Author Topic: Why is Velotype PRO keyboard so expensive?  (Read 2092 times)

Offline htprww

Why is Velotype PRO keyboard so expensive?
« on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 15:10:11 »
I am just curious about this keyboard:
http://www.velotype.com/en/?Products...:Velotype_PRO_keyboard

The website looks dated, and the keyboard looks like a toy. But it is € 1500 euro  :eek:

It would definitely cost much less than that if we make a custom keyboard with that layout and a better build.

Offline Tactile

Re: Why is Velotype PRO keyboard so expensive?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 16:22:52 »
Well, most of the cost isn't for the hardware but instead for the very sophisticated controller and electronics inside.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 16:52:05 »
Hmm. The training program Velotype academy and the text editor VeloNote are also included.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 04:13:39 »
Do they even mention what kind of switches it has? I don't see anything about that on the product page. But I do see:

Quote from: Velotype
It is also possible to lease the keyboard:
The price to lease is  € 122 (incl. VAT) per month, with a minimal period of 3 months.
When deciding to buy afterwards, € 90,- (incl. VAT) per paid month will be deducted from the total price.

An MK that's so pricey you can lease it instead, like a Lexus or something. Well la-de-da, eh?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline altemark

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 06:51:15 »
It's a very light sort of chiclet switch. Few of the STTIs and live subtitlers I've met prefer them to the old veyboard or velotype, but the adoption of the velotype pro amongst those using this sort of chording keyboard is pretty overwhelming in Sweden - at least outside of the speech-to-text interpreter circles

Offline micmil

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 14:16:33 »
Do they even mention what kind of switches it has? I don't see anything about that on the product page. But I do see:

Quote from: Velotype
It is also possible to lease the keyboard:
The price to lease is  € 122 (incl. VAT) per month, with a minimal period of 3 months.
When deciding to buy afterwards, € 90,- (incl. VAT) per paid month will be deducted from the total price.

An MK that's so pricey you can lease it instead, like a Lexus or something. Well la-de-da, eh?

It's basically for stenographers and people that translate for the hearing impaired, with the accompanying software necessary to translate chorded letters into words. It's not cheap, and it's not a wide-use product. Having a lease option is actually quite nice as otherwise people may not be able to even afford to get into that line of work on their own.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 15:59:43 »
You know how the government pays $1500 for a hammer and $25 a nail.

That's why.

It's basically the political families robbing the tax-payers,   They get a kick back from these -contractors-, either campaign donation, or under the table.

It's basically white collar crime in broad daylight. DiaperDon boarder wall, etc.

Offline micmil

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 17:01:21 »
You know how the government pays $1500 for a hammer and $25 a nail.

That's why.

It's basically the political families robbing the tax-payers,   They get a kick back from these -contractors-, either campaign donation, or under the table.

It's basically white collar crime in broad daylight. DiaperDon boarder wall, etc.

Is this one of those bots that is trying to be human? I see it everywhere and it never says anything sensible or related to the topic at hand.  :p

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 18:45:59 »

Is this one of those bots that is trying to be human? I see it everywhere and it never says anything sensible or related to the topic at hand.  :p

Hughmahnns suk.  Finally I've ascended.

Offline altemark

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 03:10:42 »
Some pics from a velotype style keyboard manual with exercises
https://imgur.com/gallery/Cx1btg8