Author Topic: Is There a Huge Difference Between KBParadise V60 and Pok3r?  (Read 8135 times)

Offline SeeYouSpaceCowboy

• Leopold FC660M (Cherry Brown)
Is There a Huge Difference Between KBParadise V60 and Pok3r?
« on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 19:30:38 »
I'm looking at getting a second mechanical, and after a discussion, I had on /r/MechanicalKeyboards, I decided on going black. But it turns out that a non-RGB Pok3r in black isn't available with Mx Clears right now.

I then came across KBParadise's V60 and wondered if there is that much of difference in quality? Both the Pok3r and V60 do have ABS caps instead of PBT. Which leads me to wondering if I'll notice a difference?

If I'd be sacrificing quality by going through a V60, I'll just suck it up and go with a white Pok3r, but I thought I'd come on here and ask you guys first.

Offline noSatellite

• perpetual n00b
Re: Is There a Huge Difference Between KBParadise V60 and Pok3r?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 20:47:06 »
the vp3 at wasd keyboards is a pok3r, and is currently available with mx clears - available in either ansi or iso.
What I lack in time, resources, and knowledge I make up for in passion, enthusiasm and ignorance.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 22:31:27 »
As far as 60% layouts go, you are in luck as they are the flavor of the year. For someone like me who relies too much on function keys to be ok with hiding them behind function layers it is a problem, we are not so lucky :( I love 75% keyboards, but that are so few and far between. Sadly, the layout is actually one that has existed since the late 80's, and still hasn't taken off, so I don't expect it to in the future.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 07:30:03 »
As far as 60% layouts go, you are in luck as they are the flavor of the year. For someone like me who relies too much on function keys to be ok with hiding them behind function layers it is a problem, we are not so lucky :( I love 75% keyboards, but that are so few and far between. Sadly, the layout is actually one that has existed since the late 80's, and still hasn't taken off, so I don't expect it to in the future.

This has almost 0 to do with OP's question, you're poppin in just to gripe about something.

In response to the question though, Pok3r and v60 are bother great keyboards. The Pok3r has an aluminum case, but the v60 has much nicer caps and is much lighter. I prefer the Pok3r personally, but I like heavier keyboards.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 13:48:58 »
I don't think you'll be sacrificing quality by going with the V60. It's a great board. The Pok3r seems unusually popular on reddit, but don't let that dissuade you from choosing the board that better suits you.

I prefer the V60's function layer layout and the location of the bottom row Fn key (I opt for R Alt on V60 vs. R Win on Pok3r). Yes, the Pok3r can be programmed, but that only applies to layers 2-4. The default layer cannot be changed. This difference alone makes me opt for the V60 every time.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 December 2017, 13:51:11 by eksuen »

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 14:43:57 »
I'd shell out a few more bucks and go with the KBP V60 Type R or even the Polestar Edition to get full programmability!

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 07:12:28 »
The difference is about 50 dollars.  I like the LED's on Poker better.  Key cap quality is similar.  Poker has metal case vs the V60 in plastic, which is not important to me.  The Poker's keys are "floating" while the other is recessed.  I noticed the Poker angle of the board is a little higher.  That's why I've been using exclusively a Leopold. 

Many of the v60's have debounce problems, especially in the space bar.  It will register 2 times or more.  I don't know if this has been solved.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 October 2018, 06:35:19 by jcoffin1981 »
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 11:32:28 »
I had a Poker before and I can say it ran with no issues whatsoever. I sold it to get a custom sixty using the Nerd60 PCB and I have two now. I do not know the V60 so I cannot say anything about it. Personally, I would encourage you to consider a custom sixty, there are many PCBs available and the options for cases and plates are also good. You may get programmability, the exact layout that you may want and you will have a lot of fun in the process of sourcing the parts and building it. I really think that building a keyboard is one of the best things you can do as a mechanical keyboard aficionado.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 14:26:55 »
I'd shell out a few more bucks and go with the KBP V60 Type R or even the Polestar Edition to get full programmability!
QFT

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 15:38:16 »
QFT
:thumb:

Offline 8Bitterness

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 21:53:06 »
If you're willing to throw in some extra cash and time I'd get the Pok3r LE with the frosted white layer. The case looks really solid and nice, you can throw some clears on there, perhaps a hasu USB to USB DIY or from 1upkeyboards and you're set. Otherwise the Type R for sure.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 22:47:59 »
Some KBP boards are really well made (one is made by Ducky if I remember right) but the V60 seems to be built by the same company as Razer and possibly Ajazz. While not the worst, it means you get crummy caps and stabs. Both can be fixed, but you shouldn't need to on a $100 keyboard. Stabs can be fixed with some lube, but last time I had keycaps like that they were destroyed in a couple weeks, these may be better, but I avoid them now (one set lasted a week!). Vortex has had their ups and downs, but in general are getting better and better.

Why not build your next keyboard? 60% is a perfect keyboard for this purpose as parts and kits are cheap and plentiful.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline killyou

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 01:41:03 »
I wouldn't bother with any other stock 60% than Pok3r, best value for money. I recommend to get the cheapest Pok3r available from eBay (you can get it as low as $80 for a new one) and for the money you saved put Zealios instead.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 September 2018, 08:12:25 by killyou »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 11:57:04 »
They should keep the width the same,  but make it taller so we don't need so many function layers..

I don't see why we couldn't keep the 60% width, then add 3 more rows of keys..

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 18:00:39 »
@SeeYouSpaceCowboy: Good question. I have a Pok3r with Cherry Brown, V60 with Gateron Yellow, V60 with Matias Click, V60 with Matias Quiet, and V60R with Cherry Green. They are alike in many respects, but there are some features that are unique to one or the other.

For example, the Pok3r has an aluminum case, which many folks find appealing. However, once the keyboard is on my desk, I don't notice the heavier weight of the Pok3r. All of my keyboards in the above list are black, and so I also don't notice any difference in appearance of the cases. The main difference is in the sound. To me, the hollow plastic case of the V60 boards sounds better than the aluminum case. I have come to the same conclusion by transplanting the innards of one board from a plastic case into a Pok3r aluminum case and vice-versa, to ensure that I am comparing the sound when the only variable is the case.

The Pok3r has modified Cherry stabilizers that feel somewhat less mushy to me than the Cherry stabilizers in the Cherry mx or clone V60 boards. I prefer the feel of the Costar-type stabilizers in the Matias-switch V60 boards over any of the other boards in this group.

My Pok3r came with laser-etched PBT keycaps, which felt better than the laser-etched ABS keycaps on the V60R, but I ended up replacing the caps on all of the boards with dye-sub PBT alphas and blank black modifiers and spacebars.

The switch options on the Pok3r are limited to Cherry mx, whereas V60 models include Cherry mx, Gateron, Kailh, Matias, and Fukka.

Because my preferred layout is HHKB, in a non-HHKB board, it is important to me to have programming options to reconfigure the layout to HHKB. The Pok3r has extensive programming options, but it is not completely programmable, and I was unable to find a straightforward way of remapping the R_Ctrl to Fn, which is the way I remap other keyboards. This is where the V60R comes out ahead -- it is completely programmable via QMK firmware.

If you are okay with Cherry mx switches and highly flexible remapping but not total programmability, then the Pok3r is probably the better value. However, if you would like more switch options, the V60 could provide those. If you would also like to have full programmability, then the V60R or V60R Polestar offers this. The V60 Polestar version adds LED underglow effects.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 19:45:21 »
I don't have the V60, but I have a V80 with Matias Click switches. I recommend against it simply because the case is cheap crap. I eventually put mine in a TEX aluminum case, which helped with stability. The original plastic case was uneven; it seemed to have some permanent flex in it that made it not sit level on my desk unless I folded a sticky note under it. Even then, I could feel it flex and bend a bit when using it.

I've also had a few reliability issues with the switches, but that probably doesn't affect the Cherry versions.

As far as the stock keycaps, they were actually pretty decent doubleshot ABS OEM profile. I actually liked typing on them quite a bit.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 16 September 2018, 00:36:50 »
Just got my V80 today (Matias), have to agree with Kavik, the case is not very good. Mine isn't twisted it just doesn't hold the plate like it should. I may be able to fix it.

I may be a bit overly critical here and expecting too much considering the price and comparing it to my other more expensive boards. Other than that though, the rest seems quite good.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion