Author Topic: The OLED KILLER...  (Read 1539 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
The OLED KILLER...
« on: Tue, 09 November 2021, 08:09:00 »

Hisense, 75U9DG (affordable $3000) effectively has 2,000,000 local dimming zones oweing to its 2nd back lcd layer. (LMCL) 2x stacked lcds, 1 light modulating cell layer, 1 front layer.

Outside of Botique displays,   This is arguably the BEST Consumer TV on the market. Sooooo cheap too.

352 nits SDR full field (all white screen) peak brightness

933 nits SDR highlight, black level of just 0.007 nits

424 nits HDR full field (all white screen) peak brightness

1189 nits
HDR highlight, black level of just 0.006 nits

Effective contrast ratio of 198,206:1.,  in all practical applications you really only need 20,000:1

VS, OLED,  

~100-120nits abysmal Peak full field brightness, (beach scenes look like the tv is broken)

700-800nits Peak HDR highlights (desaturated due to wrgb (white pixel light pollution)),

Near black chrominance flashing/overshoot problem.

LCD has almost perfect near-black performance due to the inverted nature of how lcds occlude light. Operating voltage is inverse of pixel brightness.

Offline yui

Re: The OLED KILLER...
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 November 2021, 02:23:43 »
i am sorry but i do not think that a TV that cost more than a reasonable used car is cheap in any way...
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 November 2021, 07:35:10 »
Remember that TP4 considers $1500 to be a reasonable fee for a mid-price prostitute.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 November 2021, 07:44:19 »
i am sorry but i do not think that a TV that cost more than a reasonable used car is cheap in any way...
Have you seen the price of reasonable used cars lately?  Carvana is offering me $5k less than what I paid for my car brand new 5 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline yui

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 November 2021, 08:56:48 »
we may not have the same definition of reasonable, or maybe used car price in the US exploded far more than in Europe. to me reasonable is runs well, does not require any immediate maintenance and is fuel injected, my standards may be pretty low but here you find that for 1000 euros everyday, and even some times less.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 November 2021, 09:33:37 »

runs well, does not require any immediate maintenance and is fuel injected,

here you find that for 1000 euros

In the US it is double or triple that amount.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 November 2021, 02:53:36 »
Naah, for next 5 years OLED will still rule :P
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 November 2021, 08:16:52 »
Naah, for next 5 years OLED will still rule :P
Hisense still has some work to do on the image-processing side.

But the <raw tech>. I believe LMCL is squarely ahead of Oled going forward. Especially if someone buys the _import_ boutique models that don't abide by consumer power restrictions.

There's a good reason Sony discontinued Oled as HDR reference monitors.