Author Topic: Boug some key(rons  (Read 1382 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Boug some key(rons
« on: Wed, 25 October 2023, 14:34:57 »
I know, I know, Tp4, you is a betrayer, so decepticon of you. That said, Tp4 of course still mains Erg0d0><.

Still, they is on sale, k2 and k6, will do full teardown and inspect quality.

Should arrive tomorrow.

Offline PlayBox

Re: Boug some key(rons
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 October 2023, 14:37:30 »
I know, I know, Tp4, you is a betrayer, so decepticon of you. That said, Tp4 of course still mains Erg0d0><.

Still, they is on sale, k2 and k6, will do full teardown and inspect quality.

Should arrive tomorrow.

Show Image

nice, i heard keychron aren't bad

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk

propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Online Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 October 2023, 18:06:10 »
Show Image

nice, i heard keychron aren't bad

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk

The keychron K series is especially good for the value IMO. The Q series not so much but still alright considering what you get.

Tp4 I know you only got them cause they were on sale but keychron does have ergo stuff if you are interested (granted it's not ergodox but still)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 October 2023, 21:21:51 »
Also ordered an ifixit screw driver set,  can't seem to find any credible alternative recommendations, other than wera or weha which are even more absurdly expensive.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 October 2023, 18:28:58 »
First impression, K2 model, gateron brown, and gateron blues, not bad.

Build quality of keychron, "so-so".  The aluminum slide panels don't exactly line up perfectly, you have to be strategic with tightening the screws so they're flush. They may have designed it this way to account for the tolerance on the main case which might warp.

Overall, not bad for the "sale" price. Would not pay full price.

Can't seem to get a bluetooth and wired working together on the same PC, it kicks the wireless one off. Weird.

The double shot keys on the K2 (non-backlit) feels pretty good, they're thin but they feel good.

Font is ok. They're not perfectly neat, as they chose a fairly wire-y font, which incurs some thickness inconsistency in some keys, especially the pgup pgdn, home, end, but reasonable. This is nit picky though, it's not obtrusively bad.

For $40 incl tax, easy to recommend, for full price, there are many other options.

The K6 backlit, sigh... , unfortunately the stock keycaps were a MAJOR disappointment, it feels like rubbing a chalk board, the coating is horrible, it's paint then laser-ed for the shine-through, plain awful. The board itself works fine.

303515-0
303513-1

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 27 October 2023, 06:29:36 »
Overnight experience:

The gat-brown bump is a bit more prominent than cherry brown. The board is not NKRO even on wired connection, even though that was in the ad material. They must've cheaped out on the controller.

Thank god for F-row, fairly committed that it's just too inconvenient to get ne-wurk done without f-rows. The space saving from 1 less row just isn't worth it.

Soldering looks fine, hand soldered switches, probably to account for the many skus.

They're not using expensive solder, it's the kind that leaves alot of residue. A few cold joint leftovers, easy to touch up, but only for us old guys. These would definitely lead to intermittence down the line.

With all of its faults, the question is, is it worth $40 after tax ?? 

.... to be continued ///strokes chin...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 27 October 2023, 11:18:54 »
Enjoying wireless, buhhhhhhh.................................................. Polling rate is a bit low.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 27 October 2023, 14:08:31 »
Also ordered an ifixit screw driver set,  can't seem to find any credible alternative recommendations, other than wera or weha which are even more absurdly expensive.

Ifixit sets are the best value for small drivers & such IME. Wera & Weha are good stuff, but as you said absurdly overpriced.