Author Topic: AMD Zen.. .. NO LONGER Excited.. bad news!!  (Read 26070 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
AMD Zen.. .. NO LONGER Excited.. bad news!!
« on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 15:52:55 »
Sigh.......  Somewhat bad news guys..

only ~4.1ghz.. overclocked so far..

Tp4's worst fear realized..

And Apparently Tp4 predicted the performance gap EXACTLY.. I was right all along.. that -user- looncraz got my hopes up, all for nothing.. sigh......

Damn you looncraz.. hahahahaha

This is really bad....   even if it could concievably get to 4.5 the next cycle,  that's late... intel has so much time to respond..

Sigh......

fffffffffff..  now we gotta keep buying more bull**** intel motherboards

Ugh... want to cry.. just crawl under my bed and die.. jesus.. 

LATEST Rumors say,  AMD single core Performance AS FAST as 5xxx series (broadwell) Intel..

There will HAVE TO BE a price adjust, if Intel still wants to sell chips.

Title change to OFFICIALLY EXCITED in light of recent rumors.

So, from right here. notice the 4.8ghz 7700k benches 53% higher than the Zen @ 4ghz

So let's give zen an 800mhz boost.. to 4.8ghz..  1.2 * 2531 = 3037   

Intel benches 3893/ 3037 = 1.28

Which means,  Intel single core performance is still 28% faster than AMD..  This is consistent with the (rumors) and all the leaked benchmarks so far.. that the zen matches Sandybridge performance per core.

So, in VIDEO GAMES,   because the main simulation compositing thread will still be the bottleneck to the engine.. the SINGLE core performance will continue to define (gaming performance).

In the G4m3r scenario, 

The 4.8ghz Intel 7700k averages 500-600 fps in CSGO..   

That means on the ZEN 4.8ghz, we're going to get 390-468 fps..

This is assuming the Zen can Reach 4.8ghz in the first place.. which we don't know yet..

Sigh...     I think this would be a great CPU for Youtube gaming stars.. because this gives them the extra cores for streaming setups, while maintaining good enough baseline single core performance for the game..

However,  for anyone else, NOT streaming, Intel would still remain the better buy..

But we don't know what the final street price is going to be,   so it's still all up in the air.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
Re: AMD Zen.. Cautiously Excited..!!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 16:35:53 »
I spent about 850 putting together a i7 rig in November 2016.
January 2017 i sold it for 750... (kept my ssd and HD's)
That money is sitting in the bank waiting for RYZEN to come out.

Anyone else watch the tech demo of it pumping out constant 60fps+ at 4k?

Offline looncraz

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 16:39:34 »
The clock speeds listed in the original charts were base clocks for Intel CPUs - they were, therefore, wrong.

The updated graphic:

Further, it's not well known, but it is a fact, that 3dMark Physics score doesn't scale well beyond six cores which causes the comparative single-core score for the 8-core CPUs to fall (as also seen with Intel's 6900k...).

You should compare the 3.4Ghz Ryzen 8-core to the 3.7GHz Broadwell 8-Core.

The 3.4Ghz 8-core is, 100%, not using any turbo or XFR - it IS running at 3.4GHz (or very close) - you can tell because the 4Ghz Ryzen 8-core (manually overclocked, so 100% at 4Ghz) has exactly the additional performance anticipated from that difference in frequency.

There's no way around it: Ryzen has very similar IPC to Intel's Skylake architecture, but is simply clocked lower.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 February 2017, 16:42:00 by looncraz »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 16:40:59 »
I spent about 850 putting together a i7 rig in November 2016.
January 2017 i sold it for 750... (kept my ssd and HD's)
That money is sitting in the bank waiting for RYZEN to come out.

Anyone else watch the tech demo of it pumping out constant 60fps+ at 4k?

60+ fps isn't the problem right now..

to be competitive in csgo, you need at least 300+,,  which zen seems to be capable of..

But I suppose with nvidia's fast sync,  it's not a huge problem to have a little less than 300

But in the end,  will Zen be a good value.. if it doesn't have high ipc..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 07:56:11 »
The clock speeds listed in the original charts were base clocks for Intel CPUs - they were, therefore, wrong.

The updated graphic:

Show Image

Further, it's not well known, but it is a fact, that 3dMark Physics score doesn't scale well beyond six cores which causes the comparative single-core score for the 8-core CPUs to fall (as also seen with Intel's 6900k...).

You should compare the 3.4Ghz Ryzen 8-core to the 3.7GHz Broadwell 8-Core.

The 3.4Ghz 8-core is, 100%, not using any turbo or XFR - it IS running at 3.4GHz (or very close) - you can tell because the 4Ghz Ryzen 8-core (manually overclocked, so 100% at 4Ghz) has exactly the additional performance anticipated from that difference in frequency.

There's no way around it: Ryzen has very similar IPC to Intel's Skylake architecture, but is simply clocked lower.

That 3.7ghz interpretation of 6900k in the ADJUSTED Photo is incorrect..

Notice from the first photo that it was a 6900k multicore test through firestrike.  So the cpu would auto step down to 3.2ghz during a full bench as it is designed to by power gating.

The second photo is NOT a single core test ,  there is no single core firestrike test.   What they did to make the second set of numbers is merely DIVIDE the benchmark results from the first photo by the number of cores.

So the First 6900k  benched 18635 in the firestrike (full multi-core test),    THEN in the second photo (single core), it is listed as 2329.. 18635/8 = 2329..    --There is no way in hell that any single core benchmark can be ran separately and get this kind of perfect number matching.. they did not run a separate test, they just divide the numbers.

So this confirms that the second chart is not a separate set of single core test on part of the 6900k..   So that adjustment chart for 6900k to 3.7ghz should not be the interpretation, it is INDEED running at 3.2ghz.

If we use the IPC performance of 6900k @ 3.2ghz..   we have   ZEN 4ghz / broadwell 3.2ghz =   1.25x..

1.25x * 2329 (broadwell) = 2911.25  expected performance @ 4.0ghz for Broadwell..

Take the 2911.25(broadwell) /  2531(Zen)   we get   1.15x

SO.. Broadwell is still 15% faster than Zen IPC wise..

WHICH would mean this chart is Consistent with the IPC performance of Zen matching Sandybridge IPC, as Broadwell is ~ 10-20% faster than Sandybridge depending on benchmark used.

Zen is equivalent to Sandybridge, NOT broadwell..

Offline looncraz

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 12:02:31 »
That 3.7ghz interpretation of 6900k in the ADJUSTED Photo is incorrect..

Notice from the first photo that it was a 6900k multicore test through firestrike.  So the cpu would auto step down to 3.2ghz during a full bench as it is designed to by power gating.

Sorry, but you're wrong.  Everyone who tests the 6900k notes that it does NOT clock down to its base 3.2Ghz under almost any circumstances - and the original review source noted, in the review, that it was running at 3.7Ghz through the test... which is why it was changed.   It would have been running 3.6GHz if the motherboard didn't have a feature which added the extra 100Mhz to the all-core turbo.  WhyCry mentioned this in the comments (good luck finding it, though :-( ).

The second photo is NOT a single core test ,  there is no single core firestrike test.   What they did to make the second set of numbers is merely DIVIDE the benchmark results from the first photo by the number of cores.

I know it's not, which is why multi-core scaling has an impact on the ranking...  Eight-cores don't scale well in the benchmark, whereas six cores will scale just fine.

If we use the IPC performance of 6900k @ 3.2ghz..   we have   ZEN 4ghz / broadwell 3.2ghz =   1.25x..
1.25x * 2329 (broadwell) = 2911.25  expected performance @ 4.0ghz for Broadwell..
Take the 2911.25(broadwell) /  2531(Zen)   we get   1.15x
SO.. Broadwell is still 15% faster than Zen IPC wise..

And you're very wrong on the clocks... so that mess is useless.

WHICH would mean this chart is Consistent with the IPC performance of Zen matching Sandybridge IPC, as Broadwell is ~ 10-20% faster than Sandybridge depending on benchmark used.
Zen is equivalent to Sandybridge, NOT broadwell..

Also very much wrong.

Other reviewers used numbers which used fixed frequencies to make the comparison - Ryzen matched Broadwell.

Further, AMD's Handbrake and Blender demos would have been an impossible feat using a CPU with only Sandy Bridge IPC.  Entirely impossible.

The worst-case scenario, based on these leaks, is Haswell IPC.  Best case is Skylake IPC.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 14:26:28 »
Sandy Bridge isn't even bad when you have a modern GPU to back it up but I would certainly hope it doesn't end up being equivalent to Sandy Bridge.... for the reason that my machine is a Sandy Bridge :-X

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 19:40:08 »
Sandy Bridge isn't even bad when you have a modern GPU to back it up but I would certainly hope it doesn't end up being equivalent to Sandy Bridge.... for the reason that my machine is a Sandy Bridge :-X

it's bad relative to what you can buy with the same money, if zen is going to cost $300-500

Offline looncraz

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 19:51:17 »

it's bad relative to what you can buy with the same money, if zen is going to cost $300-500

Absolutely... and AMD would be releasing 125W+ TDP models from the start in an attempt to be competitive and not soil their name any more than it already is...

And they certainly wouldn't have been making such a big point of running their CPUs at 3.4Ghz, fixed, against the 6900k with turbo enabled...  They would have hidden the frequency, clocked it high, and then showed that they could match the 6900k for less money.  They would have hidden the actual power draw as well as it would have given away the secret.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 00:47:50 »
Sucks about that high TDP, no real reason to move off my Xeon then

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 06:55:37 »

Absolutely... and AMD would be releasing 125W+ TDP models from the start in an attempt to be competitive and not soil their name any more than it already is...

And they certainly wouldn't have been making such a big point of running their CPUs at 3.4Ghz, fixed, against the 6900k with turbo enabled...  They would have hidden the frequency, clocked it high, and then showed that they could match the 6900k for less money.  They would have hidden the actual power draw as well as it would have given away the secret.

What I'm worried about is that

AMD is still not competitive at this ipc

Because intel will just shift to the 6 core for mainstream @ the $300 price, and AMD will again have nothing to sell.

Those scores for multicore does nothing for most people, and the new generation of g4m3r kids understand that..

The 8350 had good multicore numbers  ,and it sat unsold

Offline looncraz

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 11:14:36 »

Because intel will just shift to the 6 core for mainstream @ the $300 price, and AMD will again have nothing to sell.

Those scores for multicore does nothing for most people, and the new generation of g4m3r kids understand that..

AMD is VERY competitive with Ryzen.  They do NOT have Sandy Bridge IPC.

New benchmarks, finally showing screenshots of CPU-z during the bench, illustrate this perfectly:

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-5-1600x-leaked-benchmarks-analyzed-faster-intels-fastest-6-core/

The focus on multi-threading, right now, is because Intel's fastest $1,000 8-core chips are slower than AMD's slowest 8-core Ryzen chips... which only run around $300...  It's a way for AMD to gain recognition and focus on where they are doing the best relative to Intel.  Saying: "Oh, look, we caught up!" isn't the best marketing strategy... though that's all they needed to do.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 15:01:45 »

AMD is VERY competitive with Ryzen.  They do NOT have Sandy Bridge IPC.

New benchmarks, finally showing screenshots of CPU-z during the bench, illustrate this perfectly:

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-5-1600x-leaked-benchmarks-analyzed-faster-intels-fastest-6-core/

The focus on multi-threading, right now, is because Intel's fastest $1,000 8-core chips are slower than AMD's slowest 8-core Ryzen chips... which only run around $300...  It's a way for AMD to gain recognition and focus on where they are doing the best relative to Intel.  Saying: "Oh, look, we caught up!" isn't the best marketing strategy... though that's all they needed to do.

Yup.. we've seen that..

buhhhhhhhhhh... Almost certainly fake..

If that WERE the case.. why doesn't AMD just come out and say , WE WON... PERIOD..

There's no reason to cat and mouse this..

Offline looncraz

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 15:22:48 »

Yup.. we've seen that..

buhhhhhhhhhh... Almost certainly fake..

If that WERE the case.. why doesn't AMD just come out and say , WE WON... PERIOD..

There's no reason to cat and mouse this..

AMD has actually demonstrated parity already (which is about all they've actually achieved, though there's some give and take).

They demonstrated the 3.4Ghz fixed-frequency 8-core Ryzen matching the 6900k (likely running at 3.5 to 3.6Ghz since its turbo was enabled)  in Blender, demonstrated it beating it in HandBrake, and demonstrated equal-to-slightly-better performance side-by-side in Battlefield 1.

AMD has made no secret that they are competitive on a core-to-core basis, they have shouted it from the roof-tops... Bulldozer had no such fanfare from AMD... they showed their 8-core CPU modestly beating the stock-clocked 2600k, but that's about it.

8/16 vs 8/16 with a clock deficiency... and still matching or winning against Broadwell is exactly what AMD showed us, and is exactly what the most trustworthy leaks have demonstrated.

What we don't know:

Memory performance (so far, the samples have had rather bad performance...)
Memory frequency support (apparently 3200 is fine, maybe even 3400, so that's looking up...)
Overclocking potential (we've only seen up to 4Ghz... nothing at all higher... not in the least... not even 4.1Ghz...)

AMD likes to keep things in the dark - that's just what they do.  It's risky to make specific claims yourself - you let reviewers disclose what they managed to do, much safer from a legal perspective.

And, of course, AMD is more likely to make headlines with a big reveal - and those headlines drive sales.  You don't want people thinking hard and saying... "Well, it's nice that AMD finally caught up to Intel, that might bring down the price of my next Intel CPU."

AMD wants headlines: "AMD Ryzen Beats Intel's Best!"

"AMD Takes the Performance Crown from Intel!"
"AMD Ryzen - World's Fastest Desktop CPU!"
"AMD Ryzen - Intel Destroyer!"

If they did a full reveal already, headlines would be:

"AMD Didn't lie - Ryzen doesn't disappoint."
"AMD Ryzen Delivers on Promises."
"AMD Ryzen - How Will Intel Respond?"

Not bad headlines, but the impact isn't there.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 15:33:15 »
IF those benchmarks are right.. this cpu is Faster than skylake by 10%...

47% faster than Sandybridge..

I want to believe...  Gonna go light a few candles.. 

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 15:35:09 »
IF those benchmarks are right.. this cpu is as fast as skylake...

Light one for me too, bb

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 15:36:08 »

Light one for me too, bb

just checked some of these cpuz numbers, (i've never used the cpuz bench before..

It is 10% faster than skylake..  THAN SKYLAKE..  if the 1888 is correct at 3.4ghz

Offline looncraz

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 16:33:27 »

Light one for me too, bb

just checked some of these cpuz numbers, (i've never used the cpuz bench before..

It is 10% faster than skylake..  THAN SKYLAKE..  if the 1888 is correct at 3.4ghz

The CPU-Z numbers are at 3.7Ghz (turbo was enabled), which is why the results are out of line with other Ryzen numbers if you assume it was done at its 3.3Ghz base clock.  In fact, XFR was supposedly enabled, so it may well be 3.8Ghz or so, but probably not much more than that (otherwise AMD would just declare a higher turbo clock and have a better looking part to sale...).

The 3dMark numbers are at the clocks stated in the updated graphic from Videocardz... who has Ryzen samples and are actually testing them, so they know the clocks for the tests, and the rest of the clocks are obtained from Tom's Hardware, who did the benches, so they're accurate as well.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 16:36:03 »
@ 3.7,,  IF  NOT-Fake,  then it matches skylake 1:1

Offline looncraz

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 16:52:08 »
@ 3.7,,  IF  NOT-Fake,  then it matches skylake 1:1

Indeed.

My blind estimate, last year, based on 40% IPC was 1300 in CPU-Z at 3Ghz... that would be ~1600 at 3.7Ghz.

Being 18% higher than that is very much in-line with CPCHardware's measurements which suggested a general 55% improvement over Excavator instead of the 40% claimed.

PS:

On a side note... these CAPTCHAs are terrible... and computers are better at reading them than humans, LOL!
.. try 3...

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 09:55:45 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 10:01:46 »
http://imgur.com/a/VnE7y

Hot damn.

Cinebench,   Zen is 10% faster than Haswell (ipc)....   OMG,  PLEASE overclock to 4.8ghz.. PLEEEEEEEEEEE

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 10:26:54 »
Hm.  This might be worth building most of a new pc for...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 10:31:18 »

Not really.. if you already have something POST sandybridge,  it's not worth upgrading ..

The multi core people might need it.. but that's m00t since, people who actually NEED powerful threaded performance use it for a living, so they'd be given the machines @ wurk.

All these years of milking the customers,  Intel might actually have something in their sleeves, tucked away ..

But IF Zen turns out to be as fast as these benchmarks..  Intel's response will be more interesting then buying Zen, since Intel still has the IPC lead..

If you're in the lead,  all you need is a price adjust.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 10:54:52 »

Not really.. if you already have something POST sandybridge,  it's not worth upgrading ..

The multi core people might need it.. but that's m00t since, people who actually NEED powerful threaded performance use it for a living, so they'd be given the machines @ wurk.

All these years of milking the customers,  Intel might actually have something in their sleeves, tucked away ..

But IF Zen turns out to be as fast as these benchmarks..  Intel's response will be more interesting then buying Zen, since Intel still has the IPC lead..

I have an i5-2500 (not k).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 10:58:51 »

I have an i5-2500 (not k).

u need to upgrade for m0re CSGO fps.. hahahaha

Offline swissdane23

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 20:44:02 »
I dont know much about computers. But my buddy who is a computer technician helped me pick out a PC with core i7 7700k and a Zotac GTX 1070 amp 2 weeks ago. Now the same guy is telling me I should sell my i7 7700k and upgrade to Ryzen. He started showing me these charts that i dont understand and ive been scouring the net on what i should do. -_- If monitor matters or anything, I got the benq zowie xl2411z.

Offline noobas4urus

• Mod Munky of another realm
    • The Mod Zoo
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 21:57:00 »
I dont know much about computers. But my buddy who is a computer technician helped me pick out a PC with core i7 7700k and a Zotac GTX 1070 amp 2 weeks ago. Now the same guy is telling me I should sell my i7 7700k and upgrade to Ryzen. He started showing me these charts that i dont understand and ive been scouring the net on what i should do. -_- If monitor matters or anything, I got the benq zowie xl2411z.

You're chasing ghosts at that point, especially if all you do is play Hearth Stone  :p  (kidding on that)

That's a solid set up and you're not going to be gaining by jumping to Ryzen.  Wait a few months and see how the market shakes out at least if you want switch over.
"You miss 100% of the raffles you don't enter."
-Wayne Gretzky

Offline swissdane23

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 22:10:07 »

You're chasing ghosts at that point, especially if all you do is play Hearth Stone  :p  (kidding on that)

That's a solid set up and you're not going to be gaining by jumping to Ryzen.  Wait a few months and see how the market shakes out at least if you want switch over.

Oh god. I seriously play hearthstone as my main game(ive never gotten under rank 9 despite spending a ton load of money because i suck) since back in 2013 when i got a beta key. Other than that I play overwatch(my most graphic intense game). With my old laptop(2006 toshiba) medium settings was killing me in overwatch. But i swear to GOD the experience has been better on hearthstone so far(and overwatch). Thanks for the advice. I thought with the release of Ryzen my procie wouldn't last a year(with the way my friend kept showing me graphs almost every 2 days).

Offline noobas4urus

• Mod Munky of another realm
    • The Mod Zoo
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 22:18:40 »

Oh god. I seriously play hearthstone as my main game(ive never gotten under rank 9 despite spending a ton load of money because i suck) since back in 2013 when i got a beta key. Other than that I play overwatch(my most graphic intense game). With my old laptop(2006 toshiba) medium settings was killing me in overwatch. But i swear to GOD the experience has been better on hearthstone so far(and overwatch). Thanks for the advice. I thought with the release of Ryzen my procie wouldn't last a year(with the way my friend kept showing me graphs almost every 2 days).

The joke hits home lol.  To be honest, you're probably set for 4+ years for those titles, and probably more if you upgrade your GPU in a few years and start OC'ing your i7.  I'm playing Overwatch on High settings with a GTX 670, an i5 4670k (no OC) and 8gb ram and it's all gucci over here.
"You miss 100% of the raffles you don't enter."
-Wayne Gretzky

Offline looncraz

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 22:23:47 »
I thought with the release of Ryzen my procie wouldn't last a year(with the way my friend kept showing me graphs almost every 2 days).

Ryzen is awesome for multi-threading while being efficient and no slouch in single-threaded workloads.

Your 7700k is faster than a similar 4/8 Ryzen, but it costs more (a lot more).  It will likely soon lose close to half of its resale value IF Ryzen can hit the same frequencies (which is no guarantee, by any means).

Ryzen won't make things faster for you, really, but you might be able to sell what you have and then buy Ryzen and save $100 or more with no real loss in performance... unless you go with a larger Ryzen, such as the six core or eight core models...  which won't help most games, but will help many other areas.

I agree with keeping what you have, though.  You need to sale *now* at no extra cost (no seller fees, no shipping costs to you, etc...) and then wait for Ryzen (a week to go!) and hope it's everything you need and that you can get your chip and motherboard while stock is still available (first runs are usually sold out quick, no matter how many CPUs or boards are made).  It's not worth the risk or effort.

If you were in the market for building a system today and were looking at the 7700k, I'd imagine everyone here would say the same thing as your friend: WAIT!  Ryzen, FTW!

Offline swissdane23

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 22:51:18 »
I thought with the release of Ryzen my procie wouldn't last a year(with the way my friend kept showing me graphs almost every 2 days).

Ryzen is awesome for multi-threading while being efficient and no slouch in single-threaded workloads.

Your 7700k is faster than a similar 4/8 Ryzen, but it costs more (a lot more).  It will likely soon lose close to half of its resale value IF Ryzen can hit the same frequencies (which is no guarantee, by any means).

Ryzen won't make things faster for you, really, but you might be able to sell what you have and then buy Ryzen and save $100 or more with no real loss in performance... unless you go with a larger Ryzen, such as the six core or eight core models...  which won't help most games, but will help many other areas.

I agree with keeping what you have, though.  You need to sale *now* at no extra cost (no seller fees, no shipping costs to you, etc...) and then wait for Ryzen (a week to go!) and hope it's everything you need and that you can get your chip and motherboard while stock is still available (first runs are usually sold out quick, no matter how many CPUs or boards are made).  It's not worth the risk or effort.

If you were in the market for building a system today and were looking at the 7700k, I'd imagine everyone here would say the same thing as your friend: WAIT!  Ryzen, FTW!

To be honest most of that stuff was way over my head. -_- I'm just a writer. xD But your opinions gave me a bit of an idea than what my friend was saying(endless charts). I guess im gonna stick with what I have. Theres no way ill be able to sell something like this locally in this back-water country. Might be a good idea to go Ryzen for my brothers build though. Much appreciated. :)

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 05:24:40 »
Blah I was 100% sure I was getting Zen for the longest time, but now I'm feeling like it'll need to impress me enough to move off my Xeon E5 1620.
Not the newest CPU on the block but still a damn strong powerhouse

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 06:14:36 »

To be honest most of that stuff was way over my head. -_- I'm just a writer. xD But your opinions gave me a bit of an idea than what my friend was saying(endless charts). I guess im gonna stick with what I have. Theres no way ill be able to sell something like this locally in this back-water country. Might be a good idea to go Ryzen for my brothers build though. Much appreciated. :)

The hassle to move from 7700k to zen wouldn't be worth it..

We're also still waiting for legit benchmarks, all the stuff so far is --rumor based--

If it's as good as the --RUMOR--  then it'll be a good choice for productivity and game streamers.. 

But for personal Gaming,  I think intel is a short price adjust away from staying in the lead for a very long time..

Offline swissdane23

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 09:57:46 »

The hassle to move from 7700k to zen wouldn't be worth it..

We're also still waiting for legit benchmarks, all the stuff so far is --rumor based--

If it's as good as the --RUMOR--  then it'll be a good choice for productivity and game streamers.. 

But for personal Gaming,  I think intel is a short price adjust away from staying in the lead for a very long time..

My friend sent me this video and told me to skip to 9:18. Can you explain it to me? Im pretty close to unfriending his ass on facebook. -_-

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 10:49:41 »
> Says old version was basically the same within a frame or 3
> shows game play with release version
> still within a frame or 3
> "ZOMG MUCH BETTER PERFORMANCE, CLEAR WIN"

Offline swissdane23

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 11:09:42 »
> Says old version was basically the same within a frame or 3
> shows game play with release version
> still within a frame or 3
> "ZOMG MUCH BETTER PERFORMANCE, CLEAR WIN"

So... Uh... I dont get the sarcasm alot. Its good? Thats what the video means right? Im sorry. Im not a techie. They showed that chart thing again. and i saw higher numbers in FPS. So 3 fps is good right?

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 11:49:07 »
Time to upgrade the server to an 8 core.  :p

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 14:25:47 »

Reusing gtx970, power supply, back up ssd and hdd.

Offline looncraz

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 14:40:28 »
Show Image

I wouldn't get the 960 Pro unless you will be REALLY writing a LOT of data.  Get the Evo and put more money into the motherboard.

I ordered the 1800X and Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero from Amazon just a minute or so after they became available for pre-order, so I feel good about getting mine early :p

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 16:39:09 »
Yes and no.
Even a good SB is enough for most people, even gamers, but more speed is always nice.

I just went from 2600k to to a 6700k, and there is a pretty big difference actually. Much more than I expected, however I think a lot of the gains where in the motherboard/chipset/efficiency than the processor itself.

This. So much this.
It doesn't even matter if AMD beats Intel in performance, so long as they are close, and cheaper.

Competition is always good, especially with Intel. It's not that Intel rests on their laurels, it's that they will sit on advances and keep prices artificially high. This will light a fire under Intel's a$$.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 17:08:58 »
Show Image

I wouldn't get the 960 Pro unless you will be REALLY writing a LOT of data.  Get the Evo and put more money into the motherboard.

I ordered the 1800X and Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero from Amazon just a minute or so after they became available for pre-order, so I feel good about getting mine early :p

Only one mATX board available right now.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 17:53:58 »
Didn't they rename it to something really stupid sounding?

edit - Ryzen lmao that is even worse than I remembered it  :))

« Last Edit: Wed, 22 February 2017, 17:57:49 by noisyturtle »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 21:44:32 »
Makes sense for rendering or general multi-threaded workloads. Makes less sense for gaming unless you're streaming.. unless gaming production companies decide to develop for multi-threading, which I guess is kind of like when gaming companies decided to develop for x86-64 instruction sets.. /shrug.

Anyway, thank you tp4
Chris Schammert

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 02:26:52 »
I am anxiously awaiting some real reviews ... or for intel prices to go down.

Including currency fluctuations, the local price of a Skylake CPU has gone up 20% since last summer.
Back then I had a 6700K, motherboard and RAM on preorder for a good price, the order waiting only for the cooler that I wanted, but the cooler did not arrive for a month so I cancelled the whole order.. and I still have not upgraded. Argh!
🍉

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 04:03:17 »

Including currency fluctuations, the local price of a Skylake CPU has gone up 20% since last summer.
Back then I had a 6700K, motherboard and RAM on preorder for a good price, the order waiting only for the cooler that I wanted, but the cooler did not arrive for a month so I cancelled the whole order.. and I still have not upgraded. Argh!
Even Haswell and Devil's Canyon has hardly dropped in price... That's Intel for you without competition. Even new old stock Sandy Bridge is commanding insane prices. Had AMD not run up on Intel a few times in the past, driving down prices, a modern I5 would probably be closer to $1000.

News for Nvidia lovers, they too would be two or three times higher without AMD/ATI giving them hell over the years. I only use Nvidia if I have no other choice, there is a special place in hell for them.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 07:37:29 »

Even Haswell and Devil's Canyon has hardly dropped in price... That's Intel for you without competition. Even new old stock Sandy Bridge is commanding insane prices. Had AMD not run up on Intel a few times in the past, driving down prices, a modern I5 would probably be closer to $1000.

News for Nvidia lovers, they too would be two or three times higher without AMD/ATI giving them hell over the years. I only use Nvidia if I have no other choice, there is a special place in hell for them.

It's important to keep in mind, that there are NO GOOD GUYS, in this..

When AMD was in the lead with their x64,   they did exactly what intel did..

So, competition is good relative to the consumer,  but AMD is no more virtuous a seller..

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 19:28:59 »
So, competition is good relative to the consumer,  but AMD is no more virtuous a seller..

Geezus now comparing Corporations to being Virtuous..... what gives ?

Only glad that AMD is now providing gear worthy of purchasing and this hasn't happened in a long time.  Also very happy in ordering a AMD Ryzen 1700X cpu but still trying to pick which motherboard to buy.

Glad to be finally building some AMD gear instead of the same repugnant Intel junk pile.  Took a long time to get here but glad it's finally arrived, 2017 the year of AMD kicking back with some decent hardware.

YES, I am definitely excited about them returning to the fold  :thumb: .

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 20:33:29 »
It's important to keep in mind, that there are NO GOOD GUYS, in this..

When AMD was in the lead with their x64,   they did exactly what intel did..

I can't remember ever paying more for AMD than I have for Intel, even when AMD was in the lead.

Every company is out to make money, that's the idea and I can't fault them for that, however, Nvidia has done some seriously shady things not just towards their customers but even their own investors. And not just once, either. Say what you will, but AMD has never screwed me over and never knowingly sold me junk.

And then there is this.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 08:39:00 »

Geezus now comparing Corporations to being Virtuous..... what gives ?

Only glad that AMD is now providing gear worthy of purchasing and this hasn't happened in a long time.  Also very happy in ordering a AMD Ryzen 1700X cpu but still trying to pick which motherboard to buy.

Glad to be finally building some AMD gear instead of the same repugnant Intel junk pile.  Took a long time to get here but glad it's finally arrived, 2017 the year of AMD kicking back with some decent hardware.

YES, I am definitely excited about them returning to the fold  :thumb: .

There's still this small issue right now of overclocking..  AMD needs to hit 4.7ghz consistently on most chips..

(we don't know how difficult this will be)

Overall Zen should force intel to open the gate,  no more k-series bull ****..

the 7700k @ ~250ishh sounds plausible..

IMHO,  if intel just respond INSTANTLY , say,  TOMORROW,   they can kill off ALL momentum for AMD.. before it even arrives..

IDK, why they don't do that..   ATTACK MODE..