Author Topic: PSA: don't put your scooter keys in the storage compartment  (Read 2716 times)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
PSA: don't put your scooter keys in the storage compartment
« on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 18:12:25 »
Stressful day.  Let's just say that.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Re: PSA: don't put your scooter keys in the storage compartment
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 18:39:35 »
What about the storage keys in the scooter compartment?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 18:42:13 »
What about the storage keys in the scooter compartment?

I recommend avoiding any keys in the scooter compartment; you never know what important keys are attached to that key chain.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 18:52:51 »
My friend takes the piss out of me because I have so many lanyards, but they all have a different purpose.

One carries house keys, USB stick, loyalty cards. Next carries my car key on it's own. Third carries keys to all my anti-theft devices on the car so I can get the car warming up while I take everything off.

I have before locked my car keys in my car though, so you aren't alone there. I'm guessing you put your scooter keys in said scooter's storage compartment which then locked?

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 19:21:50 »
My friend takes the piss out of me because I have so many lanyards, but they all have a different purpose.

One carries house keys, USB stick, loyalty cards. Next carries my car key on it's own. Third carries keys to all my anti-theft devices on the car so I can get the car warming up while I take everything off.

I have before locked my car keys in my car though, so you aren't alone there. I'm guessing you put your scooter keys in said scooter's storage compartment which then locked?

Keys, keys, keys!  So many, yet how do we store them all?!

Probably at least once or twice a year, I lock myself out of my vehicle, it's a bad habit.  Usually through the goodwill of the local police department, all I lose is a couple hours of my time.

Today I hit a new low, though, I'll tell the story for therapy purposes.  I rode the scooter to a local park to go for a walk and decided to put the garage door opener and house keys in the locked scooter storage compartment rather than carry them on the walk.  But I mistakenly put the scooter keys in there as well and immediately kicked myself.  After phone calls to friends, family, and roadside assistance, and a few hours of waiting, my friend and I were able to pry the compartment open so I could reach in and grab my keys.  That causes me to ask questions about the security of the storage compartment, but I am greatly relieved.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 19:44:28 »
I just leave them in my pockets usually, have the lanyard bit hanging down so I know where they are at all times.

Wow, yeah that sucks. The moment of realisation as well when you know that fraction of a second after you do something that you are going to regret it... But you are probably right about the locked bit, it may even be weaker now you have broken into it...

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 00:29:07 »
Ah keys........

I think I have told this story before but it is one that I will remember till the day I finally stop having to file a tax return....

So my wife (out of wedlock sinful wench at the time) and I had just moved into our first apartment. It was on the ground floor and was pretty ****ing ghetto.

Well lets just say I get routines stuck in my head and they become habit so if someone else becomes in charge of said part of that routine I have no choice but to ask them a relevant question about the situation. For example I always check to make sure I have the key to my house before I close the door, but my out of wedlock sinful wench owned the only car we had at the time and if we went out, the house key was on the car key chain so it didn't make sense for me to take one also.

Well just before I would shut the door, I would ask her do you have the house key. After a few months of this she became grumpy at the question and told me to never ask her that again. Me thinking ok then I would like to actually get laid and if I keep asking this she will cease putting out so I vowed to stop asking.

WELL, the very first time we stepped out of the house after this I did not ask her about the key and shut the door. She immediately turned white and I knew straight away. I simply said "you don't have the key do you"

SHE ****ING DIDN'T HAVE THE KEY THE DUMB ****. I couldn't be ****ed waiting for a locksmith so I picked the smallest window and smashed it to get in. It cost about $150 to replace, the locksmith would have been more. so a simple question can save you hundreds.

Moral of the story, don't tell me to stop being OCD there is a ****ing reason for it.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 07:39:03 »
I just leave them in my pockets usually, have the lanyard bit hanging down so I know where they are at all times.

Wow, yeah that sucks. The moment of realisation as well when you know that fraction of a second after you do something that you are going to regret it... But you are probably right about the locked bit, it may even be weaker now you have broken into it...

I can't describe how much I cussed at myself for this one.  I hope that my tomorrow, I will be laughing at myself.  I guess that I don't care if the storage compartment is weaker, not like I'm storing gold bars and diamond rings in there, just food and cloths and stuff.

Ah keys........

I think I have told this story before but it is one that I will remember till the day I finally stop having to file a tax return....

So my wife (out of wedlock sinful wench at the time) and I haWell lets just say I get routines stuck in my head and they become habit so if someone else becomes in charge of said part of that routine I have no choice but to ask them a relevant question about the situation. For example I always check to make sure I have the key to my house before I close the door, but my out of wedlock sinful wench owned the only car we had at the time and if we went out, the house key was on the car key chain so it didn't make sense for me to take one also.
d just moved into our first apartment. It was on the ground floor and was pretty ****ing ghetto.

Well lets just say I get routines stuck in my head and they become habit so if someone else becomes in charge of said part of that routine I have no choice but to ask them a relevant question about the situation. For example I always check to make sure I have the key to my house before I close the door, but my out of wedlock sinful wench owned the only car we had at the time and if we went out, the house key was on the car key chain so it didn't make sense for me to take one also.

Well just before I would shut the door, I would ask her do you have the house key. After a few months of this she became grumpy at the question and told me to never ask her that again. Me thinking ok then I would like to actually get laid and if I keep asking this she will cease putting out so I vowed to stop asking.

WELL, the very first time we stepped out of the house after this I did not ask her about the key and shut the door. She immediately turned white and I knew straight away. I simply said "you don't have the key do you"

SHE ****ING DIDN'T HAVE THE KEY THE DUMB ****. I couldn't be ****ed waiting for a locksmith so I picked the smallest window and smashed it to get in. It cost about $150 to replace, the locksmith would have been more. so a simple question can save you hundreds.

Moral of the story, don't tell me to stop being OCD there is a ****ing reason for it.

Great story.  I do the same obsessive thing, same stuff in same spot, always.  Except when you forget to do so, you F yourself.  I had a manual locking car, and I would always lock the door every time I got out of the car.  Then I would lock it with the keys in the ignition at least once or twice a year.  I remember locking the keys in the car with the ignition running once or twice.  That was a good one.

I thought about breaking into my apartment, because the upstairs windows are unlocked and I can get into them with a ladder and crowbar.  Locksmiths are f-ing expensive.

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 12:05:51 »

I can't describe how much I cussed at myself for this one.  I hope that my tomorrow, I will be laughing at myself.  I guess that I don't care if the storage compartment is weaker, not like I'm storing gold bars and diamond rings in there, just food and cloths and stuff.

Ah keys........

So my wife (out of wedlock sinful wench at the time) and I haWell lets just say I get routines stuck in my head and they become habit so if someone else becomes in charge of said part of that routine I have no choice but to ask them a relevant question about the situation. For example I always check to make sure I have the key to my house before I close the door, but my out of wedlock sinful wench owned the only car we had at the time and if we went out, the house key was on the car key chain so it didn't make sense for me to take one also.
d just moved into our first apartment. It was on the ground floor and was pretty ****ing ghetto.

Great story.  I do the same obsessive thing, same stuff in same spot, always.  Except when you forget to do so, you F yourself.  I had a manual locking car, and I would always lock the door every time I got out of the car.  Then I would lock it with the keys in the ignition at least once or twice a year.  I remember locking the keys in the car with the ignition running once or twice.  That was a good one.

I thought about breaking into my apartment, because the upstairs windows are unlocked and I can get into them with a ladder and crowbar.  Locksmiths are f-ing expensive.

Yeah...  I think at some point we have all done this and paid the price.  It's worth being obsessive about some things.  Back in college when I was constantly in a purple haze or drunken stupor, I came up with a solid mantra:

Keys.  Wallet. Cell phone.

In order of importance.  If you have your keys, you can get in your home.  Even if you have to walk, hitch hike, whatever.  Keys first.  Wallet.  If you have your keys and wallet, you can always get where you need to go and still get home.  Cell phone helps you get in touch with people in case of emergency.  This was optional back then, because there were still public phones...

Saved my ass so many times.  KEYS WALLET CELL PHONE.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 12:22:55 »
I just leave my door unlocked..  don't keep any valuables in the car.. same with the house.. no point in locking it.. 

if anyone wanted to steal from my house, they'd just knock out the defenseless window next to the door, and reach in..

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 17:26:28 »
I just leave my door unlocked..  don't keep any valuables in the car.. same with the house.. no point in locking it.. 

if anyone wanted to steal from my house, they'd just knock out the defenseless window next to the door, and reach in..

Funny story, my old car was rifled through a few times.  They never took anything because there wasn't anything worth taking.

I'm able to laugh about the scooter incident now.  I couple good movies can do wonders for our psyche.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 19:39:32 »
I lived with my best bud from high school for a few years. The guy wouldn't carry his keys when he left the apartment for some reason. What's worse is he knocked like a cop. I didn't smoke at the time but I skateboarded enough to develop an anxiety. So every time he knocked I assumed the police followed me from some random skate spot. I've locked my keys into countless things. At least I had them with me so that I could lock them into stuff though.. ffs

Offline nugglets

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 20:08:25 »

I still do this every time I leave the house as well. Same order, for the same reasons. Pretty funny to hear someone else say it, because my friends like to give me **** for it.

I actually tap each one in my pockets as I'm saying it in my head. Hasn't failed me yet.

That said, I've become pretty adept at breaking into houses from being around other people who've locked themselves out. A lot of window latches can be opened from the outside relatively easily, and without causing any damage, with basic tools and the right approach.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 20:44:46 »

I still do this every time I leave the house as well. Same order, for the same reasons. Pretty funny to hear someone else say it, because my friends like to give me **** for it.

I actually tap each one in my pockets as I'm saying it in my head. Hasn't failed me yet.

That said, I've become pretty adept at breaking into houses from being around other people who've locked themselves out. A lot of window latches can be opened from the outside relatively easily, and without causing any damage, with basic tools and the right approach.

It actually gives me comfort that it is so easy to break into houses and cars, but so few people do it (I say this as a victim to various thefts and break-ins).  Sorta verifies my theory that vast majority of us are decent people, it's very few of us that resort to criminal activity.