Author Topic: Mechanic 10 keyless with flat profile.  (Read 2947 times)

Offline nimrod01

Mechanic 10 keyless with flat profile.
« on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 12:52:58 »
My Kinesis Advantage recently died and I've been hesitant to replace it as 1) I'm not sure if it really helps with my sore wrists which seem to be more mousing related, and 2) as I've recently started using IDEs more then function keys are matter more.  Anyways, post-death I pulled out an older Kinesis Freestyle.  While the separation is cool, I just can't get used to the keys.  A little too mushy.

So I was wondering around a local computer store the other day and bought this keyboard that had some heft to it, as well as keys with a decent feel - the Razer Black Widow Tournament (even though I'm not a gamer).  So far its alright, but its a got a tilt toward which I don't like.  At the last the Kinesis Freestyle can be completely flat.

Can I find something like this that has a flat to the desk profile?  I find it hard to tell from the pictures, and there are no places around here to see many keyboards I'm person.  I'm thinking I'd like to get a CODE keyboard, but depending on the slant, it could be a deal break.

I know I could prop up the front, but I'd rather start with something flat then adjust from there.

Thanks!

Oh, are split keyboard really that much better?  I'm not convinced that they are for me, but only time will tell I suppose.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: Mechanic 10 keyless with flat profile.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 15:13:12 »
AFAIK, all the traditional style boards have a slight positive tilt to them. Many have quite a massive positive angle with the feet extended... yuck.

Another problem is almost all the standard keycap profiles are also slanted away from the user, so if you lay a board flat or tilt it away from you, the keys feel weird. Full contour SA profile is the only one I know of that works really well on flat / very slight tilt boards.

I think you're going to have to either mod the case of a board or place something under the front.

The Code is a good board with nice switch choices.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 15:15:57 »
AFAIK, all the traditional style boards have a slight positive tilt to them. Many have quite a massive positive angle with the feet extended... yuck.

Another problem is almost all the standard keycap profiles are also slanted away from the user, so if you lay a board flat or tilt it away from you, the keys feel weird. Full contour SA profile is the only one I know of that works really well on flat / very slight tilt boards.

I think you're going to have to either mod the case of a board or place something under the front.

The Code is a good board with nice switch choices.

This, DSA profile also works.  Though DSA is totally flat, and with SA there have been buys with either full contour or all row 3.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 15:38:51 »
I don't know of any tenkeyless keyboard that is totally horizontal. I agree and also want mine horizontal.

Is the Razer BlackWidow Tournament's tilt really that acute compared to other keyboards?
You should avoid Ducky, as I think that theirs tilt more than average.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 15:40:19 »
I don't know of any tenkeyless keyboard that is totally horizontal. I agree and also want mine horizontal.

Is the Razer BlackWidow Tournament's tilt really that acute compared to other keyboards?
You should avoid Ducky, as I think that theirs tilt more than average.

Probably going to have to go with a custom build like a Phantom in a layered or JD40 style case.

Gon might have a TKL, his are flat profile without the feet.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 00:31:04 »
For me, a split keyboard is much more comfortable. Having that separation just feels like I am in a more relaxed position.

Does anybody know the angle of the Matias Ergo Pro? The pictures I'm looking at have some sort of scooping on the side of the case, so I can't tell if it flat + sculpted keys or if the base is curved as well.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 03:08:32 »

Gon might have a TKL, his are flat profile without the feet.

Well, yes, there's the GON NerD TKL which is flat if you use it without adding the feet. It's a very expensive option, but it's a custom and a very nice keyboard. There may be some other custom TKL cases out there that are flat.

You could make your own case for a TKL board also....
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline qihqi

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 13:30:25 »
I have seen some paddings added to the bottom of microsoft ergonomic keyboard to make it completely flat or even with negative tilt.
Similarly you can probably mod the case by adding rubber feet to the bottom row to make the keyboard flat.

I think Ergodox is also flat.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 13:57:54 »
I have seen some paddings added to the bottom of microsoft ergonomic keyboard to make it completely flat or even with negative tilt.
Similarly you can probably mod the case by adding rubber feet to the bottom row to make the keyboard flat.

you don't want flat.. flat has always been the problem.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 14:13:18 »

This, DSA profile also works.  Though DSA is totally flat, and with SA there have been buys with either full contour or all row 3.

YMMV, but I find regular cherry/DCS/Alps/etc. profiles work just fine with a standard keyboard propped up in front so the plate/pcb has a  -5° tilt.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2015, 14:15:02 by jacobolus »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 04:56:19 »

YMMV, but I find regular cherry/DCS/Alps/etc. profiles work just fine with a standard keyboard propped up in front so the plate/pcb has a  -5° tilt.

Well yes, they work, but they're far from optimal, IMHO. IME, it's not so nice to type on a flat board when the keycaps are all angled away from you.

Many people find DSA awkward to type on, though. I think it has something to do with the small keytops and spacing between keytop edges.

you don't want flat.. flat has always been the problem.

Although I agree with you that a tented, split, staggered column board is better, this thread is about standard layout boards and the angle we're talking about is NOT tenting angle. In this case, yes, flat is better.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.