Author Topic: An Analysis of Alternate Keyboard Layouts  (Read 2774 times)

Offline scruffles

An Analysis of Alternate Keyboard Layouts
« on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 20:28:53 »
This is a pretty old article so it may well have been posted before. A quick forum search didn't turn anything up for me, however.

http://www.arcavia.com/kyle/Projects/ProgrammerKeyboard.html

While the article's conclusion is that it's probably not worth it to learn an alternate layout (and it rather puts that issue to rest for me personally, as well), I'm quite sure there are those that will vehemently disagree. And that's fine. They should use whatever layout they personally find to be the most pleasant/efficient. :)

Also it's obvious that the results would be different if a different cost function was used. However, I think the author made some reasonable choices in assigning his weights.

And lastly it doesn't really get into ergonomics. However, I'd presuppose that there's an inverse correlation between ease/efficiency of typing, and discomfort/risk of RSI.

Anyways, I thought it was interesting, and thought others here might find it interesting as well.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
Re: An Analysis of Alternate Keyboard Layouts
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 02:01:18 »
thanks for sharing. great read.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 04:06:38 »
I beg to differ from your assessment of the article. I would say it concludes that it's not worth DESIGNING your own keyboard layout unless you have a lot of time and better metrics to base it on. Others have done this (myself included) and come up with layouts that suit them very well. I came up with a very good layout for my own criteria, but didn't take typing rythm into account, which I should have. In the end I concluded that a slightly modified AdNW (for "normal" staggered keyboard) and BU-Teck (for non-staggered "ergo" keyboard) suit me best and I suspect would suit most people better than the popular alternatives for variuos reasons (Dvorak, Colemak, Workman, etc.).

I think it is worth learning a better layout than QWERTY, but the benefit is marginal compared to also switching to an ergonomic keyboard (better physical layout). Doing BOTH at the same time is very well worth it, IMHO. That way you can also keep reasonable QWERTY typing skills since you are training a whole new set of muscle memory instead of modifying the set you learnt for QWERTY.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 05:48:47 »
The article is about keyboards used for programming and not ergonomics per se. I've been programming for some 30 years, 15 of those on a Kinesis and more recently on a TECK. Before that was standard PC keyboard layouts which are the worst.

The most important thing to a programmer is easy access to all the keys you need, which is every key on the keyboard since we use all the odd ones frequently. The navigation keys are probably the most important as you spend most of your time scrolling around and putting the insertion point somewhere. Both the Kinesis and TECK get high marks in this regards as they both prominently configure those keys in different ways. I prefer the dual symmetric arrow blocks of the TECK, but the Kinesis nicely puts those right below the home row so a hand shift isn't required. 

Secondly you want good and easy access to the modifiers and accessory keys like Return, Space, Tab, Delete and Backspace. You use all of those keys a lot! I love how the TECK has dual symmetric modifier keys (Shift, Command, Meta and Control) on either side, with the rest of them all in the center. The Kinesis has them scattered around with not a full dual set of symmetric modifiers, and no Del key I believe or one not easily accessible (on an eraser). Speaking of which full mechanical Function keys! The Kinesis has them all on crummy eraser keys.

As for the letters they should just be QWERTY for muscle memory. You just type variable names and reserved names so those can be written just fine in QWERTY.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 September 2013, 05:50:33 by Architect »
TECK 209 Blank Keys; Leopold Number Pad; X-Keys Professional; X-Keys 84.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 06:12:51 »
Layout it, for programmer or typist or both?
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"