Author Topic: How do I get better  (Read 2209 times)

Offline knightjp

How do I get better
« on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 06:43:57 »
Been trying to get to terms with touch-typing for a while. After 3 years of not getting anywhere with QWERTY, I switched to Dvorak.
Having tried it before, I knew that it would make more sense. In about a month, I had the same progress that took me 3 years to get on QWERTY. But it does not seem to be getting better.

I'm trying to figure out what is the matter? It can't be the fact that I do not know the layout. You asked me to put the marking of Dvorak on a normal keyboard, I can. I know where each letter is.
I know it sounds crazy but it really seems like my fingers and my mind aren't even connected at times. I see 'A', I'm thinking 'A', I know that 'A' is on the left hand. So why does my right hand type 'R'?

Offline MGMorden

Re: How do I get better
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 09:30:51 »
All I can say is practice.  I won't comment much on DVORAK - I gave it a shot maybe 10 years ago or so and got up to about 40 WPM or so without having to look but I can do ~115 WPM or so on QWERTY and you'll never completely get away from QWERTY keyboards so I gave up on DVORAK.

Part of the issue there though is that to a large degree I never got past typing letters on DVORAK.  Mentally typing one letter at a time works but eventually you'll tend to push past that and you'll tend to just have words memorized as a finger pattern.  Particularly a small word like "the" or something it's not "t", then "h", then "e", but rather just something I want to type and all three fingers move at the same time and just type the word. 

Like I said - just practice it.  Set a goal and keep going until you reach that goal, then set another.  I took typing as a class in school.  We had to make 30 WPM to pass and that first year I barely passed.  Second year I moved up to 45 WPM.  Third year of typing I was up to 70 WPM.  Fourth year I was breaking 100 WPM.  Granted, I've been typing for over 20 years now and still haven't really progressed farther than about 115 WPM, but I'm at the point now where I'm not really trying to get faster anymore.
Boards: Unicomp Spacesaver (Buckling Spring) - IBM Model M (Buckling Spring) - Scorpius iOne M10 (Cherry MX Blue) - Logitech K840 (Romer-G) - E-3lue Cobra (replaced with NovelKeys Box Jades) - Smith Corona 6311 (Acer switches) - Matias Tactile Pro PC (Matias Click Switches) - Apple Desktop Bus Keyboard (Alps SKCM Orange)

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 09:51:40 »
Been trying to get to terms with touch-typing for a while. After 3 years of not getting anywhere with QWERTY, I switched to Dvorak.
Having tried it before, I knew that it would make more sense. In about a month, I had the same progress that took me 3 years to get on QWERTY. But it does not seem to be getting better.

I'm trying to figure out what is the matter? It can't be the fact that I do not know the layout. You asked me to put the marking of Dvorak on a normal keyboard, I can. I know where each letter is.
I know it sounds crazy but it really seems like my fingers and my mind aren't even connected at times. I see 'A', I'm thinking 'A', I know that 'A' is on the left hand. So why does my right hand type 'R'?
Touch typing in general takes a lot of practice since you basically go from not knowing the layout to use muscle memory only. It'll prob be a couple of months where you have to look down on your keys just to remember where everything is, but progress is inevitable as long as you do it right!
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline knightjp

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 09:51:47 »
Thank you for the advice and the reply. I will keep up the practice.

But I still welcome any other advice or tips that anyone has.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 10:03:51 »
Number one thing for me in learning to touch type was NEVER, EVER look down at the keyboard while typing. You are working to make the motions of your fingers and hands happen at a completely unconscious level. You should be able read and transcribe paragraphs of text from a sheet of paper without looking at the keyboard once. You should be able to feel when you make a mistake without looking at the screen.

It takes a whole lot of practice (think a solid hour a day for a year), but when it's as perfected as it can be, it really feels like magic. I often feel like the keyboard is an extension of myself when I'm up to my full speed of 100wpm and in the typing zone.

Offline knightjp

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 10:28:33 »
Number one thing for me in learning to touch type was NEVER, EVER look down at the keyboard while typing. You are working to make the motions of your fingers and hands happen at a completely unconscious level. You should be able read and transcribe paragraphs of text from a sheet of paper without looking at the keyboard once. You should be able to feel when you make a mistake without looking at the screen.

I have neer tried this before. I used to see this old comedy show where the secretary was always typing without even looking typewriter; while reading from a text book or notepad. In later seasons she used to do with the computer and not even look the screen. Funny thing is that when I was a kid, that was the thing that I wanted to achieve. Till now I never thought about trying it out as a method practice.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 11:08:31 »
Back in the day when I took a typing class (not sure if anyone does this anymore...) they actually had covers that went over your keyboard with enough room to get your hands in there but they would completely obscure your view of the keyboard.  So looking at it wasn't even an option.

Not that looking at the screen is fine.  In fact it's necessary if you want to improve, because if you're not looking at the results of your typing then you're not getting any feedback.

Offline Rinsaku

• lorem ipsum
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 11:13:48 »
When i made the switch to Colemak i used a program called typefaster and i recommend it to everyone that is trying to learn to touch type or improving on speed. Its a pretty old program nothing flashy, you can get it at typefastertypingtutor.com. Good luck!
Current Boards : Apple m0116 (Salmon Alps), B.Face (Mx Clears), Filco Tkl (Mx Blues), HHKB Pro JP (Topre), Jd45 (78g Zealios), KBParadise v60 (Gateron Yellows), KBParadise v60 (Matias Quiet Click), Kbt Pure (Kailh Bronze), Leopold FC660M (Mx Browns), Minidox (Mod-H), Pok3r (62g Zealios)

Offline knightjp

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 11:43:48 »
Well this is my latest practice...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 12:12:44 »
It takes a long time to get faster.

Some people say 30 minutes a day.. 

But in reality, for us-computer-n3rdz,  it's ~14 hours a day on the pc,  it might not all be keyboard time, but certainly significantly more than 30 minutes.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 22:59:59 »
You'll know you're crossing the threshold to true touch typing when you aren't thinking about individual letters any more as you type them. It feels like your fingers are moving on their own and pouring out your thoughts into the keyboard. It really is cool.

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 23:26:27 »
You'll know you're crossing the threshold to true touch typing when you aren't thinking about individual letters any more as you type them. It feels like your fingers are moving on their own and pouring out your thoughts into the keyboard. It really is cool.

It sure is cool. The individual words you type become part of your muscle memory, and when you cross that threshold, your typing speed starts to increase again after plateauing at the mid 30's.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 00:01:20 »
My typing classes had a reference picture of the keyboard layout on top of each CRT monitor. That extra layer of abstraction helped me back then. Using tape is kinda messy, but I'm sure there are other less messy ways to place a layout reference picture at monitor level. 

Offline Kavik

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 00:09:14 »
I learnt to type with Mario Teaches Typing 20-ish years ago, which basically just got me to stop hunting and pecking. After that, I never really focused on speed. I just used a computer, making sure my fingers were on the home row. I mainly wrote e-mails and used AOL instant messenger, so I was typing what I wanted to say and not what a program was telling me to type (like Mario or KeyHero). I think just typing in stream of consciousness or in a conversation helped me because I had to type words I actually say a lot over and over again. My average is around 90 WPM with a high score of 114 WPM, so not impressive, but not bad either.

As others have said, I type in whole words as familiar finger patterns now. Words I've never seen before or that are big or complex still slow me down quite a bit because I have to think about the letter positions.

So my suggestions are:
1a. Type what YOU want to say often, like a conversation or your own story (it can be something pointless or dumb or vulgar) instead of transcribing something from a book or quotes on a webpage.
1b. Try typing what you want to say without looking at the screen or keyboard and then see how accurate you were.
2. Make sure you're using all your fingers (pinkies included). If your hands stay in the same place, you can reliably hit the keys with muscle memory. If you move your hands around, you're trying to hit a moving target. Use the homing bumps on the keys to keep your place.
3. Remove your keycaps and put them back without looking at a reference if you have trouble remembering the key positions.
4. Icarus Proudbottom is also pretty fun. Try it out. http://www.holywowstudios.com/teachestyping/

FWIW, I also have the problem of knowing which key I need to press, knowing where it is, and still pressing the wrong one. I have no idea why I do it, but I've noticed it a lot when I try for accuracy (especially the Instant Death mode on KeyHero).
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline mustcode

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 04:54:39 »
Touch typing is mostly muscle memory. I mainly just focus on the words that I want to type and the hands is almost automatic. I only do 70-80wpm most of the time, so pretty average compared to many people here... I didn't always has the correct form, but I decided to improve when I got into ergonomic boards. It did take A LOT of practice for me to get from 50-60 (improper form) to 70-80 (correct form). My advice is go slow, focus on accuracy before speed, aim for 100% accuracy on typeracer and your speed will slowly increase naturally as you practice more and more. Goodluck!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 00:25:39 »
Been trying to get to terms with touch-typing for a while. After 3 years of not getting anywhere with QWERTY, I switched to Dvorak... Having tried it before, I knew that it would make more sense. In about a month, I had the same progress that took me 3 years to get on QWERTY. But it does not seem to be getting better.

Dude—First of all, good for you for having the desire to improve. Without that, you can't get anywhere.

I don't know you—nor, I think, does anyone else here—so I can't say for sure, but it sounds to me like you may just be trying a bit too hard. It can happen to anyone. Ironically, it often happens just because you want to be better at something, and you push yourself too much, in the wrong way.

Like walking, riding a bike or playing music, typing is a largely unconscious skill. Once you learn where all the characters are, and your unconscious mind has the info it needs, your job is to stop thinking about it and let it happen. For example, as I type this, the last thing I'm thinking about is where my fingers are... I'm just thinking about what I want to say.

When it comes to a spontaneous skill like this, stress and criticism are not your friend. Relaxation and trust are.

The ironic thing is, you aren't actually "doing" the typing at all; your memory and muscles are. When you first learned to ride a bike, you had to pay attention to where your feet were, how well you were balanced on the bike, and a bunch of other individual things. But eventually you learned to just hop on the bike, go where you wanted to, and let your unconscious mind handle all the mechanical details.

Typing's just like that. As long as you stay focused on which keys you're pressing, and criticize yourself for missing one now and then, you can't get to that point, because you're keeping your typing stuck at the conscious level. It's like sending the chairman of the board down to work on the assembly line.

How can you possibly "control" what you type when you don't even know how many muscles are in your arms or hands? (Well, maybe you've studied anatomy, but I haven't.) It's vanity to think "you" are doing it all. Once you have the intention to do it, and you take the time to program it into your mind (which you've done), the more you can stay out of your own way, the better you'll do.

Yes, this seems like the opposite of what we're taught in our achievement-oriented, do-everything society. But let's face it: There isn't a single star athlete, artist or businessperson who really knows why or how they got so much better at something than most people. They just had the desire, and did the learning work, stayed positive and optimistic, and did their best. They trusted themselves. You can do that too. (Of course, some of us turn out to be better at some things than others—but for the most part, it's just luck.)

Finally, a great way to improve at anything is to make it fun. There are many free online typing games where you can start at an easy level, gradually challenge yourself more and more, and have fun while you're doing it. And so what if you miss some words, or run out of time? Do you beat yourself up for losing other kinds of video games? Of course not—what would the point be? You just do the best you can, and enjoy yourself. That's the idea with these, too.

Good luck!
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg