Author Topic: What are you watching? The thread about what you're watching.  (Read 392598 times)

Offline Kavik

Re: What are you watching? The thread about what you're watching.
« Reply #950 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 13:24:49 »
I started watching Star Trek: Picard. It's not bad so far, but it doesn't feel like Star Trek; the technology feels like generic sci-fi, the cinematography seems like a tryhard action movie, and there's SWEARING?! I don't mind profanity at all, but it feels really out of place in Star Trek for some reason. Edit: (Apparently, this has been a debated topic about Discovery and Picard that was I was not aware of until I just googled it. I guess I'm part of the "prude, pearl-clutching" fan-base).
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 December 2020, 13:41:15 by Kavik »
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #951 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 13:57:50 »
I started watching Star Trek: Picard. It's not bad so far, but it doesn't feel like Star Trek; the technology feels like generic sci-fi, the cinematography seems like a tryhard action movie, and there's SWEARING?! I don't mind profanity at all, but it feels really out of place in Star Trek for some reason. Edit: (Apparently, this has been a debated topic about Discovery and Picard that was I was not aware of until I just googled it. I guess I'm part of the "prude, pearl-clutching" fan-base).

Yea, they've departed from the TREK-FEEEL.  It's too little plot over too long a span.  Trek is fast exploration.  What they've got now is let's milk the audience for 3 seasons until the actors get too expensive then cancel.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #952 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 21:32:41 »
Picard isn't allowed to be part of the old TNG universe due to Star Trek intellectual property ownership being split.

One company owns the rights to TNG as well as syndication rights and a few other specific parts of Trek (TNG universe/timeline), the other company owns pretty much everything else including the franchise name. Neither company owns enough to make anything true TNG based. Picard is about as close to a reboot or continuation as you will ever get without ownership being unified again and neither seems willing to budge.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #953 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 00:40:04 »
don't think continuation is the problem, it's the format. Trek fans know what they want, and it's not this millennial/ genZ crap.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #954 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 19:32:16 »
Watched Top Gear Grand Tour: Massive Hunt which was great, really enjoyed the special. One of the best specials they did in a while.
Rewatching River Monsters too, what a great show. I miss Wade but he's probably a bit old for those adventures now.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #955 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 19:59:55 »

the other company owns pretty much everything else including the franchise name

Picard is about as close to a reboot or continuation as you will ever get

Have we discussed "Star Trek Continues" here? I can't remember.

I was appalled at first, because of the disparity in appearance (and PARTICULARLY in the voices, excepting Scotty, of course) of the primary characters, but after persevering through the first few episodes I found it to be legit and solid, and even came to like most of the characters (even though they were significantly inferior replicants of the originals). The writing and dialogue were spot-on.

Ultimately, my big problem with TNG was the characters. TNG failed to move me like TOS did, the only characters that I really felt that I "liked" were Data and Troi, Geordie almost made it to the "liking" level and Picard was tolerable but way too pompous. The rest of them were cardboard, and Riker in particular irritated the hell out of me.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #956 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 21:17:52 »
Watched Top Gear Grand Tour: Massive Hunt which was great, really enjoyed the special. One of the best specials they did in a while.
I'm not sure it was great but definitely enjoyable.
That Caterham took a LOT of abuse and kept right on going.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 December 2020, 21:19:34 by Leslieann »
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #957 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 21:23:44 »

Yeah that was very surprising. 2wd across that crazy terrain.

As far as GT specials the Mongolia one is still Tops for me.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #958 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 23:33:54 »

Tp4 just can't enjoy cars,  you've got the deadly highway, other humans with questionable intellect.  Cars are also outside, everything bad is outside.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #959 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 00:42:37 »

everything bad is outside.

what about black mold and house centipedes?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #961 on: Sun, 20 December 2020, 21:12:29 »
Primal, done by the dude who created Samurai Jack and Dexter's Lab. Excellent animation series, no dialogue - all visual storytelling. I absolutly love it. Very violent, very well researched and accurate while still maintaining a heavy fantasy train of thought. It heavily reminds me of a comic series I was obsessed with as a kid, Age Of Reptiles by Ricardo Delgado. Heavily detailed in it's art and world, great at humanizing the beasts, great fantastical colors and landscapes. It's just an all-around great show.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #962 on: Mon, 21 December 2020, 16:33:39 »
Started binging the Star Wars Rebels series, don't know why I didn't start sooner (good series) as I loved the Clone Wars series as well.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #963 on: Tue, 22 December 2020, 19:07:54 »
I'm watching The Great. It's pretty funny and well acted.

Struggled through two episodes of Schitts Creek cos everybody seems to be talking about it. Don't think it's funny at all.

Started on Moonbase 8. Not sure if I like it yet it seems alright.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #964 on: Tue, 22 December 2020, 22:41:28 »
Big Cat Tales
It's a (large) Kenya preserve documenting the cats that live there, mostly lions, leopards and cheetahs(!). Theres a lot of other animals covered but it's primarily about the cats.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline iri

« Reply #965 on: Wed, 23 December 2020, 05:46:38 »
Struggled through two episodes of Schitts Creek cos everybody seems to be talking about it. Don't think it's funny at all.
Yeah, it's pretty ****.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #966 on: Wed, 23 December 2020, 08:38:18 »
Schitt$ is a slow start, has some funny parts but sometimes I want to smack some of the main characters

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #967 on: Sun, 27 December 2020, 22:40:16 »
Wonder Woman '84 was so bad I got up and walked right out of my house.

Offline olvias

« Reply #969 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 04:30:48 »
Just finished watching season 1 of "Cobra Kai." It's just what the doctor ordered with all the doom and gloom that's been visited upon us this year. Nostalgic, tongue in cheek, lighthearted entertainment, with some good characters. Think I'm of an age where the time period just resonates so made me laugh way more than I expected.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #970 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 00:58:18 »
My housemate is making me watch Letterkenny. I really don't find it very funny, and the scenes with the hockey players are just downright insufferable. Some of it could be funny, but I think I have to devote so much focus on understanding their accents and fast speech that I can't focus on the jokes, and missing a few words here and there probably doesn't help.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #971 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 03:12:01 »
My housemate is making me watch Letterkenny. I really don't find it very funny, and the scenes with the hockey players are just downright insufferable. Some of it could be funny, but I think I have to devote so much focus on understanding their accents and fast speech that I can't focus on the jokes, and missing a few words here and there probably doesn't help.
I don't think that show was meant for an audience outside Canada when it started so don't feel bad.

The regional dialect lessens the longer it runs and it is worth it.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline andy55

« Reply #973 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 08:54:19 »
Finished Bridgerton on Sunday, really enjoyed it, and almost finished Schitt's Creek.

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #974 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 17:37:16 »
I finally started to watch DS9. I put it off. I watched a few isolated episodes before and didn’t like it very much back then. I’ve now finished the first season, and I have to say I still don’t like it any better.

I find most of the characters to be immoral and some even downright despicable. Kira is a racist and bigot on top of being a former terrorist who throws people into prison first and looks for justification later. She continuously disobeys direct orders and goes over Siskos head. And such a women is first officer? How am I supposed to sympathize with characters like that? Many of the values that TNG taught are lost to me in DS9, it doesn’t seem to follow the original vision of Star Trek at all. In fact, Id hardly call it star trek. All that made TNG so great to me, I just can’t find it in DS9.

I know that early Seasons of Star Trek are not supposed to be very good, but I think you get a pretty good idea what a Series is about from the first season nonetheless. Ill finish it, maybe I’ll like it better later. I doubt it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 January 2021, 17:38:55 by Olumin »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #975 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 18:24:44 »
it's a big show,  there is character development.

If your people were enslaved in work camps, you'd be kinda snippy too.

Offline Olumin

« Reply #976 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 12:07:18 »
it's a big show,  there is character development.

If your people were enslaved in work camps, you'd be kinda snippy too.

That’s what a so called "professional work ethic" is for. Personal prejudice and emotion should never interfere with judgment. It often does of cause, but it should not. And if it does the one responsible should be held accountable and be reprimanded.

Now compare that to DS9 "Duet", and you understand what I mean.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 January 2021, 12:11:53 by Olumin »

Offline Olumin

« Reply #977 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 12:10:55 »
Double post. One should really be able to delete posts, this is ridiculous. It is so easy to click on "quote" instead of "modify"
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 January 2021, 12:13:23 by Olumin »

Offline Kavik

« Reply #978 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 14:29:31 »
The first season of DS9 is not quite representative of the whole series, but your impressions are fairly accurate. I don't think characters necessarily have to be liked in the sense they are admirable; they can be liked because they are realistic and/or interesting. Kira's character, as well as basically all Bajorans, is defiant and views the Federation as a necessary evil to prevent the Cardassians from coming right back and occupying Bajor again, so she isn't always agreeable. I like that DS9 puts the Star Trek ideals to test by forcing different groups to abide together for a long period rather than during short skirmishes or excursions. Kira may have personal problems but her reasons for them are at least understandable. Plus, the term terrorist depends on which side you're on; her people were enslaved and brutalized, so they were terrorists to the Cardassians but freedom fighters/irregulars/guerillas/militia to the Bajorans. Given what we're presented with in the show, I am inclined to side with the Bajorans even though I don't like them much.

I do understand why it doesn't quite scratch the Star Trek itch though. It's a different type of show, and it does drag on at the end IMO.

But you really should keep watching to see the development of Garek. He's the best character. The Ferengi characters are entertaining as well, albeit silly.

Offline Olumin

« Reply #979 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 15:43:57 »
The first season of DS9 is not quite representative of the whole series, but your impressions are fairly accurate. I don't think characters necessarily have to be liked in the sense they are admirable; they can be liked because they are realistic and/or interesting. Kira's character, as well as basically all Bajorans, is defiant and views the Federation as a necessary evil to prevent the Cardassians from coming right back and occupying Bajor again, so she isn't always agreeable. I like that DS9 puts the Star Trek ideals to test by forcing different groups to abide together for a long period rather than during short skirmishes or excursions. Kira may have personal problems but her reasons for them are at least understandable. Plus, the term terrorist depends on which side you're on; her people were enslaved and brutalized, so they were terrorists to the Cardassians but freedom fighters/irregulars/guerillas/militia to the Bajorans. Given what we're presented with in the show, I am inclined to side with the Bajorans even though I don't like them much.

I do understand why it doesn't quite scratch the Star Trek itch though. It's a different type of show, and it does drag on at the end IMO.

But you really should keep watching to see the development of Garek. He's the best character. The Ferengi characters are entertaining as well, albeit silly.

Ill finish it alright. I just looked this up. Apparently the Cardassians killed about 10 million Bajorans during the occupation. Compared to a global population of 3.8 billion that’s only about 0,002% of all Bajorans. Compare that to the Nazis, who killed far more than 10 million during the holocaust in Europe alone! All of a sudden, those Cardassians don’t look so bad anymore, quite efficient actually!

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #980 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 19:20:15 »
Watched the first series of The Expanse. It's pretty good. Second series is a bit slow to get moving.

It's succeeding in scratching the sci fi itch I had that the disastrous Discovery and Picard couldn't. Those shows are so bad they make me angry.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #981 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 20:11:17 »
Watched the first series of The Expanse. It's pretty good. Second series is a bit slow to get moving.

It's succeeding in scratching the sci fi itch I had that the disastrous Discovery and Picard couldn't. Those shows are so bad they make me angry.

Season 3-5  , every shot is wallpaper worthy , it's just amazing.

Check out the HDR version

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #982 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 07:58:03 »
About to start watching Season 3 of American Gods (good timing on it's release too).

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #983 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 17:42:31 »
Watching the entire King Of The Hill series. Hated this show as a kid, but now I find it hilarious.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #984 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 19:03:32 »
Watching the entire King Of The Hill series. Hated this show as a kid, but now I find it hilarious.

Tp4 has actually never seen a complete episode of KOTH.

Man, the video quality is crap.. They pulled this off of the interlaced dvd

Offline andy55

« Reply #985 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 10:12:13 »
Really enjoyed Catherine the Great on Sky. Pretty entertaining, good acting, high production values. Happily watched it all. Don't know where and what liberties they took with history but a little wiki seemed like it was a reasonably accurate story, for TV at least.

Offline iri

« Reply #986 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 14:17:42 »
74 years old Mirren is a 33 years old empress? Yeah, sounds accurate.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #987 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 00:52:23 »

Peggy Hill is genuinely one of the most evil characters of any tv show in history. Just off the top of my head she has: stolen a bus of voters to commit voter fraud, kidnapped a child from another country, murdered a man in a meat factory in cold blood, smuggled drugs into prison for a convict, gotten her niece fired multiple times, lies constantly about being able to speak Spanish, made a Veteran's Day float out of dead bodies.
That's just like 2 seasons. She is pure evil.

There is a theory that she suffered brain damage after falling out an airplane at the end of season 3, and I am inclined to go with that theory because that is around the time she really ramps up her narcissistic craziness. Although Mike Judge has never confirmed nor denied this.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 January 2021, 00:57:23 by noisyturtle »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #988 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 20:49:39 »

Stoked!  Would have preferred an MST3K episode, but had to compromise because that never happened.

edit - What I meant was season 2 era or beyond MST3K
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 February 2021, 09:40:41 by csmertx »

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #989 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 21:52:25 »

Thats okay to hear

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #990 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 22:55:25 »
Tumbbad was a really cool movie that caught me off-guard. Great cinematography, and a very unique and creative plot that captures a time period and vibe very well.
Every Bollywood film I've ever seen has been corny and tongue-in-cheek with bad acting. This was not that.
Great film.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #991 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 19:15:06 »
pretty psyched for the new Mortal Kombat movie.
The trailer had everything! Heart ripping, Goro, and frozen weapons made from blood! Can't wait.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #992 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 19:17:10 »
Show Image

Stoked!  Would have preferred an MST3K episode, but had to compromise because that never happened.

I just watched All Out Attack and Final Wars. Really fun movies, I love this era of Godzilla where he's the big villain instead of the anti-hero and everything has that Power Rangers vibe to it.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #993 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 19:57:57 »
Show Image

I just watched All Out Attack and Final Wars. Really fun movies, I love this era of Godzilla where he's the big villain instead of the anti-hero and everything has that Power Rangers vibe to it.

Foam rubber suits all day long.  There's something cathartic about kaiju and or creature features.

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #994 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 02:05:11 »
I've gotta recommend "Made In Abyss" on Amazon Prime.

Whether or not you like Anime there's a lot to like here: incredible adventure story.

I strongly recommend Japanese audio and English subtitles (I can't remember if they even have English audio - maybe not).

I'd recommend Japanese audio for ANY anime, though, not just this one. Because:

1. An average Japanese voice actor performing with a Japanese script is a million times more interesting to hear than the GREATEST english-speaking actor reading off of a TRANSLATION. Much is lost in the process.
2. Expression is more than about just the words spoken: when the Japanese actors are speaking you can hear the body language.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #995 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 05:13:42 »
I've gotta recommend "Made In Abyss" on Amazon Prime.

Whether or not you like Anime there's a lot to like here: incredible adventure story.

I strongly recommend Japanese audio and English subtitles (I can't remember if they even have English audio - maybe not).

I'd recommend Japanese audio for ANY anime, though, not just this one. Because:

1. An average Japanese voice actor performing with a Japanese script is a million times more interesting to hear than the GREATEST english-speaking actor reading off of a TRANSLATION. Much is lost in the process.
2. Expression is more than about just the words spoken: when the Japanese actors are speaking you can hear the body language.

Except Dragon Ball Z..  DBZ is better in english.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #996 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 09:21:19 »
Hoping that true for the kaiju movies as well.  Found a few w/English subtitles on archive.org that would be cost prohibitive via Ebay. 

I've wondered what these goofy movies would be like without the English dubbing.  Europeans writing for and attempting a U.S. American accent can be over the top at times (1950-1990).

edit - that is
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 February 2021, 10:14:56 by csmertx »

Offline alertArchitect

• Genderless Void
« Reply #997 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 10:00:33 »
Personally not really been in the headspace for a lot of heavier movies or TV shows lately, but Drunk History and the Eric Andre Show are always good comedy "turn your brain off" shows when you're in the mood for them. Other than that, I mainly watch more "unconventional" media, I guess? Not many dedicated shows or movies in what I watch right now, basically. But if you're into some measure of car stuff, there's a show on YouTube made by the channel LoadingReadyRun called Road Quest, basically just a fun little series about a group of friends doing a 10-day road trip from the city of Victoria, on Vancouver Island, up through British Columbia in into the Yukon to Dawson City.

Though, as far as movies go, I may soon be back into a few as my sister and I plan to start introducing my mother, who is usually not into more anime-styled stuff, to the Studio Ghibli movies, some of the few things we think she'd like in that vein. We plan to start this weekend with either Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, Ponyo, or Spirited Away, but we're leaning towards Howl's Moving Castle because that seems a little more up our mother's alley in terms of what she likes. And we're in the mood for Howl's. Either way, looking forward to watching Ghibli movies again!

Offline korrelate

« Reply #998 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 22:43:11 »
I got to thinking about comedies and thought I'd share some gems that don't get talked about much these days:

Now, I'm not into lionizing the past. There is no 'golden age' in the past of American history and as far as I'm concerned humanity (as a whole) is barely distinguishable from monkeys and parrots. I myself have "more offenses at my beck than I have thoughts to put them in...," I'm just sharing movies that, in my youth, made me laugh.

Modern Problems
Chevy Chase
Special FX look absolutely terrible by today's standards; probably even by 80s standards but I just remember this being really funny.
Why no love?
Absolutely glamorizes drug use, et. al.

So Fine
(No one really that noteworthy that I'm aware of)
This was THE movie you wanted to be 17 for.
Why no love?
I haven't seen it in a while but from what I recall it's probably because it objectifies women as sex furniture., et. al.

Cannonball Run
Farrah Fawcett, Burt Reynolds, Dom Deluise, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Mel Tillis, Terry Bradshaw
and Jackie Chan's first ever appearance in an American Movie.
Why no love?
Pretty sure that if there's an audience to offend this movie offends it. Certainly objectifies women, glamorizes drunk driving (Sammy Davis and Dean Martin), stereotypes Asian Americans (Jackie Chan and his co-driver) and I don't know how people feel about Mel Tillis (famous for rising above his speech impediment) but an argument could be made that the producers & directors are exploiting his stutter. The list goes on, I'm sure.

« Last Edit: Fri, 19 February 2021, 23:01:41 by korrelate »

Topre REALFORCE

Offline korrelate

« Reply #999 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 23:38:44 »
One more....

This is an old Frank Capra expository cartoon about blood (blood cells) called "Hemo the Magnificent."

If you can get past the blend of live action and cartoon this is just about some of the best pedagogy you'll ever see&hear and turns out to be quite informative:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xed7f

Topre REALFORCE