Author Topic: is ungrounded pc safe for mechanical keyboard?  (Read 1214 times)

Offline Marilyn lin

is ungrounded pc safe for mechanical keyboard?
« on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 01:29:39 »
hi im new in this hobby just moved from a bluetooth office keyboard to a wired mechanical keyboard, i have an old computer i never plug anything to the usb port before except the bluetooth dongle before.
my PC and the electricity in my home has no grounding/ ungrounded i can feel it little shock electric on my PC case i just wondering is it safe for low voltage device like a mechanical kb? i never use any wired peripheral before even my headset and my mouse are wireless so i kind a bit worried about it

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: is ungrounded pc safe for mechanical keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 02:26:38 »
That's not even safe for you or the computer much less the keyboard.

I would make sure you use a plastic body keyboard, not an aluminum model, but instead of a keyboard I'd consider spending that money on an electrician.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Online Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 02:49:53 »
I don't have grounded electrical sockets in most rooms of my house either. Lots of not-that-much older homes around here don't, and it has been discussed a lot on domestic computer forums.
There is no immediate danger but there is less protection against shorts, no. Eerie sensation when touching my PC's case though, which is aluminium.

The shielding around USB connectors do touch the PC's case, which are connected to the shielding around USB cables, which would transfer the eerie sensation to metal keyboard cases. So yes, do use keyboards with plastic cases!
🍉

Offline yui

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 03:13:26 »
the keyboard will see no difference, for it it will see 0v (your floating ground) and 0 + 5V (floating + 5V) i have an old laptop powersupply with a failed separation and although the metal chassis of the laptop is at mains voltage (with really low current, and i have protection) the laptop itself sees not difference as its 19V is just riding that 220V sine. it is my 2nd powersupply with that PC that has that fault... both proper HP, the non HP one actually blew up, i'd rather have a tiny shock than a fire :)
(then again i have protection and i kinda know what i am doing, after the 1st shock i unplug the laptop before using it :))
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 06:03:43 »
I don't have grounded electrical sockets in most rooms of my house either. Lots of not-that-much older homes around here don't, and it has been discussed a lot on domestic computer forums.
I realize it's common, there's also a reason we moved away from it.

The shielding around USB connectors do touch the PC's case, which are connected to the shielding around USB cables, which would transfer the eerie sensation to metal keyboard cases. So yes, do use keyboards with plastic cases!
Not all metal keyboards are grounded this way, most aftermarket cases are not and many boards are not (NK64 is not).

Any weird feeling that isn't static charge from you is a leak and that's not good.
You see that on aquariums a surprising amount (pumps and heaters usually) and it can kill you especially on marine aquariums.  It's even worse if you use 220v in your country.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 06:10:38 »
It's safe for the Keyboard,   it's just NOT SAFE FOR YOU.  Without Earth Ground, in event of a serious short, lightning, local transformer blowing, etc, and you're touching any of the metal,  YOU DIE.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 06:28:07 »
Also,  Grounding is really cheap to install,   All it is, is a metal ROD, inserted into the ground and you put in some salt in the soil so that it conducts better.

The other option is have the ground ducted via a Thick conductor to the Metal water pipe MAINS that come into the house. Many houses are earth ground this way.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 08:37:12 »

Many houses are earth ground this way.

Although by the 1980s various forms of plastic were becoming common even for the supply coming from the street to the house.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015