Author Topic: Why is photography so expensive?  (Read 2811 times)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
Why is photography so expensive?
« on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 16:45:18 »
Seriously... I have a D7200. Just bought a Sigma Art 1.8 18-35 for 800 euro's. I'm look towards the new Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 di vc usd g2 for 1600. And I want to sell my D7200 in favor of a D500, which costs 2000 dollars.

And this is all semi-pro / subtop brands. Why is photography so expensive? Is it branding?

I mean.. you can't possibly argue that it is still difficult to make these lenses or technology... DSLRs of good quality (and lenses) have been around for ages now.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Why is photography so expensive?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 17:57:19 »
The machining behind it is very expensive.

And the product is low volume..

Offline seva1385

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 21:34:48 »
"DSLRs of good quality" is a moving target. I have been an avid amateur photographer decades ago and recently decided to revisit my old hobby, only to learn it's a different landscape now. Autofocusing and image stabilization were barely heard of back then. Matrix resolution is now so high it outperforms most but the best lenses. There are advancements in suppressing color noise. Good optics was always expensive, there isn't a way to cut that cost by much, but now you also need a smooth and fast miniature motor in your lens.

I went with slightly outdated technology, purchased a used 7D for $300 and a few less expensive used lenses, one of them Canon 75-300 f/4 for $100.
Kinesis Advantage2

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 04:12:07 »
"DSLRs of good quality" is a moving target. I have been an avid amateur photographer decades ago and recently decided to revisit my old hobby, only to learn it's a different landscape now. Autofocusing and image stabilization were barely heard of back then. Matrix resolution is now so high it outperforms most but the best lenses. There are advancements in suppressing color noise. Good optics was always expensive, there isn't a way to cut that cost by much, but now you also need a smooth and fast miniature motor in your lens.

I went with slightly outdated technology, purchased a used 7D for $300 and a few less expensive used lenses, one of them Canon 75-300 f/4 for $100.

The problem is, for me autofocus and image stabilization are very important, because I also like to do sports photography. Unfortunately, you need fast glass and a great body for that. You cannot compromise when you need to make photos quickly.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 08:11:24 »

The problem is, for me autofocus and image stabilization are very important, because I also like to do sports photography. Unfortunately, you need fast glass and a great body for that. You cannot compromise when you need to make photos quickly.
I guess the more specifications you require the more costy it becomes, sports photography is very expenisve in general I believe.
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 10:08:26 »

I guess the more specifications you require the more costy it becomes, sports photography is very expenisve in general I believe.

How much did your setup for spying on good looking females from Long Distances Cost.. ??

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 10:13:48 »

How much did your setup for spying on good looking females from Long Distances Cost.. ??

Show Image

I always keep the *****es on a leash, so no need
More
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 10:20:56 »

Show Image

I always keep the *****es on a leash, so no need
More
Show Image

Damn,  Foiled !!

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 10:38:52 »

Show Image

I find a rifle scope is best for these situations.

Jk! This is a terrible approach which I say in dark jest, I do not condone using a gun or otherwise to spy on ladies.

Without knowing anything about photography, I'd say it's a combination of low volume, bleeding edge, complex mechanical/electrical/optical elements in small and sexy form factors. Also the market etc., people apparently pay these prices to support these premiums.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 22:13:16 »
It's specs race in a low volume market.
And now they are trying to outrun cell phones at the low end while trying to steer clear of the professional and video market which is dropping in price. 
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 02:52:14 »

Show Image

2000 for the body + 1600 for the 70-200 lens (effectively 105-300 on a crop sensor).

So 3600... But I also have a 18-35 lens which costs 800. And then a 300 tripod. THIS HOBBY NEVER ENDS

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 02:54:08 »
And now they are trying to outrun cell phones at the low end while trying to steer clear of the professional and video market which is dropping in price.

Phone manufacturers (particularly Apple) are trying to turn DSLRs (photography in general) into a commodity, similar to what Amazon did with the phenomenon "book".

I'm really afraid that in the future people do not understand what a "photographer" does, and the gear and the art will disappear coz "check my 50000 megapixel Iphone Y and check the bokeh-algorithm). Ugh...

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 03:39:37 »

Phone manufacturers (particularly Apple) are trying to turn DSLRs (photography in general) into a commodity, similar to what Amazon did with the phenomenon "book".

I'm really afraid that in the future people do not understand what a "photographer" does, and the gear and the art will disappear coz "check my 50000 megapixel Iphone Y and check the bokeh-algorithm). Ugh...

I wouldn't worry too much about the photographers, there is a lot more to taking a good picture than the camera or pixels. A good photographer with the right stuff can get good pictures with a garbage cell phone while an amateur could take all the equipment in the world and turn out crap. There is a skill and an art to it that technology simply cannot replace, at least not any time soon and if it does, humans will just declare that standard dead and invent some new standard the machine can't do.

Look at man made diamonds, better than mined ones, so DeBeers set out to make them less cool. The same would happen with photography except that it would be spontaneous rather than a marketing campaign.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline mustcode

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 03:51:37 »
The amount of work that goes into making a high quality lens is fairly high. Many of the manufacturing process are done by hands of high experienced professionals. Equipment for films making is even more ridiculous.

Here's an article with a video showing some of the lens making process:
https://www.wired.com/2011/07/video-inside-the-leica-lens-factory/

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 20:29:58 »

I wouldn't worry too much about the photographers, there is a lot more to taking a good picture than the camera or pixels. A good photographer with the right stuff can get good pictures with a garbage cell phone while an amateur could take all the equipment in the world and turn out crap. There is a skill and an art to it that technology simply cannot replace, at least not any time soon and if it does, humans will just declare that standard dead and invent some new standard the machine can't do.

Look at man made diamonds, better than mined ones, so DeBeers set out to make them less cool. The same would happen with photography except that it would be spontaneous rather than a marketing campaign.

A zillion selfies and cat pics will never come close to the epic epicness of space photography and other science related photo work

192751-0

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 21:13:32 »
^ a buddy of mine is really into telescopes and astro photography.. its probably a $10k starting point to get something kinda cool:eek:

he hangs out on a site called 'cloudynights' which is where all the telescope nerds trade their wares.
-Dana