Author Topic: Almost Died in a Fire  (Read 2896 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Almost Died in a Fire
« on: Sat, 15 April 2023, 15:30:16 »
Tp4 charge ifone, download photos, unplug, 5 minutes later, smelled smoke, thought it might be summer bbq, but windows were closed and it was raining outside, 

Turned computer chair around, looked down,  a String of White Smoke erupting from a deadly apple product wafting in the air reaching all the way to the ceiling.

Lessons:

- Charging cables are a fire hazard.

- This is an official 1st party ifone lightning cable, only 3 feet long.

- Don't ever try to save a buck on cables

- If they're even slightly damaged, just buy a new one.

Your floor, carpet, House, LIFE is worth more than whatever it costs.
Damn you apple, I will continue to only buy your stupidly overpriced cables.

298353-0

298355-1

298357-2

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
Re: Almost Died in a Fire
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 April 2023, 20:08:17 »
Are you sure this isn't a sign from the heavens to stop using apple products?
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 15 April 2023, 20:19:45 »

stop using apple products

Haven't most people known this for decades?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 April 2023, 21:31:37 »

can't ... leave... bought so many apps... i'm , it's tooo strogn... hnnnghh.....

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 April 2023, 22:17:09 »
Sitting here with my Pixel 6 Pro completely happy with my USB-C/Wireless charging

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 April 2023, 09:48:14 »
I was just about to say this, a whole list of takeaways and NONE about how he shouldn't ever use apple products again >.> .0
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 16 April 2023, 10:07:32 »

can't ... leave... bought so many apps... i'm , it's tooo strogn... hnnnghh.....

Show Image

Hate to be this guy but, sunken cost fallacy.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 16 April 2023, 10:20:51 »
Probably depends on region, but no one in my family and no one I have associated with in the past 10 years has anything other than iPhones.  I asked my son if he ever saw non-Apple devices around his friends.  Absolutely not. Apple isn't going anywhere and a cord melting won't change that.  The only people in this part of the US that have something other than iPhone are elderly and the same guys who pimp out their computer setups with Turtle Beach headphones and racing chairs. 

Truthfully, the only other phones I've seen in at least a decade are on MKBHD reviews or LTT doing benchmarks.

Hopefully it won't be an issue for much longer with everything moving to wireless charging eventually.  At least I've never heard of a wireless charger cord catching fire.. yet  :eek:

Anyway... glad you didnt burn up and die, TP
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 April 2023, 10:25:19 by pixelpusher »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 16 April 2023, 10:32:20 »
the problem with android right now is battery life, and slowing down to a crawl if you don't reset every few years.

they need a tighter cpu and os integration.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 16 April 2023, 10:46:40 »
Also, I forgot to comment on how amazing the human sense of smell is.  See, it saved you from a fire.  I've told my family several times, if they smell something off, let someone know.  Our noses are pretty good, even if not on par with our feline and canine friends.  My nose has found a melting wall plug (smells like cat piss btw) caused by a loose wire at the junction, and a broken ice maker line (smelled mold that was growing under the floor behind the fridge).  👃 the nose knows

The downside to this rule in my home is that my teenage son takes it pretty seriously.  So if I'm cooking and he's upstairs, he'll often come running down and say "I smell something burning!"  Oh well.  Better safe than sorry

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 16 April 2023, 11:00:58 »
Lesson: don't buy anymore i****.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 16 April 2023, 11:18:50 »

I asked my son if he ever saw non-Apple devices around his friends.

My kids are in their 20s now, but they got phones areound 2010 and we always got them Androids. Every couple of years we would get a new contract and upgrade the phones. (They and I were on one contract but my ex-wife was always an Apple minion.)

I would talk to them about the high school cell phone scene and the majority of their friends had Android phones and they, at least, preferred them to Apple. This was in a "nice" suburb of the Atlanta area.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 16 April 2023, 12:32:27 »
Don't ever try to save a buck on cables
Hard disagree.
A cable that meets spec is a cable that meets spec, doesn't matter if it costs $1 or $1000.

That said, it's well known in I.T. that Apple cables are junk.
Particularly, but not exclusive to Lightning, are known to be absolute dog sh*t. Almost all are known to break at the strain relief if not the cord itself. It kills me when an Apple laptop charger is easily $80+ and lasts a few years but a $10 Ebay purchased generic Lenovo replacement will go 10+ years and be perfectly fine.

Go look up broken Apple cables, they're just trash. This was on Reddit just the other day and while extreme it's far from abnormal.  (btw, magnetic cables all the way....)
298397-0
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 16 April 2023, 15:00:00 »
Hard disagree.
A cable that meets spec is a cable that meets spec, doesn't matter if it costs $1 or $1000.

The money is pretty close to a prayer, i agree, but we don't really know for certain if apple's failure rate is higher or lower,  they are likely as the first party the most present cables / bundled or other wise, so one can see how the reports can skew, by people who paid more, who are more outraged,  but also because there are more users out there.

But let's look at motivation, they have a managed supply chain and an interest "even if minimal" to keep things from catching on fire.

whereas these other brands/ manufacturers are out for the quick buck, they might give you the full gauge, but then save the fractions of a penny on termination, and that's where it goes poof. 

WHO ELSE really, can Tp4 give more money to mitigate risk ?

99% of a cable's lifespan is unmanaged,  Tp4 was LUCKY to escape a fire-y inferno on this 1 cable.  but most other cables around the house are not visible ever.  No amount of monitoring could've caught this.

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 16 April 2023, 15:57:44 »
really these cables are trash as an android person i had countless cables but really only 1-2 broke but i also use micro-usb (no money to upgrade) so that's a reason too but none broke like that trash iphone cables i have seen many broken ones
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 16 April 2023, 19:56:47 »

magnetic cables all the way

100%

I started using them about 5years ago and that is the only way to go. I have about 4 cables (desk, car, office, laptop) and simply buy a new socket tip for every device.

No need to worry, the same cables drive them all. And you can plug and unplug them with one hand, even in the dark or out of sight. Not to mention that they are fully breakaway so not even a chance for damage.

But they will need to be cleaned occasionally because they do find scraps and crumbs of iron from time to time ....

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 16 April 2023, 22:19:39 »
The money is pretty close to a prayer, i agree, but we don't really know for certain if apple's failure rate is higher or lower,  they are likely as the first party the most present cables / bundled or other wise, so one can see how the reports can skew, by people who paid more, who are more outraged,  but also because there are more users out there.

But let's look at motivation, they have a managed supply chain and an interest "even if minimal" to keep things from catching on fire.
Apple failure rate being higher? On Lightning, absolutely. I've seen soo darn many complaints.
One reason they're bad is the same reason micro B is bad, it was designed to fail rather than damage the port. I can easily forgive that, but Apple didn't put a proper strain relief and uses "premium feel" coatings which crack and peel. Combine the two and you wind up with a cable that has a horrible lifespan. If it's not tugging the port it's tugging the cable across the relief and you wind up with exactly with what you got. They also suffer from "black middle pin" phenomena, an electrical arc goes across the pins and burns them out. Same for older Macbook cables, just garbage to the extent there's a HUGE aftermarket just for cords.

Yours failed pretty much the same way as everyone else's just in a bit more dramatic fashion, they usually just stop charging and Apple people being Apple people shrug and go buy another. My first Macbook charger tried to do the same and it was Magsafe 2, it's just that the cords are garbage.

All my Apple stuff (Ipads only at this point) are on magnetic usb, I won't fool around with those delicate piles of garbage anymore. Plus, I can use one cord for everything, instead of a dedicated one just for one stupid device because the company wants to keep making money off the cables.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion