Author Topic: [Video] Corsairs new KATAR mouse unboxing and initial thoughts  (Read 7780 times)

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
Full review to follow in a week or so of usage. With an MSRP of $39.99 and currently on sale for $29.99 i'll be quite curious to see how this relatively budget priced mouse performs.

Video explains it all....after a G602,Razer Deathadder Chroma,Sensei Raw orange,Red dragon (numerous) and many more...I still have not found my ideal mouse...the search continues but the feature set/weight/size of this new Corsair caught my attention.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 April 2016, 11:55:59 by LiquidEvilGaming »
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline Bucake

Re: [Video] Corsairs new KATAR mouse unboxing and initial thoughts
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 13:15:05 »
weight and cable seem nice. i also like no side buttons!
but i'm worried about the sides, they look very uncomfortable. and the sensor is not the greatest, but that's not an issue for everyone.

edit:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1577736/corsair-katar-ambidextrous-mouse/110#post_24686643
http://www.overclock.net/t/1577736/corsair-katar-ambidextrous-mouse/120#post_24690286

it looks like the mouse is OK. if the shape is nice for you it should be fine for gaming.
if you review it, could you share your thoughts on the coating and the sides? :-)
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Marizen

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 13:15:59 »
I just bought one a couple days ago. The shape felt really weird because it's not very long, but it's relatively wide and tall; almost like sliding around a small stone lol. I'd imagine it would be great for a fingertip gripper or very aggressive claw gripper.

Oh well, another to add to my collection. I'll stick to my Diamondback :P for my lazy claw grip. It's not my ideal mouse, but it's about as close as I've found (just wish they woulda went with an optical sensor).

but i'm worried about the sides, they look very uncomfortable. and the sensor is not the greatest, but that's not an issue for everyone.

edit:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1577736/corsair-katar-ambidextrous-mouse/110#post_24686643
http://www.overclock.net/t/1577736/corsair-katar-ambidextrous-mouse/120#post_24690286

it looks like the mouse is OK. if the shape is nice for you it should be fine for gaming.
if you review it, could you share your thoughts on the coating and the sides? :-)

The coating feels awesome in my opinion. The texture is not too aggressive (which is good) but the coating itself is very grippy.

I don't like how the sides flair out at the top. It is very uncomfortable the way I like to hold the mouse.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 April 2016, 13:21:11 by Marizen »

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 13:32:46 »

edit:

Will do, usually i review stuff 1-2 weeks after i unbox it to allow ample usage time to get a full opinion.  While i take technical specs into account i also try to lean more on personal experience with the device be it positive or negative.  EX Sensor X may be superior to sensor Y but if i can't notice it in a day of typing gaming/work usage/surfing then as a consumer i don't care what's superior on paper personally.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 13:50:26 »
But but.. this mouse isn't on that List of perfect sensors..

Or rather, is that list out of date.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 14:13:57 »
i know, i know.. :-)
the sensor is not the greatest, but that's not an issue for everyone.

i might give it a try if i can find it locally. will probably wait on the review just in case.
thanks for the replies!
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 14:18:20 »

The funny thing about lists like that and why i tend to ignore them for the most part is specs on paper versus real world performance and if the typical user notices are very different things.  In a blind test of which mouse they were using i doubt most of these people could tell the difference one sensor to the next.  Could a professional gamer at the highest levels of play? Perhaps.  A normal typical user? I doubt it.

Current Daily Driver/s

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 15:41:25 »

The funny thing about lists like that and why i tend to ignore them for the most part is specs on paper versus real world performance and if the typical user notices are very different things.  In a blind test of which mouse they were using i doubt most of these people could tell the difference one sensor to the next.  Could a professional gamer at the highest levels of play? Perhaps.  A normal typical user? I doubt it.

But if we do not make purchases based on Objective scientific theories,  then the purchase would be for mere possession itself, which would make the ownership aimless..

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 15:53:19 »

But if we do not make purchases based on Objective scientific theories,  then the purchase would be for mere possession itself, which would make the ownership aimless..

Show Image

If specifications of anything are only noticeable on paper and not to the consumer in question than does it really make a difference? 

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it does it really make a sound?

etc etc

Specs on paper mean nothing to me personally, how it actually performs does.

If on paper Sensor A is 10% more accurate but the mouse that uses it is uncomfortable and large

But Sensor B isn't quite as good but the perfect shaped/weighted mouse uses it and i can't tell a difference.

Personally i'm going to pick sensor B.

Honestly though iv'e compared the Razer Deathadder Chroma to even Red Dragon mice iv'e reviewed and in actual usage i can't tell a huge difference between the sensors personally.  YMMV but i'd doubt the average user could either.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline woll3

• ESL Profile
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 20:25:37 »
TBH, even if i wouldnt be able to feel any difference(which i cant understand from my POV), i would want the best for my money, or demand better. Also it isnt just about the sensor when it comes to performance.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 18:32:09 »
Early review thoughts (Still a work in progress and video coming next week)

Pros:
1. Straight up the most comfortable fingertrip grip mouse i have ever used, it's lightweight it has VERY comfortable easy to grip rubber sides the top plastic is matte and doesn't attract finger prints..it feels wonderful from an ergonomic sense.
2. DPI switch button on the top in an easy to hit spot if you need to swap speeds on the fly like i do all the time.
3. Rubber slick cord does not have mouse drag on any surface i have used it on.
4. Sensor at lower DPI settings <2000 feels great and i have no complaints compared to my drawer full of other mice.

Cons:
1. VERY stiff cord, i mean like feels like it's a clothes hanger stiff....i tried even using a hair dryer on the thing to straighten it out but even with a mouse bungee you can feel the bends in the cord that you can't straighten out.  It's VERY annoying and a possible deal breaker stiffest cord i have ever encountered..
2. There is a very oh so slight delay between when you click the mouse button and it reacts...this was shown in other more professional reviews in testing but iv'e actually noticed it in real world usage.  It's not game breakingly bad but if i noticed it someone more picky than i may be driven nuts by it. Reports put it at 16MS button lag
3. Scroll wheel is very stiff and takes way more effort to scroll with than most other mice.
4. Over >3000 the sensor feels inaccurate and jittery and i can't recommend it at all if you use DPI settings above 3000. YMMV this is not a scientific test just my own experiences

Going to spend more time gaming with it but as of this moment the TLDR would be...

Very comfortable for Fingertip grip users but too many CONS to recommend even at the current reduced price.

Will see if i feel the same after extended usage, keep swapping it out for my Razer DeathAdder Chroma,G602,Sensei Raw to compare it to other sensors and cords etc.
Current Daily Driver/s