Author Topic: Dash Cams  (Read 1988 times)

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Dash Cams
« on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 15:42:03 »
Is it just me ??

Or, does every dash cam kinda suck...

I've seen 10 year old home video cameras that take more detailed videos than today's cams.

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
Re: Dash Cams
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 17:31:40 »
I think it's safe to say that most indeed do suck pretty hard unless you drop some serious money into one.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 01:31:34 »
Cash dams.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 08:46:07 »
Which one have ya'll tried with Actual good quality like normal video cameras.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 08:52:53 »
i always thought the quality was intentionally low, so the little sdcards can hold weeks' worth of driving footage

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 10:17:50 »
i always thought the quality was intentionally low, so the little sdcards can hold weeks' worth of driving footage

They all seem to run at 20mbit for most cameras above $50,  that's 2.5MB/s  ,  so a 64gb card gets you around 6 to 6 and a quarter hours.

Assuming your commute is roughly 1 hour,  that's only 3 days worth of footage on the 64gb card.

But data size isn't the issue.

Because the image quality sucks..  I've seen much lower bitrate videos that look way better.

The sony exa sensor is the popular one right now, lots of companies seem to release cameras touting sony..  because it's got better night time vision

But they're all 2 megapixel sensors,  and it's just too small because you can barely see license plates at 3 car lengths.

The main issue may be cost, because yea you can build a $500 dash cam, but then the heroin addicts loitering every american parking lot will have a field day.

Everywhere you go these days, you see heroin addicts..

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 22:30:07 »
What's silly is..

Dash cam peeps are obssessed with 1080p 60fps

But Probably more than 80% of them can't playback 1080p/60 with good scaling without frame drops.. hahahahahaha

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 23:50:57 »
I watch a lot of dash cams Australia on you tube, the general quality seems pretty good. **** your not meant to be shooting pron with the thing, it is there to capture a sequence of events in the event of an accident.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 23:54:38 »
I watch a lot of dash cams Australia on you tube, the general quality seems pretty good. **** your not meant to be shooting pron with the thing, it is there to capture a sequence of events in the event of an accident.

E-gadz.. Tp4's cunning plan foiled by fanpeople !!

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 00:05:23 »
As long as the damn camera has good angle coverage and decent image quality and low-light performance, I guess that is sufficient

I don't have high expectations for Dash cams at all but I bought mine in Taiwan about a year ago, It has a Sony sensor with pretty amazing low light performance and image quality as well as pretty clear glass for wide angle with little to no glare, It also has a sensor built in to detect sudden collisions which basically automatically trims the footage to the 3 minutes before and after the impact, making files much easier to recover and find, it's a great little thing to have if you do drive professionally and gives you that piece of mind.

The one I bought was around $120 USD, not sure if it's available outside of Taiwan though.  :thumb:

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 21:12:26 »
1080p 60fps in good light can't be all that bad?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ