Author Topic: My Costco just got dat Beyond Meat.  (Read 3379 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
My Costco just got dat Beyond Meat.
« on: Sun, 22 December 2019, 10:43:45 »

Doin' Croissant burgers ..

Got dat wawa croissant,  it's not actually very croissant like at all, but it makes a GREAT burger bun..

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: My Costco just got dat Beyond Meat.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 December 2019, 16:07:30 »
I'm cooking up some Beyond Burgers today! I have them defrosted and plan on serving them over rice (I have no bread and I aint goin out today!)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 December 2019, 19:55:31 »
Show Image

Doin' Croissant burgers ..

Got dat wawa croissant,  it's not actually not very croissant like at all, but it makes a GREAT burger bun..

Costco chicken can be eaten with the hand, in fact EATING IT RAW is the best to eat them

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 December 2019, 09:22:25 »
I'm cooking up some Beyond Burgers today! I have them defrosted and plan on serving them over rice (I have no bread and I aint goin out today!)

The smell is very very close. In fact, I like it a bit better than the real Beef-stink because it's a bit milder.

Tink' if Tp4 were eating quickly, and not critiqn' the food, prolly wouldn't even notice.

Tried cooking it 2 ways,  from frozen, and defrosted.

Defrosted it browns quicker, from frozen, I left the cap on and then took it off to let it sear better.   Seems to work out about the same, it doesn't turn-Tuff or anything like normal beef would.

Offline yuppie

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 December 2019, 10:48:29 »
I've had impossible or beayond meat burgers a couple times now and they're not bad at all. If they were more readily available, I could see myself opting for that meat more often than not.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 December 2019, 22:34:49 »
So finally I tried it, and really it was OK but not a good meat substitute. It certainly does not taste or have the texture of meat at all. When cooked it develops this seared crust, which is actually good and I enjoy the crispiness it gets on the outside but real meat doesn't do that. I assume the crisp is directly related to what allows the substance to get grill marks. The consistency is way too chunky and for me the biggest failing of this product, when 'raw' having the texture of wet cat food, and when cooked almost having the texture of a quinoa patty or seared jackfruit. And honestly it just tastes like a milder  or more refined Boca Burger in the end, it has that same 'flavored soy' taste if ya know what I mean. It's not bad tasting, and holds it's form really well like meat does when cooked. But overall I'm not impressed on the front of it being a meat sub which is the main point of the product, it has failed on all fronts except that you can cook it exactly the same. I prepped them as I would a regular beef patty seasoned w/ salt+pepper and cooked in a buttered skillet. The cooking time and flip theory remains the same for consistency. Everything else (arguably everything that matters) falls short. If you served this to someone expecting beef they would know immediately something was up with the meat.

Couldn't make burgers cause no bread, so I served it over coconut rice with melted provolone and hatch chili ketchup. It was OK.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 December 2019, 22:36:23 by noisyturtle »

Offline snozberries

• Aww yiss!
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 09:30:47 »
I've been a fan of the Beyond Burgers, but their Hot Sausages are amazing to BBQ. Have you tried the Impossible Burger?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 09:50:17 »
I've been a fan of the Beyond Burgers, but their Hot Sausages are amazing to BBQ. Have you tried the Impossible Burger?

Have tried the impossible burger, IMO, the beyond is Thicc-er and more coherent piece of "kit", the Imposs is more flake like.

In terms of taste, they're both very good, can't say I miss beef at all.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 10:26:12 »
Cool. I haven't tried beyond meat, but would like to one day.

Impossible Burgers are pretty good. The Burger King variant is OK, but the kind they have at Bar Louie is freaking amazing. It's better than a regular burger, even.

Offline Myteethfeelweird

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 11 January 2020, 21:27:09 »
Yeah Impossible is rather crumbly. Sad to hear that Beyond is a bit different texture. Impossible cheeseburgers at Hopdoddy really do the trick for me.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 07:45:23 »
So finally I tried it, and really it was OK but not a good meat substitute. It certainly does not taste or have the texture of meat at all. When cooked it develops this seared crust, which is actually good and I enjoy the crispiness it gets on the outside but real meat doesn't do that. I assume the crisp is directly related to what allows the substance to get grill marks. The consistency is way too chunky and for me the biggest failing of this product, when 'raw' having the texture of wet cat food, and when cooked almost having the texture of a quinoa patty or seared jackfruit. And honestly it just tastes like a milder  or more refined Boca Burger in the end, it has that same 'flavored soy' taste if ya know what I mean. It's not bad tasting, and holds it's form really well like meat does when cooked. But overall I'm not impressed on the front of it being a meat sub which is the main point of the product, it has failed on all fronts except that you can cook it exactly the same. I prepped them as I would a regular beef patty seasoned w/ salt+pepper and cooked in a buttered skillet. The cooking time and flip theory remains the same for consistency. Everything else (arguably everything that matters) falls short. If you served this to someone expecting beef they would know immediately something was up with the meat.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Couldn't make burgers cause no bread, so I served it over coconut rice with melted provolone and hatch chili ketchup. It was OK.

😬