Author Topic: been going for walks and seeing cool ducks  (Read 6483 times)

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
been going for walks and seeing cool ducks
« on: Sat, 29 July 2023, 08:08:38 »
I've been walking a lot more recently and Honestly the novelty has kinda worn off (which sounds weird but when you live in a surburb that's like 20 minutes to a bus line and not much in the area, seeing the same locations is kinda boring after a while) but I've been doing it to try and stay active and it helps me clear my mind from some of the stress that I have.

But while walking I see this type of duck that every-time I try and take a photo of them it always hides and I can't get a photo of them without stuff in the way. It's like blue, with a red beak and they look so cool. If they weren't wild animals I would love to have one as a pet, I know you can have ducks as pets cause I saw that one video of the pet duck that ran a marathon which was funny and cute.

This is the clearest image I have of it, I use my phone which doesn't have the best quality so it doesn't look the best but that's fine, It also doesn't look like it's got a head lol. Also the duck looks bluer in real life and I don't remember it being black and blue but I can't visualize things at all so I'm probably wrong

I had to zoom in to really see it. I swear this duck was standing on trimmed grass where you could see the whole thing, and the moment I went to pull out my phone to take a photo they jumped into the bush and I could only take this photo.

I will get an actually good photo of this type of duck (If they aren't camera shy which one of them was clearly). Also please walk if you don't. I understand America isn't the friendliest place for pedestrians where most of you are but It really helps you (or at least helped me) maybe go to a reserve of park and walk there. Put on a new album or a podcast or something as well, really makes walks more bearable if you doing the same walk everyday. Stay Healthy everyone :)

Offline iri

Re: been going for walks and seeing cool ducks
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 30 July 2023, 04:05:38 »
Looks like a western swamphen, though I'm not sure what it would be doing in Australia.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 30 July 2023, 06:51:52 »
Red-headed Snickle****
type;waterfowl

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 30 July 2023, 11:26:35 »
Looks like a western swamphen, though I'm not sure what it would be doing in Australia.
Close.
It's a male Purple Swamphen
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline iri

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 30 July 2023, 14:08:02 »
lol

Quote from: wikipedia
The purple swamphen has been split into the following species:[1][2][3]

Western swamphen, Porphyrio porphyrio, southwest Europe and northwest Africa
    African swamphen, Porphyrio madagascariensis, sub-Saharan continental Africa and Madagascar
    Grey-headed swamphen, Porphyrio poliocephalus, Middle East, through the Indian subcontinent to southern China and northern Thailand
    Black-backed swamphen, Porphyrio indicus, southeast Asia to Sulawesi
    Philippine swamphen, Porphyrio pulverulentus, Philippine islands
    Australasian swamphen, Porphyrio melanotus, Australia, New Zealand, and Oceania

I guess it's the last one.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 30 July 2023, 18:38:53 »
So I looked into it and yeah it probably is a swamphen and not a duck. I looked into them and found out that they hide from humans, which is probably why I couldn't get a clear photo of them. Looking back I thought the "duck" had really long legs but I didn't know what swamphens really were so I didn't think that it wasn't a duck. Cool Animals

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 30 July 2023, 19:36:41 »
With limited view I could easily see mistaking it for a duck, especially without knowing about them. Out of water I could even see mistaking it for a turkey or pheasant.

I found it by looking up "red beak duck Australia" so enough people think it's a duck to make search engines find it that way.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 13 September 2023, 08:52:19 »
The elites don't want you to know this) but the ducks at the park are free you can take them home.

The elites don't want you to know this) but the ducks at the park are free you can take them home.

someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 13 September 2023, 09:24:15 »

The elites

What is that?

And why would "they" care whether you take a wild creature home with you?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 13 September 2023, 10:04:36 »

The elites

What is that?

And why would "they" care whether you take a wild creature home with you?

I have 458 ducks
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 18 October 2023, 18:49:35 »
Well I saw them again, don't know how I thought they were ducks. Manage to take a photo of them and not even close lol.

But I did see actual ducks. My phone died as I was taking another picture but they started to walk across the crossing together, very cute.

Offline iri

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 19 October 2023, 04:58:02 »
Boring! Post exotic fauna!

-Ray Bradbury

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 19 October 2023, 05:09:15 »
This is Frank. He sometimes goes by my bedroom window.
303298-0" alt="" class="bbc_img" />
303300-1
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 October 2023, 05:11:14 by noisyturtle »

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 19 October 2023, 06:37:40 »
Show Image
(Attachment Link) " alt="" class="bbc_img" />

(Attachment Link)

the scrunkly  :)

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 19 October 2023, 06:38:56 »
Show Image

(Attachment Link)

is this a lynx loafing

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 19 October 2023, 18:10:50 »
Boring! Post exotic fauna!

Not much exotic fauna where I live, mostly normal birds magpies and the ones I've shown. I do see some weird looking birds but not sure if they are common elsewhere, usually they fly really quickly and I have my phone in my pocket so when I see them and try and take a pic they usually are long gone.

Show Image

(Attachment Link)

He seems chill, just protecting your house.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 19 October 2023, 18:26:52 »
He rubber his chin against it: it is his now.

We get at least some fauna in my neighbourhood.
There was a beaver, for about a year. but it disappeared. I've seen a shy deer and an owl.
We used to have hares: now we have a fox.

Offline iri

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 20 October 2023, 03:08:56 »
Show Image

(Attachment Link)
Aww, a cute kitty!

-Ray Bradbury

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 23 October 2023, 10:15:11 »
He rubber his chin against it: it is his now.

We get at least some fauna in my neighbourhood.
There was a beaver, for about a year. but it disappeared. I've seen a shy deer and an owl.
We used to have hares: now we have a fox.

in my area we got ravens, crows, geese, owls, rabbits, occasional fox and coyote, finches, toads, deer, and rarely a black bear will wander out into town