Author Topic: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)  (Read 4196739 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)
« Reply #29500 on: Mon, 25 July 2022, 20:47:32 »
Steamdeck is so kewl, but the screen suck so hard Tp4 can't bring himself to buy one..

waiting for steamdek 2.

Show Image

https://www.ayaneo.com/article/203
This one has an OLED screen. I bet Valve does a v2 in a few years though.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29501 on: Tue, 26 July 2022, 05:32:29 »
Nice!  Reading around they're also supposedly looking at Linux with more than just Steam which would really make it a viable option.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #29502 on: Tue, 26 July 2022, 08:11:51 »
Steamdeck is so kewl, but the screen suck so hard Tp4 can't bring himself to buy one..

waiting for steamdek 2.

Show Image

have gotten burned when younger by off brand devices,  they quit support and go out of business.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29503 on: Tue, 26 July 2022, 16:36:32 »

GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29504 on: Thu, 28 July 2022, 06:31:21 »
Applied for an entry level job, got interviewed in a timely manner and told more interviews the next day, "probably find out lunchtime the day after".  Sounds good.  Lunchtime 2 days later I call to see what's going on and am told they haven't managed to meet and discuss yet, will call in the morning.  It's now 12:30pm and still no call.  I want to call them and rant about ineptitude and honesty but I also want the job :mad:
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29505 on: Thu, 28 July 2022, 08:19:36 »

rant about ineptitude and honesty but I also want the job

A few years ago I interviewed for a job (at least twice) for which I was absolutely the perfect candidate in every way, plus several lengthy phone conversations. And it was mostly commission pay for which there is very little risk to the employer.

They strung me along for over 2 months and finally had me take an online "psychological assessment" after which they told me that I would not be "a good fit" ....

A couple of years later I was working at another place and we hired an employee from the company that I had applied to. After a few weeks of casual conversations, I suddenly recognized why I didn't get the job. He told me that one of the owners was a good friend of someone that I had worked with a decade earlier (actually for many years ending a decade earlier). Long story short this bastard had left our (small-ish) company in a very damaging and cruel way (including wiping the primary construction computer (rarely backed up, as in most companies) and deleting executive email accounts) to start his own business in direct competition with us. He knew that I hated him and there is no doubt that it was he who torpedoed my application.

TL;DR - hiring is a difficult decision-making process, and most managers do it with great trepidation
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29506 on: Thu, 28 July 2022, 08:58:15 »
They strung me along for over 2 months
hiring is a difficult decision-making process, and most managers do it with great trepidation
That sucks, at least it's easier to check things like that in the internet age.  Hopefully you had more sense than to leave your old job before applying, and didn't have leave booked in a couple of weeks.

I've never been involved in this industry so I'm not on a blacklist and if any of the other candidates had relevant experience they would top the list and it would be an easy decision.  I interview way too honestly so if they like that I'm a standout candidate and if they don't they have no reason to string me along.  More annoying than the prolonged wait is the lies - if you say you're going to call you call whether you have an answer or not, takes less than a minute to apologise..  Wouldn't help in this case but it would stop me potentially trashing them on the job listing site, where the vacancy is still advertised with a start date in the past.

Needless to say I'm still waiting, as the end of their last working day of the week draws near.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29507 on: Thu, 28 July 2022, 09:56:08 »

if you say you're going to call you call whether you have an answer or not

There is a principle in sales that the worst thing that a prospect can say is "maybe"

- "yes" is an answer and "no" is an answer, and that is what you need - a clear answer from the decision-maker

The word "maybe" may sound softer than "no" but it actually creates only frustration.

And there is this as well :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_phobia
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29508 on: Thu, 28 July 2022, 10:20:20 »
The word "maybe" may sound softer than "no" but it actually creates only frustration.

Maybe is indeed frustrating, but silence is frustrating and invokes anger.

I have half phone phobia - I'm fine answering and I'm fine if someone's expecting my call or is being paid to accept random calls but whenever there's the slightest hint that the only reason for the call is that I'm being impatient and will annoy someone it's terrible.  I wanted to call at 12:30 when I posted and I've had my phone in my hand the whole time since (aside from while eating lunch) and have only just managed to make the call just after 4.  Didn't speak to the right person, she's "in a meeting"

Meeting over, she's still not managed to discuss it with the manager who's not in next week so although she likes me and my chances are good if I get an offer elsewhere I should take it :confused: 
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #29509 on: Fri, 29 July 2022, 03:03:48 »

Maybe is indeed frustrating, but silence is frustrating and invokes anger.

I have half phone phobia - I'm fine answering and I'm fine if someone's expecting my call or is being paid to accept random calls but whenever there's the slightest hint that the only reason for the call is that I'm being impatient and will annoy someone it's terrible.  I wanted to call at 12:30 when I posted and I've had my phone in my hand the whole time since (aside from while eating lunch) and have only just managed to make the call just after 4.  Didn't speak to the right person, she's "in a meeting"

Meeting over, she's still not managed to discuss it with the manager who's not in next week so although she likes me and my chances are good if I get an offer elsewhere I should take it :confused:

I think I have a full phone phobia - I'm affraid of taking calls. Hate it. I cannot explain why I feel it and what I actually feel.
When I have to call somewhere I'm starting to panic... well, little panic, not like climbing walls...
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29510 on: Sun, 31 July 2022, 15:48:58 »
NE1 notice gekha is super slow when posting ? whuddup with that.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29511 on: Sun, 31 July 2022, 18:56:46 »
This cancelled credit card has been charging me monthly fees for interest that is the same amount I have been putting in each month to pay it down. So essentially I have been throwing away $40 a month for the last 1.5 years just to keep the card at the same owed amount.
Now I am going to stop making payments on it altogether, since they want to be *******s and I have made zero progress paying it off apparently. Just imagine the rage when I discovered the entire amount I put in every month is exactly the amount they charge each monthly in fees? Utterly pointless.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29512 on: Sun, 31 July 2022, 20:01:34 »

the entire amount I put in every month is exactly the amount they charge each monthly in fees

That is the standard game.

Pay the minimum each month and it never goes away.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29513 on: Sun, 31 July 2022, 21:02:09 »

the entire amount I put in every month is exactly the amount they charge each monthly in fees

That is the standard game.

Pay the minimum each month and it never goes away.

nt, how could you not know how credit cards work ? i recall you worked in games, behind every game is a cookie clicker and a database table, all systems of accounting works on the same principles modeling opportunity cost.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29514 on: Mon, 01 August 2022, 07:54:20 »

Utterly pointless.

Don't be ridiculous, it is a pure and efficient cash cow.

If you don't appreciate being milked, neither does anyone else. That is why the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) was created (THANK YOU! Elizabeth Warren) and why the Radical Right has been so desperate to eliminate it from the beginning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Financial_Protection_Bureau
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 August 2022, 07:55:54 by fohat.digs »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29515 on: Wed, 03 August 2022, 12:30:47 »
Fired up my old phone to see if I could get the app for the festival I'm at next week - Lineage based on Android 7.  Found a .apk on a site I'd never heard of, loaded it, ran it and despite the message saying it wont work without google spy services it appears to work just fine.  Activating developer mode in a not unusual manner reveals a full line up with times which is not supposed to be released 'til Monday.

Not sure the app's even real, not sure if I should share my findings or method used to find them...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline iri

« Reply #29516 on: Thu, 04 August 2022, 15:38:00 »
Activating developer mode in a not unusual manner reveals a full line up with times which is not supposed to be released 'til Monday.
😂😂😂😂😂

suicidal_orange coolhaxx0r
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29517 on: Thu, 04 August 2022, 15:59:46 »
suicidal_orange coolhaxx0r
You expected otherwise ;D

I got someone else to test it and they can't see the times, though the method to get debug did work.  So either I have an old version and they've "fixed" it in an update or someone made an elaborate hoax that there was a good chance no-one would find, and they almost certainly don't know that I have (unless they installed a call home feature that didn't rely on the missing google spy services)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Online Findecanor

« Reply #29518 on: Sun, 21 August 2022, 11:10:47 »
--
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 August 2022, 11:38:35 by Findecanor »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29519 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 06:07:06 »
Lunchtime on day one of a three day weekend and I'm already bored - why did I want a shorter working week again?!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29520 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 07:54:41 »

why did I want a shorter working week again?!

You need a hobby in the worst way, or else volunteer in something that helps people.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29521 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 16:24:32 »
Almost everyone I currently work with is around half my age. I feel like the token middle aged guy, I simply can't compete with those fresh faces and optimistic energy.
My plan is to slowly corrupt them all into depressed sarcastic cave goblins.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29522 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 16:26:22 »

You need a hobby in the worst way, or else volunteer in something that helps people.

Or he need to learn to enjoy doing nothing. There is a distinct satisfaction in spending a day or afternoon just being a useless blob after busting your ass all week.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29523 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 17:22:25 »
sat down in yard, 14 malicious skeeter attacks in 3 minutes, Tp4 defended,  threat neutralized,  felt bad for the skeeters, went inside.

what is going on, this is too many.    Thanks climate change.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29524 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 17:47:08 »

Thanks climate change.

Were they the Asian Tiger Mosquito? Striped body, active in daytime, smaller but more aggressive? Native mosquitos are mostly nocturnal.

Invasive species got here in the 1970s-1980s, as I recall, and have been working their way north.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aedes_albopictus

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29525 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 18:12:53 »
Yea those are the ones.  all camo'd up special forces skeeters.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29526 on: Sat, 27 August 2022, 02:58:56 »
Or he need to learn to enjoy doing nothing. There is a distinct satisfaction in spending a day or afternoon just being a useless blob after busting your ass all week.
Fohat nailed it - the plan was to get a time consuming hobby but after sitting home for nearly a month paying for everything and earning nothing and now working to be paid in arrears the bank balance is unhealthy and wont return to where I want it until September if I'm lucky, just in time for a big price hike for energy bills and car insurance renewal.  Then I'll be thinking of Christmas expenditure.  Still don't trust the freezer either...

And noisy you're right - a day off is a good thing and two days is tolerable, but I know full well from public holiday weekends more than that is too much.  My new/old job is so much better than the other one that a 12 hour shift feels shorter than 8 and I'm struggling to sleep so driving which makes it not very tiring, it's more "having to do something for four whole days" than "busting my ass all week".  This alone has made me happier, but not enough.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline upscalevalley

« Reply #29527 on: Mon, 29 August 2022, 03:34:01 »
 Global WARMING FOR SURE.  I am also amazed at how earth spinned faster on July 29, and some scientists has called global warming to be the reason.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29528 on: Fri, 02 September 2022, 03:10:37 »
I super do not understand how credit scores work. For the past year I have been busting my ass, paying off all my debts and loans, getting rid of long-running debts and settling others, paying off any loan almost immediately, never ever late of anything, and my credit score has just been hemorrhaging points since I began doing this. I've dropped nearly 60 points and falling since I began being credit healthy. It's like working out and eating right, then having a heart attack. What's the point? Is the system designed to reward your credit score when you are irresponsible and in debt?
I am nonplussed and perplexed at this entire stupid situation   :mad: :confused:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29529 on: Fri, 02 September 2022, 08:08:02 »

I super do not understand how credit scores work.

There is a great deal of voodoo involved. But for one thing they prefer people who carry consistent debt and make regular payments to people who take on large amounts then pay it off completely. And there are long lag times, ie months.

Also, as I understand it, various types of debt are evaluated very differently. As I recall, paying utilities and rent is virtually ignored, presumably because everybody does it because they have to, while credit cards, mortgages, and car payments are looked at as more desirable indicators. And they look at the debt/repayment cycles more than what would seem like more important factors such as the raw amount of income.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29531 on: Fri, 02 September 2022, 10:12:53 »
There is a great deal of voodoo involved. But for one thing they prefer people who carry consistent debt and make regular payments to people who take on large amounts then pay it off completely.
Does this mean we'd be better leaving a small amount on a credit card every month and paying a small amount of interest on it?

what do you need credit score for at this point though ?
Noisy has never owned a house and last I remember he was complaining about buses so a loan for a car is another likely option.

The thing that confuses me the most about credit is that if they think you'll struggle to pay instead of saying no they charge you more so you're more likely to fail.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29532 on: Fri, 02 September 2022, 10:20:11 »
buying lots of "stuff" on credit card, then paying it off on time is the fastest way to increase credit.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29533 on: Fri, 02 September 2022, 16:03:58 »
what do you need credit score for at this point though ?

Car loan. Used vehicles are a bit ridiculous right now.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29534 on: Sat, 03 September 2022, 08:42:48 »

If you're not over 160lbs you can get by on a small Ninja.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29535 on: Sat, 03 September 2022, 15:58:29 »

If you're not over 160lbs you can get by on a small Ninja.

I for sure am, and that is not optimal for getting groceries in the rain either.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29536 on: Sat, 03 September 2022, 16:47:42 »
I for sure am, and that is not optimal for getting groceries in the rain either.

Well, if you're over 160, then you have to go to the bigger ninja, and they're dangerous because they can throw you.

As for rain and groceries on a bike, just don't go grocery shopping in the rain, the weather prediction is 85% accurate within 1 week.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29537 on: Sat, 03 September 2022, 17:03:14 »

Well, if you're over 160, then you have to go to the bigger ninja, and they're dangerous because they can throw you.

As for rain and groceries on a bike, just don't go grocery shopping in the rain, the weather prediction is 85% accurate within 1 week.

I wanna die, sure, but not like that. I'd never get a bike, just like I'd never get a tattoo. I love looking at them, and think they are cool, but not for me.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29538 on: Sat, 03 September 2022, 18:05:32 »
I wanna die, sure, but not like that. I'd never get a bike, just like I'd never get a tattoo. I love looking at them, and think they are cool, but not for me.

70miles per gallon though ?  in this economy ?

You know, you can drive grandma slowly on a bike.  it's mostly the need for speed movie idiots who die on them.  weaving / dodging traffic, etc.

Offline iri

« Reply #29539 on: Sun, 04 September 2022, 03:04:02 »
I’m so glad credit scores don’t matter in the UK
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29540 on: Sun, 04 September 2022, 03:54:22 »
I wanna die, sure, but not like that.
100mph and snap your neck is not a bad way to go, just be sure to buy a poorly fitting helmet - being left with a working head and broken body is far worse than death.

Edit:  Just read elsewhere you met a doctor, maybe death is not such a good option right now
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 September 2022, 04:01:50 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #29541 on: Mon, 05 September 2022, 13:13:07 »

if you are in the US importing an old Japanese keycar could be cheap and they use 0.66l engines, so very good gas mileage, only they are really small and light, still safer than a bike :) here in Europe importation seems very complicated though... and i really want one, or two
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline iri

« Reply #29542 on: Mon, 05 September 2022, 13:41:44 »
I drove a uni mate's Nissan Cube once and had an impression that the car is AA battery powered. And that was 1.3l mind you. 0.66l is probably even worse lol

-Ray Bradbury

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #29543 on: Tue, 06 September 2022, 03:29:20 »
That reminds me of polish "maluch", Fiat 126p. Smallest car Poland ever had :)
It has around 0.6l engine.

9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29544 on: Tue, 06 September 2022, 12:57:20 »
That reminds me of polish "maluch", Fiat 126p. Smallest car Poland ever had :)
It has around 0.6l engine.

Show Image

these are dangerous on the highway, if you get a steep hill and a heavy load, people can crash into you.

Offline atarione

« Reply #29545 on: Tue, 06 September 2022, 13:42:09 »
you can use credit cards .. just don`t be dumb about how you use them... They generally have high interest rates on balances...   I use mine to earn points on purchases then pay the balance off before any interest charges are incurred..   

Don`t if you can help it mess up your credit score in the USA.... it will bite you, companies look at it sometimes during hiring process.    Trying to rent an apartment?  bad credit score is going to be a liability.  Buying a car /house..etc etc... credit scores matter

I have maintained a very high credit score for decades now...and it makes things easier when I want to buy something.... 

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy

Offline yui

« Reply #29548 on: Wed, 07 September 2022, 12:05:15 »
I drove a uni mate's Nissan Cube once and had an impression that the car is AA battery powered. And that was 1.3l mind you. 0.66l is probably even worse lol
the Nissan cube has a Renault engine, us french can't make a powerful engine to save our lives :)
The 0.6l out of a Suzuki Cappuccino makes as much power as the 1.4 in my old Citroen BX and more than the same engine in a more modern 207, for half the weight.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline iri

« Reply #29549 on: Wed, 07 September 2022, 17:09:36 »
the Nissan cube has a Renault engine, us french can't make a powerful engine to save our lives :)
tbh I had a Clio with a 1.5dCi. It felt like the engine could pull the car effortlessly on any hill and used very little fuel doing that. Which was very handy since I lived in Wales, with lots of steep hills.

-Ray Bradbury