Author Topic: Matress shopping = NIGHTMARE  (Read 2509 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Matress shopping = NIGHTMARE
« on: Sat, 29 April 2023, 12:32:34 »

Reviews:

- It's firm

- It's totally not firm

- Dog doodle

- Ffff this company, they can go eat a

- LIES LIES LIES

- I'm only 250lb , this mattress should hold up, it did not, Ffff Costco

- I'm only 130lb, this mattress isn't firm

- My side is ok, My husband's side is already caving and he's only 160lbs

- 2 Month = Fail

- 6 Month = Fail

- 1 Week = Fail

- Pillow top too soft

- Speed bumps.

- Back Pain

- My life is over because of this mattress

- I got fired from my job, and my girlfriend left me

- Bad for secs

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Matress shopping = NIGHTMARE
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 29 April 2023, 12:56:20 »

Pillow top

Pillow tops are abomination.
Memory foam is the worst of the worst.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 29 April 2023, 14:46:09 »
It amazes me that after all human history we still can't make a good mattress, much less affordable or long lasting.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 April 2023, 15:13:38 »
It's actually really easy, and pretty important considering you spend about 1/3rd of your life on it.

Big? Go firmer. Small? Go softer.
Foam vs Spring is 100% personal comfort choice, there is no one correct answer
Pillow tops only add a layer of cushioning between you and the mattress, they do not affect the firmness of the mattress.
A good mattress should last you at minimum a decade
Almost every company provides a 60day-6month return policy, so there's no real pressure other than the time it takes to return.
Broke? Go to a storefront. They will move mountains to finance you and get that sale, they are desperate.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 29 April 2023, 19:35:04 »
It amazes me that after all human history we still can't make a good mattress, much less affordable or long lasting.
Speak for yourself. I have a Bob-O-Pedic (Bob's discount furniture house brand Temperpedic) that I stole from my parents back in middle school and that thing is still one of the best beds I've slept on right now as I'm finishing my sophomore year of college.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 29 April 2023, 19:36:28 »
Once again, speak for yourself. My bed is memory foam and it is so ****ing comfortable. Bad for ****ing on tho.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 29 April 2023, 20:02:05 »
Also if you are spending $500 or less on your mattress, do expect it to be a piece of ****.

If you are that cheap just get a Tatami or futon at that point. You won't be comfortable, but your back won't hurt.

Offline Timbersawdust

• aka snorlax
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 29 April 2023, 21:00:14 »
You forgot to mention the overly aggressive salespersons at mattress stores! They are so fun  ;D

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 30 April 2023, 00:14:13 »

Pillow top

Pillow tops are abomination.

Speaking from many years in the industry... Pillow top mattresses (with a few exceptions) have an inherent flaw in their design that makes them not optimal. I usually advise people to avoid them.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 30 April 2023, 03:55:54 »
Also if you are spending $500 or less on your mattress, do expect it to be a piece of ****.
And that's the part that pisses me off the most, most of them are insanely over priced for the materials and workmanship. Blah blah overhead... Find a better way.
Mattress stores remind me just a little too much of used car dealers "Come on in, I'll make you a deal!"

The fact that things are always on sale and always willing to wheel and deal is a blazing red flag that something is overpriced.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 30 April 2023, 06:18:59 »
And that's the part that pisses me off the most, most of them are insanely over priced for the materials and workmanship. Blah blah overhead... Find a better way.
Mattress stores remind me just a little too much of used car dealers "Come on in, I'll make you a deal!"

The fact that things are always on sale and always willing to wheel and deal is a blazing red flag that something is overpriced.

Also pianos. Wayyyyy overpriced.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 01 May 2023, 07:53:37 »
Still happy w/ my Serta Memory Foam mattresses, went from a $500-$800 mattress to that and it was a huge difference.  Mattress shopping is a PITA and they always want to upsell you beyond your means/needs.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 02 May 2023, 03:32:04 »
I don't even know what kind of mattress I have tbh, but it's great. Incidentally, the ones in hotels are always ROCK ****ING HARD, you wake up with a broken body.
Check my keyboard video reviews: