Author Topic: Air Popper ?  (Read 1868 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Air Popper ?
« on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 13:13:44 »
Am thinking about getting one of these for --healthier-- pop corn.

But, it seems to have alot of plastic parts in / around the hot side..

and hot+ plastic = CANCER..

thoughts ?

Offline HotRoderX

Re: Air Popper ?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 13:16:07 »
Hmm I don't know seems like everything equal's cancer now day's. I am pretty sure just breathing non filtered air is dangerous "shrug's" I vote just go for it. Life is short as is and can only be extended so far. Then there no promises it won't still be short so why not just enjoy why you can.

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 14:15:00 »
Are you planning on forgoing the seasoning as well?

Offline JP

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 07:58:24 »
Another trick is to use those little paper pop corn bags and use a microwave. Just back sure the seal the bag by folding the opening shut and pay close attention since it is so easy to burn the popcorn with this method.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 09:57:27 »
The risk of popcorn getting cancer from hot plastic is highly exaggerated.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 11:48:12 »
Another trick is to use those little paper pop corn bags and use a microwave. Just back sure the seal the bag by folding the opening shut and pay close attention since it is so easy to burn the popcorn with this method.

saws this on the utub..   But the issue here is.. The chemicals used to make and bleach paper is -not so innocent-..  and since brown paper bags are often made with recycled paper, it's perhaps doubly carcinogenic ??

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 11:49:54 »
The risk of popcorn getting cancer from hot plastic is highly exaggerated.

Well, heres the thing..

Plastic when -heated- releases their oils.  This is the same reason why the back of our car windshields get oily over time as the sun hits the plastic dashboard.

Because plastic is in Direct path of the hot air popper,  the oil fumes released from the plastic would be directly deposited as exhaust onto the popcorns no ?

The popped corn surface makes for perfect adhesion/deposition of the plastic oil fumes.. it's highly porous like a sponge.

Offline JP

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 14:13:38 »
Buy a commercial grade popcorn maker then? Not really economical. Not just what to recommend to be honest. Ignorance is bliss. Heck even the popcorn itself could be tainted through the use of fertilizers and pesticides. Also the corn likely was genetically modified which always means it's bad, right? Heck I know I've been involuntarily exposed to asbestos (someone grinding / cutting asbestos siding) so at best I'm only good for another 40 years before that lung cancer gets me or whatever cancer that runs in the family so I figure I am screwed either way.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 14:31:05 »
Buy a commercial grade popcorn maker then? Not really economical. Not just what to recommend to be honest. Ignorance is bliss. Heck even the popcorn itself could be tainted through the use of fertilizers and pesticides. Also the corn likely was genetically modified which always means it's bad, right? Heck I know I've been involuntarily exposed to asbestos (someone grinding / cutting asbestos siding) so at best I'm only good for another 40 years before that lung cancer gets me or whatever cancer that runs in the family so I figure I am screwed either way.

Well, I concur the hotdogs, steaks, and aesbestos will give us cancer long before popcorn maker does..

But,  it still stands that , if it were avoidable..

hrrrm.. perhaps I could build an aluminum enclosure for the popcorn maker.. although this would be quite difficult to clean.. because oil stains aluminum.