of making bad noise as a newbie you're literally burning money with nothing to show for it except randomly attached bits of scrap metal.
Have you search for archery ranges or axe throwing in your area?  Both exist near me and are not far drives.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28895 on: Sat, 28 August 2021, 10:33:08 »
Have you search for archery ranges or axe throwing in your area?  Both exist near me and are not far drives.
There are a couple of places that advertise sessions with an instructor which you have to pre-book or there are clubs that have regular practice sessions, I'd prefer something similar to a golf driving range or snooker hall where you just turn up and get a set amount of time.  Another option would be finding someone with enough land to set up my own range but unlike the equipment for casting that is beyond my influence.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #28896 on: Sat, 28 August 2021, 18:08:01 »
There are a couple of places that advertise sessions with an instructor which you have to pre-book or there are clubs that have regular practice sessions, I'd prefer something similar to a golf driving range or snooker hall where you just turn up and get a set amount of time.  Another option would be finding someone with enough land to set up my own range but unlike the equipment for casting that is beyond my influence.
i had fun learning archery, it is not really that hard to get the basis of safety and posture, then it is training but you should not break much
and i know that a huge sport chain in France do sell suction cup arrows for real bow (Decathlon) i would not be surprised if others do too, and you'd be sure to not kill anyone or break anything, well less likely to break at least

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28898 on: Sun, 29 August 2021, 08:27:33 »
But it looks so yummy.