Author Topic: Does a mainstream keyboard like this exist?  (Read 4469 times)

Offline typo

Does a mainstream keyboard like this exist?
« on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 10:16:39 »
Heavy switches, 55cn+. Backlight, White or RGB. PBT, Double shot key caps. PBT or Aluminum for the entire case. Do not care about rollover but must be USB. Per the title, it must be mainstream. IE, available at Best Buy ETC.

I had exactly this until it quit yesterday. Controller is shot.

Offline clickityClackity

Re: Does a mainstream keyboard like this exist?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 10:21:41 »
What did you have?

Sent from my Lenovo PB2-670N using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 11:48:23 »
if you had exactly that,  wouldn't --exactly that-- be the obvious replacement. ?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 11:50:09 »
The original keyboard discussion can be found here

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90177.0

Offline Vladimir

• Professional Dream Crusher
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 12:19:28 »
55g are not heavy. Maybe medium. Anyway, just look for blue switches, if you want precisely this force.
Except Kailh, since their blue is a little lighter (50g).
I don't think there's any Keyboard that comes with  PBT doubleshot caps by standard. You can find one with PBT caps sub dye, though.
There's no such thing as PBT case. Remember that it's hard to make spacebars with PBT because the're big, imagine a whole case.
Also, "mainstream" and "aluminum case" it's not a valid match.

Until this point, there's many options. The thing you should be more specific is the size you want.
Full size, TKL, 60%,... What do you want?

Quote from: tp4tissue
if you had exactly that,  wouldn't --exactly that-- be the obvious replacement. ?
Good point.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 June 2017, 12:21:54 by Vladimir »

Matias Mini Quiet Pro              Noppoo Nano 75-S Brown

Offline typo

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 17:37:45 »
I had a old discontinued Deck. It was exactly everything I asked for. Now dead and no longer made. Yesterday, I asked right here for help troubleshooting it and no one responded. With help, at least. I am very well versed in electronics but stumped on this. If I could just fix the controller on it I would not be asking this. I do not mean bad by the following statement okay. Just personal opinion. That Deck I loved so much, right now I am using a RealForce 55g tall and it might as well be a $25 board to me. I cannot find my Korean custom but don't like it anyways because I prefer attached Num pad. Otherwise it is the only thing close. It depends on you but I say that Deck is in fact a "Legend" such as Model F,M are. Plus Chery White,Clear are not exactly 55g. They slowly go to about 100g. You guy's know this. I do not think there is anything exactly as I describe currently. Unless someone want's to help me troubleshoot. Even then, it may just be done. I guess at that point I will just get some other Korean. Since nothing like that exists at a B&M AFAIK. I figured worth asking incase there was something I had overlooked. Oh Well.

Offline Vladimir

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 19:00:34 »
Never heard about Deck before. For a moment i thought it was a typo and you actually means Duck.
Impressed they make PBT doubleshot on their KBs.

Anyway, you could just buy a teensy, rewire everything and still use your keyboard.
Or even look for a full PCB that fits your layout.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 19:33:19 »
You might have had to use your time more to search resources, TG3/Deck is  supportive for their users  enough to offer its schematic. This is probably enough to solve your issue if you are very versed in electronics. If not you can post Deck forum to ask help.

http://deckkeyboards.com/sites/default/files/legend_schematic.pdf
http://deckkeyboards.com/forum/

Offline dwarflemur

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 20:07:28 »

K70 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Camp C225 | Norbatouch | ALF X2 + X3 | Orange TKL | CA66 | Leaf 60 | a bunch of others

Offline Vladimir

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 21:01:45 »
I've thought it was just a top plate instead of the whole case.
Well, if it's the whole case, I'm glad to be wrong.

Offline typo

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 11:02:40 »
It's fixed. Luckily this is probably serviceable for the rest of my life. So I do not have to ever go looking for something else. Since this is my End game board. Yes, even the entire case is PBT. Short of Korean there is nothing like it. their new ones are made in China and are not $300, instead $100. Not the same. I guess there was no market for this at the time. It was a difficult repair, I had the schematic but thank you. Mainly a lot of troubleshooting. Once I found the resister of course it was easy then. I am telling you, even those of you including myself that know this stuff would have had difficulty. Or maybe not. I am just glad it is fixed.

Now, I do have one issue. Could not get a white I needed. Used a clicky. Don't remember the color but velocity feels the same. I just want to remove the click. Luckily that is a heck of a lot easier to do than this repair was. I had about 11 hours in this repair but worth it to me. This board is more complex than you might imagine. like compared to a Topre which is easy to fix. Unless you run into a grounding to resistance issue which rarely happens with them.

Offline Vladimir

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 13:48:33 »
Wait, the entire case is PBT? How is that possible? Shoudn't have shrinking problems with spacebars?
I don't know anything anymore.

Offline typo

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 18:39:03 »
I do not know but according to TG# the entire case and the spacebar are made from PBT. The keys are sort of a reverse double shot and Dyesub. They are two pieces. There is currently nothing like this and nothing preceding it.  It would be a tossup if you want this or a Korean but this is long since out of production. For whatever reason they couldn't sell a $300 keyboard. Or something else killed production. Well, they told me it cost more to make than they sold it for and going up to $500 it surely would not sell. Granted, some people do not like it. It is my favorite ever and I have had or currently have some very fancy boards. It should be serviceable for my lifetime. I am older for one thing. Plus all the resisters Etc are off the shelf. It is a beast IMO.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 15:58:12 »
BTW, Matias' keyboards cases are made of polycarbonate like Apple's keyboards before they went with aluminium. Old IBM Model Ms had cases of PVC.

K70 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Just to educate the noob:
More
Most keyboards with mechanical switches have switches mounted in a metal plate made from sheet aluminium - inside a plastic case. Corsairs keyboards are not more metal than the norm: they merely have the sheet-metal plate exposed. The bottom and sides of the Corsair K70 are still regular ABS plastic.

Then there are keyboards where the case is made of solid aluminium. For instance the entire top of the Cherry MX-Board 6.0 - it has a bottom of plastic but still a whole lot more metal than any Corsair keyboard.
Look also at the Input.club K-type on Kickstarter, which also has "floating keys" like Corsairs but where the case is made from solid aluminium and not just from sheet metal - all of it except for the side-glow lighting strip.

And then there have been many different high-end enthusiast keyboards made from solid aluminium, as well as aftermarket aluminium cases for a couple of popular keyboard models. All solid, all aluminium.
But enthusiast-grade stuff is not what "typo" is asking for.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 June 2017, 16:03:19 by Findecanor »

Offline typo

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 17:14:31 »
Correct you are. I do really want a nice new board at this point. Having trashed this dang thing. My bad. I do not really want to spend more than 3 bills. A Korean custom(which I already have a few anyways) can run a grand. Usually because they are being resold and jacked up due to rarity. Getting one new ifor 3 bills is possible but good luck. I wanted something that is not crazy expensive and not hard to obtain. Unfortunately the most important thing to me is PBT/POM Doubleshot or Dyesub. That is going to be nearly impossible in a mainstream board. They seem to top out at $200. The extra $100 will buy the keys but I want the board assembled and ready to go. The new decks do have these keys but the quality overall is not what the Legend was. It is geared towards gamers at a mere hundred bucks. Not sure what I am going to do. For free at this point I could get used to my Realforce or HHKB but I want backlighting. AFAIK the only thing may vey well be the new Deck's. For a hundred bucks what they are offering is a lot if not nonetheless entire package. The only way to get what I want right now appears only custom and too expensive and possible very long wait. So I could just fix this up. At least this thing is readily serviceable. I need a clear switch but easy to find on Ebay. The rest of the abuse is harder to roll back LOL. Moral here i guess is treat nice things nicely and they will treat you nicely. I failed to do so here and now I am of course sad. DUH. If anyone does know of something like what I wish for other than the Deck's please state a model. Otherwise honestly Deck still is better than the likes of Corsair and Razer. For anyone else if you ara indeed a NOOB do yourself a Favor and just order the Deck. For me it does not quite come up to what I am used to but well worth the measly price. I might even give one a try. Where else are you going to get RGB DYESUB DOUBLESHOT keys? Has an ABS case now but that is not the important part. To be honest for a case ABS is perhaps more robust than PBT. PBT is brittle. Hit it hard and it may break. ABS should take a lot harder hit. Heck they make $3,000 industrial vacuum cleaners out of ABS due to the lightness and strength. The keys must be PBT/POM because the legends will just wear off. That is why if you get like Corsair or Razer and use it for gaming you will be sorry quickly. I don't even game but type a lot and these things will wear out in short order. So the answer is I guess, you can get something online but not at best buy walk in. If I did not want BackLight there are a lot more(and better) options.

Sorry for super long crazy post LOL! I live up to my name. It is in fact actually my nickname due to all the bad code I write!

Offline Sangdrax

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 18:47:28 »
If you don't mind older boards, the TG3-BL82 is pretty cheap and an excellent 75% from the same company as Deck. There's also a Deck Legend on ebay right now for about a hundred bucks for a straight replacement.

Assuming not the controller, my bet is you either have something shorted, a ribbon cable a little loose, or you put the LED in backwards.

Offline typo

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 19:24:28 »
I fixed it but I did not have a key I needed. TBH this thing is trashed. I saw the one on Ebay before you :) I will most likely get that. Honestly there is nothing like this now. Since I even prefer a flat profile. Adding that into the mix I am pretty sure offers Zero options new. Even with sculpted all there is are the new cheap Chinese Decks. I do not know why no one has a backlit DS PBT on Clears. Well, I do know. Cost! The reason deck went to China is like everyone else it cost more to make then they sold it for. At 300 bucks they had a hard enough time selling it at the time to begin with. It is something totally different than the usual suspects. Ducky,Filco,Matias,Das Etc. If anyone does know of something new I would prefer it even at 4 bills. Korean is just hard to come by. Mine are TenKeyLess and I hate a separate Num pad. Topre is something different entirely different and I have 2 RealForce and 2 HHKB already.  I guess going over to Ebay. This is not worth my time at this point. I mean the keyboard :)

Offline typo

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 22:31:32 »
Well I got all excited about the Topre RGB. Even though 45g is a little light still like topre switches of course. Unfortunately DoubleShot ABS keycaps. How in the world could they use ABS on what is supposedly their flagship board? Legends will not wear off I imagine but I also imagine they will get shiny. What do you guy's think about the Keycaps? That is the only thing that would stop me from buying it. Otherwise it looks terrific. Would you guy's be wary of the DS ABS caps? I mean for $270 it should be the whole package IMO.

Nevermind. It is aimed at the gaming maket and not the quality of a RealForce from all I have read. Hence ABS. That crowd probably would not know the difference. No insult, i know some do know. So, used clean Deck for a bill is a good deal I guess. Unles you guy's really think the Topre RGB is better in some way. It certainly is not built like the Deck. Very few keyboards ever where. Model M,F perhaps. Nothing fairly modern other than Korean. You guy''s think the Topre or the Deck? Independent of cost.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 June 2017, 23:43:58 by typo »

Offline typo

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 23 June 2017, 11:03:50 »
Sorry to hijack my thread. Between the Topre RGB and Deck Hassium Pro. I do not need RGB,just White. The RGB is not like a RealForce apparently. The Hassium seems built better with better keys. Just afraid to buy used on Ebay no refund. So between those Two what do you guy's think? or something else? Thanks

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 23 June 2017, 23:08:54 »
I had a old discontinued Deck. It was exactly everything I asked for. Now dead and no longer made. Yesterday, I asked right here for help troubleshooting it and no one responded. With help, at least. I am very well versed in electronics but stumped on this. If I could just fix the controller on it I would not be asking this. I do not mean bad by the following statement okay. Just personal opinion. That Deck I loved so much, right now I am using a RealForce 55g tall and it might as well be a $25 board to me. I cannot find my Korean custom but don't like it anyways because I prefer attached Num pad. Otherwise it is the only thing close. It depends on you but I say that Deck is in fact a "Legend" such as Model F,M are. Plus Chery White,Clear are not exactly 55g. They slowly go to about 100g. You guy's know this. I do not think there is anything exactly as I describe currently. Unless someone want's to help me troubleshoot. Even then, it may just be done. I guess at that point I will just get some other Korean. Since nothing like that exists at a B&M AFAIK. I figured worth asking incase there was something I had overlooked. Oh Well.

Can you upload some pictures of your keyboard, I would love to see what you are talking about

Offline typo

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 00:18:07 »
Just go to ebay and type in DEck Legend. There is one for sale cheap but I do not really want it since no returns or refunds seems fishy to me. The topre won't do with ABS caps. I am considering a Ducky Shine 6 RGb DoubleShot PBT. Strange I search and find no mention of it here. The thing is He is showing this fancy special edition and then the last picture is the standard one. You can't trust anyone anymore! I actually thought I will go back to MX Blues. Clears and Blacks I may enjy but they are wreaking havoc on my fingers. I probably type 25,000 characters in a 14 hour day. I like the feel but it is at an expense. Swollen knuckles Etc. Hard to go back to such a light key though. What switch would you guys get solely for tying? There is this iikb or something but I am wary of that as well. Yeah, I am untrusting.  Ducky is reputable and at least made in Taiwan. Can't find anything else that has everything I wish for. This board works now but it is jacked up. So it's life is sadly over.

Offline typo

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 16:21:20 »
No wonder I do not find ducky here, it is apparently crapola! I do not know what the best illimunated keyboard is but would like to? I am just weary of the Topre RGB because it has ABS caps. Do you guy's think those caps will hold up or get all shiny? Plus others said it sucks compared to a regular RealForce. I am using a RealForce all 55g right now and I like it fine. I have eyesite and fine motor issues so it is difficult. I once typed 145WPM touch with near zero error. I am a real geek for sure. I earned my nerd badge but I am old and feable now. Backlighting helps a lot but they tend to be of lower quality. Even if they have DS PBT caps. Not completely sure what to do. Take a $100 chance on Ebay on the great board I have? I would guess the new Chinese Deck's are the typical rubbish. This thing is Police car technology so will hold up. I had a minor issue with it and due to my motor issues turned it into a big issue. I really don't know what one should purchase in an illuminated board but at this point MX blues will do since none have clears.

I apologize that I have made such a big deal out of this. You have to understand I have physical limitations to factor in. Otherwise I would just keep using this RealForce. I would really appreciate if someone tells me what is the best quality in an illuminated board with DS PBT. Or if the Topre is okay. This is a big deal, not for gaming but for a disability. I need to type a lot. I did not mean to wear everyone out here. I am sorry. 

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 16:36:38 »
The problem you've got is their aren't really any high quality doubleshot pbt caps.

As far as ducky goes they are quality keyboards but I'm not sure the status on their doubleshot pbt keycaps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline typo

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 16:57:13 »
Thank you, I really appreciate your response. Ducky does have a very nice DS PBT RGB board. I saw but one thread here via google where everyone bashed Ducky. I think originally they had issues and that turned people off but it looks very well built. The Topre I am afraid of because a lot of people said it was not nearly the quality of a regular RealForce. Losing $250 would suck. The Ducky limited edition,not he blue one looks very nice for $129. So I guess I will just be done already. Obviously I trust you SpamRay since you have been here a minute :) Oh wait, Are you saying ABS DS is actually better? I am worried they will get all shiny. Of course DS originally were all ABS. Perhaps that is why Deck started with these Two piece keys. I am thinking that Ducky is nicer than the New Decks though. The old deck keys have been in use industrially for ages. Perhaps they cannot build a good DS PBT and that is why they are on cheap boards? Thank you, SpamRay

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 17:18:40 »
Thank you, I really appreciate your response. Ducky does have a very nice DS PBT RGB board. I saw but one thread here via google where everyone bashed Ducky. I think originally they had issues and that turned people off but it looks very well built. The Topre I am afraid of because a lot of people said it was not nearly the quality of a regular RealForce. Losing $250 would suck. The Ducky limited edition,not he blue one looks very nice for $129. So I guess I will just be done already. Obviously I trust you SpamRay since you have been here a minute :) Oh wait, Are you saying ABS DS is actually better? I am worried they will get all shiny. Of course DS originally were all ABS. Perhaps that is why Deck started with these Two piece keys. I am thinking that Ducky is nicer than the New Decks though. The old deck keys have been in use industrially for ages. Perhaps they cannot build a good DS PBT and that is why they are on cheap boards? Thank you, SpamRay

Most keycaps made for backlit boards aren't very good quality wise but I would say most people here are more interested in looks versus long term durability as most people replace keycaps frequently.

The special edition ducky I believe is ducky's first attempt at backlit pbt but I don't know if the pbt caps made it to the production model.

It seems most modern manufacturers have struggled with making doubleshot pbt caps.

But yes as you said abs will shine eventually.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline typo

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 18:07:30 »
The special edition that is blue with the floating keys is actually aBS. There is some Edition they are not currently showing with a Ninja on the space bar. It says PBT DoubleShot key caps. There is also the new Deck's but I know they are not built like the Legend was. Nicer looking caps though as they are true DS. The TG3 keys are a thick top with a "skirt" glued aroung the base of the top. Virtually indestructible but does not look great. Honestly I do not game or care about aesthetics. I am still coding but I have Two things going on. Motor ability and Eyesight even with TriFocals. Once I got a backlit board things were much easier for me. I know very well how to touch type but I am no longer physically able to. I went from 145WPM as a young man to about 50WPM now. So I went from unusually good to unusually bad. The backlit boards may not be the best but I almost require them at this point unfortunately. Sure, I would rather just use the RealForce I am typing this on but it is extremely difficult now. So the backlit is not some novelty to me. I just wanted you to know why this is so important. Since above all else I value quality. So just trying to get the best one I can. On that note I do not need RGB, White will suffice. The old Legend was great, very bright,flat profile(DCS), Clear switches, built like a tank. I am just afraid to buy the one on Ebay. Any seller with no returns I am wary of. However due to the quality I am sort of considering gambling 100 bucks right now. There is no doubt it is better built than anything made right now. I am glad you told me ABS will get shiny. The Topre RGB at $250 for it's apparent quality is a shame. Pretty much I am about to decide if I will gamble or get the Ducky. I appreciate your help. You finally gave me the advice I was seeking.

Offline typo

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 01:47:10 »
I couldn't be happy with anything else bought the Deck. I sure do hope it is intact or I am back to where I started minus $100. So this is done for now. I noticed the Deck was considerably more money in 2003 than any RealForce is at the moment. For whatever that is worth. I am not insinuating anything just a factoid. It is by far my favorite board ever and I own many of the most sought after ones. I use it almost exclusively except for boards on other machines here. I am very glad it was available at the right moment so long as it works. That's all.

Offline typo

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 29 June 2017, 12:29:15 »
It is fine and the seller is very nice.

I always wished they had true DS keys. There is a reason for these. They are far more robust in cop cars Etc. The new decks have true DS but it is nowhere near the quality of the Legend or 82. Made in USA by hand Vs. made in China by machines. There is also a large price difference from when the Legend was new. My only sort of complaint about these boards is the 2 piece keys but they are actually much more robust. Early ones had a PBT space bar but they Switched to ABS after a few years. Otherwise it is one heck of a solid board. Nothing else will do for me. Glad to put the RealForce Tall 55g back in the closet. I know most people feel exactly the opposite but this is pretty subjective. Like what car you would want. One other thing. The RGB Topre is a piece of junk IMO. Not the same as a Regular Topre. So I would avoid that IMO. Of course I am comparing it to a much sturdier board.
Actually as another person mentioned here there really are no good backlit boards right now. The Legend was one of a kind. They lost money on every unit at a price many balked at to begin with. So that is why it is no longer made.