Author Topic: What are you watching? The thread about what you're watching.  (Read 392603 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: What are you watching? The thread about what you're watching.
« Reply #750 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 17:30:52 »

Yea, it didn't mmm... this is the problem with retaining actors these days, everyone wants the $$, actors don't really deserve it, the show suffers.

I didnt see S3 problems being with the acting.  In fact, given the tripe they were given for script, they did pretty well.

No, I would put the S3 ****show directly on the show runners.  S3 was an uninteresting linear story with major characters not being given anything to do.  Bernard spent most of the season wandering around, and his payoff in the last episode was unsatisfying.  And Mauve was portrayed as uncharacteristically weak and dumb.

This season delved into predictive and deterministic behavior.  Devs did it better.

I'm refering to the -Compression- they have to do in production.

The script is fine, but it felt very tight and they didn't have the space to flesh out the story.

The actors demand too much compensation, which forces cuts everywhere else.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #751 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 18:06:47 »
All I know is season 1 was great, two degraded with each episode, and Angela Sarafyan is cripplingly beautiful. I can't watch any scene with her in it because I just wind up staring at her and not paying attention like some weak minded freak.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #752 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 22:26:16 »
Just finished "Into The Night" (the 2020 series).
I started watching just to see how they explained it (the premise is flaky at best) and ended up binge watching the whole thing.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline clankgy1

• Formerly digifiend
« Reply #753 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 23:53:20 »

Yea, it didn't mmm... this is the problem with retaining actors these days, everyone wants the $$, actors don't really deserve it, the show suffers.

I didnt see S3 problems being with the acting.  In fact, given the tripe they were given for script, they did pretty well.

No, I would put the S3 ****show directly on the show runners.  S3 was an uninteresting linear story with major characters not being given anything to do.  Bernard spent most of the season wandering around, and his payoff in the last episode was unsatisfying.  And Mauve was portrayed as uncharacteristically weak and dumb.

This season delved into predictive and deterministic behavior.  Devs did it better.

I'm refering to the -Compression- they have to do in production.

The script is fine, but it felt very tight and they didn't have the space to flesh out the story.

The actors demand too much compensation, which forces cuts everywhere else.

Lazy writing.  All the money in the world would have done nothing except put an exceptional shine on the turd of a season.

Honestly, it felt like the season was dumbed down because too many people complained.

Two more episodes may have helped, but only if they didn't continue to make bad choices about character and story developent.
RF87U 55g (damaged)  |  AV3 w/POM Plate  |  Thermal (to be built)  |  ID80v1 (to be rebuilt)  |  Tokyo60

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #754 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 02:42:20 »
Just watched The Hudsucker Proxy.

I really really enjoyed this movie, it's humor was right up my alley. An early Coen Bros film starring Tim Robbins as a seemingly dimwitted and unlucky guy and Paul Newman as a fantastic characterized business exec. Great support cast all-around, incredible writing, genuinely funny throughout. Can't believe I've never seen or even heard of this film. I'll need to give it a second viewing sometime in the future, but right now it's leaving a very favorable impression.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #755 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 04:20:12 »

I really really enjoyed this movie, it's humor was right up my alley. An early Coen Bros film starring Tim Robbins as a seemingly dimwitted and unlucky guy and Paul Newman as a fantastic characterized business exec. Great support cast all-around, incredible writing, genuinely funny throughout. Can't believe I've never seen or even heard of this film. I'll need to give it a second viewing sometime in the future, but right now it's leaving a very favorable impression.

It is a damn good flick.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #756 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 13:08:11 »

It is a damn good flick.

speakn' of old movies.

Chk out The Mephisto Waltz 1971,  it's got Alan Alda from Mash.   

Offline econeuler

« Reply #757 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 15:47:01 »
Has anyone seen the latest season of Silicon Valley? I'm watching it atm, and I must say
it's quite funny  :)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #758 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 18:19:22 »
Has anyone seen the latest season of Silicon Valley? I'm watching it atm, and I must say

It ended really abruptly without tying up a ton of loose series ends, or tying them up very messily. The last episode felt like an "Oh ****, they canceled us we need to do a final episode that concludes everything with half our usual budget and time"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #759 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 23:08:16 »
I tried watching silicon valley a few times, I just couldn't get into it because the characters were so obnoxious.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #760 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 01:53:29 »
With a synopsis like this, u know it's gonna be gud'

--- A group of Finnish and British people get stuck at a cabin when they are attacked by a creature that is a half human, half rabbit. ---

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #761 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 04:50:32 »
Started watching Money Heist. The action and pacing is fun, albeit a bit stylized, but I'll bet yall know what I'm gonna say (I'm so sick of saying it, trust me) the writing is really bad. The dialogue is just atrocious making some of the characters downright unlikable, with the inner monologue of a high school drama kid's journal. Bad translation perhaps, but god damn some of it is just so amateurish and contrived. So far the plots fine, pacing is good, but that dialogue... hoo boy.

There are still shows out there with fantastic writing. Fargo, Better Call Saul, True Detective, American Horror Story, but this aint one of 'em boyo.

Offline econeuler

« Reply #762 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 05:04:15 »

It ended really abruptly without tying up a ton of loose series ends, or tying them up very messily. The last episode felt like an "Oh ****, they canceled us we need to do a final episode that concludes everything with half our usual budget and time"

Ah okay I see!

I tried watching silicon valley a few times, I just couldn't get into it because the characters were so obnoxious.

Haha yes for sure, it's a bit embarrassing from time to time, but I find it funny :)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #763 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 06:19:15 »

Ah okay I see!

Haha yes for sure, it's a bit embarrassing from time to time, but I find it funny :)

The first couple seasons are fantastic though. It kinda fell apart when TJ Miller went crazy and left the show, he was kinda the wild card holding it all together for me.

Offline econeuler

« Reply #764 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 10:49:33 »

Ah okay I see!

The first couple seasons are fantastic though. It kinda fell apart when TJ Miller went crazy and left the show, he was kinda the wild card holding it all together for me.

I see! For me Gilfoyle is the star of the show, haha, too funny

Offline IronCheeks

« Reply #765 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 11:20:45 »
Well, I'm not on the hype-train of Tiger King and I have not seen Silicon Valley, but I have watched quite a few shows and movies throughout this past month that my S.O. showed me while on quarantine.

Kim's Convenience has been such a great comedic relief for me can't wait for season 5 to come out. It's just so wholesome and feels right in these dark times.
To All the Boy's I Loved Before (and it's sequel) may have been a bit to feminine for my tastes, but it definitely made me feel like a high-schooler again regarding the whole romance-blooms thing.
Breeders, a British comedy about literally being crappy parents, has me laughing but also questioning my inner cynicism of potentially being like the caregivers I laugh at on the screen.
Schitt's Creek is something I just started. I love how much it  throws the stereotype of rich white-bread world-dwellers under the bus for the benefit of finding a hilarious baseline of suburban and satisfaction in life through doing good for comparison.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #766 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 23:00:32 »
Mickey Mouse shorts (2013). They are brilliant.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #767 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 12:24:23 »

Completely agree.  The show was still worth watching up to the end, but the later seasons really don't compare to the first couple.  I'd say the quality also took a bit of a hit when Christopher Evan Welch (Peter Gregory) passed - he played a bigger role than I think people give credit for.

Schitt's Creek is something I just started. I love how much it  throws the stereotype of rich white-bread world-dwellers under the bus for the benefit of finding a hilarious baseline of suburban and satisfaction in life through doing good for comparison.

Yes!  Schitt's Creek is hilarious, and has stayed quite funny over a handful of years.  Love that show.

Offline iri

« Reply #769 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 02:56:06 »
The last 2-3 episodes of Silicon Valley are not great with the last one being terrible.

Watched the entirety of Mandalorian in two evenings. All episodes but the last one are very good.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline econeuler

« Reply #770 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 06:55:44 »
The last 2-3 episodes of Silicon Valley are not great with the last one being terrible.

Watched the entirety of Mandalorian in two evenings. All episodes but the last one are very good.

Yes, had the same experience with SV unfortunately, I really like the show otherwise, the humor is on point!

Also, Mandalorian was really good! I enjoyed Altered Carbon as well. Do you have any other recommendations?

Offline iri

« Reply #771 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 08:57:38 »

Yes, had the same experience with SV unfortunately, I really like the show otherwise, the humor is on point!

Also, Mandalorian was really good! I enjoyed Altered Carbon as well. Do you have any other recommendations?
Random things which I watched in the last year or so and liked:

Better Call Saul
Beforeigners
De dag
Endeavour
Rake
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #772 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 11:00:03 »
I watched a couple of good place season 1 episodes yesterday

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #773 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 15:17:17 »

Mando was surprisingly good. I knew it was gonna be extravagant at $20 million an episode, but well acted and written too? It's the best new Star Wars content in like 20 years (I haven't seen Clone Wars, shaddup)

Word on the streets is Boba Tea is making an appearance in s02

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #774 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 16:09:23 »

Mando was surprisingly good. I knew it was gonna be extravagant at $20 million an episode, but well acted and written too? It's the best new Star Wars content in like 20 years (I haven't seen Clone Wars, shaddup)

Word on the streets is Boba Tea is making an appearance in s02

I actually liked how each episode was pretty self-contained rather than just a string of cliff-hangers all the way through. Baby yoda wasn't that interesting for me, but it got the wyfe to watch.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline iri

« Reply #775 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 17:05:14 »

I think it's the best Star Wars content since the original series. And it doesn't even have much to do with Star Wars. Could be set in Abbasid Caliphate and be just as good.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline JP

« Reply #776 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 17:34:24 »
Season 1

About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #777 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 17:50:04 »
Season 1

Watching this as well hahaha. Was the trade I made with wyfe for Mandalorian.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #778 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 18:04:53 »
Master Chef

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #779 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 19:31:05 »
aaaa why are there no new svu episodes aaa

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #780 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 23:07:15 »
Been enjoying Survivorman on Prime lately. Les actually knows what he's talking about, as opposed to Bear Grylls who is just an idiot.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #781 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 10:07:15 »
Nobody watched The Last Dance?

Probably the best sports documentary ever produced.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #782 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 11:51:31 »

breakdancing documentary ?

Offline bliss

« Reply #783 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 08:48:15 »
Thanks for the inspiration, going to check out the shows I have not viewed yet.

Future Man, Season 3. The time-travels of a janitor and two elite soldiers from the future led to the unforeseen consequences. The show is so bad that it is good, with great characters and plenty of self-irony. My favorite in years.

Safe for home:
More

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #784 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 13:02:05 »

MJ was a stone-cold mother****er. Too bad Kobe isn't alive to watch and comment.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #785 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 19:40:56 »
I watched The Interview last night. Also my sisters channel is able to make money now

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #786 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 02:43:27 »
Snowpiercer on Netflix...
Meeh, movie was better.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #787 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 05:51:16 »
Meeh, movie was better.

Wow, that's not saying much.
I started, didn't even get 10 minutes, checked a few notes on it and noped out. I watched the movie, I don't need to see a slow moving series about a slow moving trainwreck.

Pretty sure the movie was rated a LOT lower in the past.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #788 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 06:00:43 »
Meeh, movie was better.

I started, didn't even get 10 minutes, checked a few notes on it and noped out. I watched the movie, I don't need to see a slow moving series about a slow moving trainwreck.

Actually, in general people prefered movie. As you said, it was no point stretching it even more with episodes.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #789 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 07:02:07 »
Started watching The Last Dance. A Netflix show that you can't watch on Netflix apparently.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #790 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 08:15:03 »
Meeh, movie was better.

Actually, in general people prefered movie. As you said, it was no point stretching it even more with episodes.

You're all n00bs,  Tp4 read the web-comic, and noped out of the movie.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #791 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 01:51:53 »
Meeh, movie was better.

You're all n00bs,  Tp4 read the web-comic, and noped out of the movie.

Show Image

I can't imagine how that story could be dragged out even more over a series. I thought the movie was painfully long and slow.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #792 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 04:06:02 »
Watching "The Good Place" on Netflix with wyfe. Not too bad.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #793 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 20:32:09 »

Jeremy Wade is back.

Mysteries of the Deep on Discovery.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Kavik

« Reply #794 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 20:08:52 »

I finished it a couple weeks ago. It's the kind of show that made me sad when it ended, but I was glad that it wasn't dragged out and actually had a satisfying conclusion. One of my favorite shows of late.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #795 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 10:15:07 »

I finished it a couple weeks ago. It's the kind of show that made me sad when it ended, but I was glad that it wasn't dragged out and actually had a satisfying conclusion. One of my favorite shows of late.

Rarely does a show know when to call it quits. I'm half way through season 2 and can see they don't slow down with progression. Dragging out a show often ruins the whole series. I'm glad that it'll get wrapped up without garbage filler.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #796 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 09:47:37 »
I finished Justified last night. Another great one for the books.

Offline Bonsa

« Reply #797 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 17:59:06 »
I'm currently bingeing drifting dragons on Netflix. I hated the first zpisode and I still dislike the intro song, but I like how the series puts dragons in a completely different perspective. You got to love anime though.
Also Peaky Blinders first 3 seasons are nice.
Band of Brothers is very nice if you're into second world war stories (it's very accurate). Plus, you get to see David Schwimmer as an officer.

Offline bliss

« Reply #798 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 08:29:05 »
Started watching The Last Dance. A Netflix show that you can't watch on Netflix apparently.

Thanks for the pointer - great show! Interesting study of personalities, my favorite is Rodman obviously, and good to see the classics again, like Pip, Bird... And I find Carmen Electra to be very personable

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #799 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 05:26:57 »
There was recently a 3 part mini series called Grant, about our president, if you can find it, watch it.

I kept putting it off and putting it off, it was fantastic. Our history books in school have done a terrible job representing him (much of it on purpose).
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More