Author Topic: Green Tea  (Read 3138 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Green Tea
« on: Sun, 16 April 2023, 20:16:43 »
Is it actually healthy,

Seeeeeeems... like something any company would say about their "addicting" product which happens to contain caffeine,  MEANWHILE, they also fund research to breed tea strains with higher concentrations of caffeine.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: Green Tea
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 April 2023, 21:17:11 »
Well there is 100s of years of science-based evidence that this 0 calorie drink w/ 1/4 the amount of caffeine of coffee.

If caffeine content is your main concern, stick to Hojicha variety.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 April 2023, 01:07:27 »
Brewed green tea contains more caffeine than black tea, and matcha contains more caffeine than brewed green tea or coffee, so beware.
Both coffee and green tea contain various antioxidants. (that is what I use as justification for drinking them anyway)

Offline butre

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 April 2023, 02:54:40 »
yeah caffeine is super addictive, I say, while sucking down a lucky strike and eating a snack cake full of corn syrup

there's no correlation between tea consumption and shorter lifespan, Japanese people wouldn't be living to 120 if there was.  who cares if it's addictive if it doesn't hurt you

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 April 2023, 03:11:56 »
yeah caffeine is super addictive, I say, while sucking down a lucky strike and eating a snack cake full of corn syrup

there's no correlation between tea consumption and shorter lifespan, Japanese people wouldn't be living to 120 if there was.  who cares if it's addictive if it doesn't hurt you

Short take butre,

Tp4 is at the age where he's struggling with the distortion that a life of hedonism creates.

"Ramen" a major culinary disruptor (something else Tp4 has abstained and relapsed from).

Ramen's superior taste is not so harmless, because it greatly wins over the naturally "Bland" desire for healthier options.

If one eat hyperpalatables often enough, chips, fried foods, cake, etc, the brain starts to "need" all food to taste, LIKE THAT.  70% muricans are overweight, 43% super-duper overweight. This is an endemic distortion of life function.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 17 April 2023, 05:22:47 »
Addiction itself is not necessarily a bad thing. Hot take perhaps, but consider that you're also very addicted to oxygen — and oxygen is actually toxic to you. Tea (and even coffee) aren't very bad addictions to have. The energy boost does transform into a "not energy drain" over time, though.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 April 2023, 06:22:03 »
you're also very addicted to oxygen
Really?
Please explain.

Because it reminds me of reasoning that a drug-addict would use to justify their drug use. I have heard something very similar.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 April 2023, 08:41:55 »
Addiction itself is not necessarily a bad thing. Hot take perhaps, but consider that you're also very addicted to oxygen — and oxygen is actually toxic to you. Tea (and even coffee) aren't very bad addictions to have. The energy boost does transform into a "not energy drain" over time, though.

there's a difference between the Distortion effects of dopaminergic compound vs  a physiological need for oxygen.

dopamine disregulation breaks down the Core system (perception) of wants and needs.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 April 2023, 09:50:01 »
Really?
Please explain.

Because it reminds me of reasoning that a drug-addict would use to justify their drug use. I have heard something very similar.
You're physically and physiologically addicted to it to such a degree that you couldn't hold your breath to starve yourself of it even if you tried to. Your body will go into major revolt when you're lacking it and the need to breathe is one of the most primal instincts you possess. Your body even dedicated part of your brain to make sure you do it subconsciously so that you do it even if you're not thinking of it.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 April 2023, 10:28:05 »

you do it subconsciously

I think you are pushing a reductio ad absurdum argument with this.

It seems to me that the concept of "addiction" has both physical and psychological components, and carries an implicit understanding that the majority of people can generally avoid or escape it altogether. And/or that there is at least the potential to break free from it after it has taken hold.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 17 April 2023, 11:05:27 »
Really?
Please explain.

You're physically and physiologically addicted to it to such a degree that you couldn't hold your breath to starve yourself of it even if you tried to. Your body will go into major revolt when you're lacking it and the need to breathe is one of the most primal instincts you possess. Your body even dedicated part of your brain to make sure you do it subconsciously so that you do it even if you're not thinking of it.

This is also not entirely true.

Taken to extremes, like Heroin / Meth / Fent,  the Desire for the high (to the point of OD) exceeds that of LIVING or Breathing.

The distinction is dis-regulation,  Oxygen is part of normal regulation. 

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 17 April 2023, 11:38:26 »
Really?
Please explain.

This is also not entirely true.

Taken to extremes, like Heroin / Meth / Fent,  the Desire for the high (to the point of OD) exceeds that of LIVING or Breathing.

The distinction is dis-regulation,  Oxygen is part of normal regulation. 

you do it subconsciously

I think you are pushing a reductio ad absurdum argument with this.

It seems to me that the concept of "addiction" has both physical and psychological components, and carries an implicit understanding that the majority of people can generally avoid or escape it altogether. And/or that there is at least the potential to break free from it after it has taken hold.
Maybe it's a matter of definition, or semantics. To me, the notion of an addiction is not inherently evil or bad, depending on how much and what kind of impact it has on your life and health.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 17 April 2023, 11:44:22 »
Maybe it's a matter of definition, or semantics. To me, the notion of an addiction is not inherently evil or bad, depending on how much and what kind of impact it has on your life and health.

Clearly it's a semantics problem if one includes a substance which sustains life as part of "addiction"

We have a hedonic loop in the physical brain,  the dis-regulation of which is addiction. This is apart from simply "having" a hedonic loop.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 17 April 2023, 15:26:41 »

Clearly it's a semantics problem if one includes a substance which sustains life as part of "addiction"

Yeah, see, I'd call that an addiction too, just one with extreme dependence.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 17 April 2023, 17:24:48 »
Explain to me how my 2 cups of coffee in the morning is bad for me. The only info I can find says coffee is healthy for you.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 17 April 2023, 17:33:04 »
Coffee is generally quite benign for most people.

I recommend Michael Pollan's book This Is Your Mind on Plants.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/56015023-this-is-your-mind-on-plants
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 17 April 2023, 18:01:04 »
Explain to me how my 2 cups of coffee in the morning is bad for me. The only info I can find says coffee is healthy for you.

because the dopaminergic effects are as strong as tobacco. large quantities of caffeine distorts your PERSPECTIVE.  it also similarly in the long term produces an addict's brain, with reduced pre-frontal brain activity (long term planning, executive functions). the parts are still there, but they're not running at full power.

very few sources of information that isn't an advertisement or study published by the coffee/ soda industry says caffeine is good for you.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 17 April 2023, 21:51:54 »
i'm also really conscious about my caffeine consumption. Green tea is about as far as I go in my normal routine, but I think it's mostly beneficial for me. I'll try to limit myself to only having a can of green tea around twice a week, usually after lunch to beat the food coma. The antioxidants in green tea, the fact that it's zero cals, tastes great, and most importantly it helps break down a fatty meal at lunch, which also reduces food coma. Don't love that it contains caffeine but it's not the worse evil in the world. I'm sure that my poor sleep schedule definitely affects my health more than mild caffeine consumption.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 18 April 2023, 04:10:53 »
Coffee is generally quite benign for most people.

I recommend Michael Pollan's book This Is Your Mind on Plants.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/56015023-this-is-your-mind-on-plants
Somewhat off-topic (as it doesn't include caffeine) but along the same vein, the 2022 miniseries How to Change Your Mind based on another book by Pollan is also quite interesting. 

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 18 April 2023, 07:59:00 »

the 2022 miniseries How to Change Your Mind based on another book by Pollan

You should read the whole book. The miniseries left out a lot and changed the tone and focus of the book.