Author Topic: The Beer Thread!  (Read 399306 times)

Offline Cheesebaron

• blog
Re: The Beer Thread!
« Reply #500 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 14:43:22 »
Danish beer represent!

MINILA       Poker II       Model M
MX Blue      MX Blue       SSK '88

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #501 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 15:54:06 »
My recent favorite is from a local Brewery called The Swamp Head. They brew a sick oatmeal stout that has espresso and dark chocolate/cocoa flavor called Midnight Oil. So good.

Show Image

We should have a meet up over a pint of that stuff. Or several.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline YummyTreeSap

« Reply #502 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 01:45:52 »
Just another beer geek here.  Last fantastic beer I've had was Westbrook's Gose, which is a wonderful, sour, low ABV beer.  Lately I've been really burnt out on the high alcohol beers; they're just so much to take.  If anyone here ever wishes to follow me on Untappd, go right ahead.  I give too many beers 4 stars.
https://untappd.com/user/YummyTreeSap

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #503 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 02:26:06 »
My recent favorite is from a local Brewery called The Swamp Head. They brew a sick oatmeal stout that has espresso and dark chocolate/cocoa flavor called Midnight Oil. So good.

Show Image

We should have a meet up over a pint of that stuff. Or several.

LOL! I missed this until now!!! :(

That would be great! If I'm ever in the Orlando area, I'll be sure to let you know. If you're ever in Gville in the next month or two, please let me know. There is a chance I may be moving back to Tampa in late June/July, but just let me know, so if I'm in town, we can get together :D That you can believe :D Also need to contact Jocelyn. A small meet up would be so very very coooool.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 May 2014, 02:27:39 by VesperSAINT »

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #504 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 02:51:58 »
I've grown mighty fond of this beer in recent months.

If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline tribade

« Reply #505 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 20:39:55 »
americans talking about lambic, hilarious.

Well we do what we can with what we have. We don't live in Belgium and can't get the natural yeast but doggone it we will do our best!

I had a really nice Lambic from Upright brewing in Portland!  It was called Fantasia and was a limited release.  We can do anything we set our minds to!  Right? ...Right?
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #506 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 20:49:40 »
Just cracked open a Schneider Hopfenweisse. First impression... where has this beer been all my life! A very nice dry hopped weisse-bock with hints of apricot citrus and a raw honey like finish. Absolutely delicious! 8/10 would highly recommend this to fans of weisse biers.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #507 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 20:53:11 »
Just cracked open a Schneider Hopfenweisse. First impression... where has this beer been all my life! A very nice dry hopped weisse-bock with hints of apricot citrus and a raw honey like finish. Absolutely delicious! 8/10 would highly recommend this to fans of weisse biers.

Noted!   :thumb:

I'm drinking G&T tonight though, so it'll have to wait.

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #508 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 17:23:49 »

I wanted to try that too but couldn't find it anywhere yet. I can also highly recommend Schneider's Doppelbock Aventinus. It's quite heavy and a great beer for the winter.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 June 2014, 17:25:32 by Mooby »

Offline iri

« Reply #509 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 17:40:01 »
k thx
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tgujay

« Reply #510 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 12:38:52 »
Show Image

An old favorite! bottled last week.

That is the ****ing coolest bottle opener.
Gotta collect them all

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #511 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 12:41:36 »
i remember my favourite beer
none of them
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline tgujay

« Reply #512 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 14:11:45 »
none of them

Shots fired.

I don't really like beer either, I'm more a cider guy.
Gotta collect them all

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #513 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 14:36:08 »
none of them
I've lost all faith in you.
Go drink some barcadis you tweeb.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #514 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 18:30:22 »
Well this isn't beer but thought I'd post it anyways. I never really got into the whole Apple Cider thing but I recently picked this up from a winery down in San Luis Obispo and it was hands down delicious! Super cool down to earth people down there, wish I would've bought a case of it. :(

Offline sacratoy

• Twitch
« Reply #515 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 20:50:39 »

Whats in the fridge at the moment. I'm really liking the Helles... like really really liking it.

Haven't broken into the Avery's yet. Almost too much good beer in and around Boulder/Longmont to drink :D

If y'all from far away are hunting for some CO beer, maybe we can set up a trade.

For recommendations at the moment, if you can get a hold of the New Belgium seasonal 'Summer Helles,' I highly recommend it. Very solid, somewhat simple and very refreshing lager.

My expeditions east have also made me fond of Harpoon Brewery. Their IPA's, UFO wheat beer line, and surprisingly their cider's are very solid.

As for my Coloradan comrades, I recommend checking out 300 Suns brewery in Longmont, Boot Strap in Niwot, and Asher in Gunbarrel. I don't believe any of them widely distribute, and 300 Suns just opened 4 months ago. All of them are nice, and have great tasting rooms.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 July 2014, 20:56:52 by sacratoy »
Poker II

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #516 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 18:00:55 »
Show Image

Whats in the fridge at the moment. I'm really liking the Helles... like really really liking it.

Haven't broken into the Avery's yet. Almost too much good beer in and around Boulder/Longmont to drink :D

If y'all from far away are hunting for some CO beer, maybe we can set up a trade.

For recommendations at the moment, if you can get a hold of the New Belgium seasonal 'Summer Helles,' I highly recommend it. Very solid, somewhat simple and very refreshing lager.

My expeditions east have also made me fond of Harpoon Brewery. Their IPA's, UFO wheat beer line, and surprisingly their cider's are very solid.

As for my Coloradan comrades, I recommend checking out 300 Suns brewery in Longmont, Boot Strap in Niwot, and Asher in Gunbarrel. I don't believe any of them widely distribute, and 300 Suns just opened 4 months ago. All of them are nice, and have great tasting rooms.

I really liked that Avery Mephistopheles when I had it... and you should definitely pick up an "Uncle Jacob's Stout" (by Avery) if you find one! Cheers to beers  :D
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #517 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 18:11:04 »
Cider is for girls. ;)

If you like CO beer have you had these? One of my buddies works there. It's pretty good. I think I prefer Oscar Blues though and Flying Dog used to be better when it was brewed in CO.

SSKs for everyone!

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #518 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 18:12:21 »
...and Harpoon makes some great beer...
SSKs for everyone!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #519 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 18:14:31 »
I had this beer once..  gave me hives...

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #520 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 18:15:09 »
Lol, which one?
SSKs for everyone!

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #521 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 18:21:00 »
I like IPAs but so many people get them wrong or prefer the "bad" attributes. Dog Fish Head 60 and 90 are good examples of an IPA and DIPA that are done right. They showcase the citrus and piney notes as opposed to the bitterness that I really don't like. Of course, no self respecting beer snob would be caught recommending DFH. It's just not extreme or cool enough...
SSKs for everyone!

Offline iri

« Reply #522 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 01:21:33 »
Cider is for girls. ;)
some real science here.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tgujay

« Reply #523 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 09:34:26 »
Cider is for girls. ;)

Do you have a problem?  That's a real ******* statement.
Gotta collect them all

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #524 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 10:24:07 »
none of them
I've lost all faith in you.
Go drink some barcadis you tweeb.
i've tried stronger drinks
they taste way way way better than beer
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #525 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 10:25:51 »
Nice to see a lot of IPA fans here, they're pretty much all I drink nowadays.  My three favorites are:

Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #526 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 14:02:40 »
Cider is for girls. ;)
some real science here.

^ This guy gets it.

Cider is for girls. ;)

Do you have a problem?  That's a real ******* statement.

No, but you obviously do. Go pour some cider and calm down.

Nice to see a lot of IPA fans here, they're pretty much all I drink nowadays.  My three favorites are:

Show Image
Show Image

Show Image

Racer 5 is a good session IPA. I need to go pick some up.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #527 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 14:22:28 »

Show Image
Show Image

Show Image

I see you're in Philly, ever check out Monks Cafe? I hear they occasionally get kegs from Alpine, who makes the best IPA on the planet earth. (even better than the Russian River stuff that people line up for 7+ hours for)
http://www.monkscafe.com/

edit: just checked their tap list and they have an IPA and a PA from both Port Brewing (same brewer as Lost Abbey) (SD) and Russian River (Santa Rosa) which are unbelievably good.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 July 2014, 14:32:30 by jwaz »

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #528 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 14:26:54 »
Show Image

An old favorite! bottled last week.

That is the ****ing coolest bottle opener.

Thanks, check it out:
http://www.areaware.com/products/bottle-opener
Not a valid vimeo URL
That while/ walnut version is pretty snazzy. It's nice looking but most of the time I just use the carabiner my keys are on :P

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #529 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 14:36:06 »
Alpine, who makes the best IPA on the planet earth. (even better than the Russian River stuff that people line up for 7+ hours for)

edit: just checked their tap list and they have an IPA and a PA from both Port Brewing (same brewer as Lost Abbey) (SD) and Russian River (Santa Rosa) which are unbelievably good.

Better than RR's 7 hour wait beer? Pliney is good stuff but it's ridiculously hard to get and over-hyped. I need to see if I can get some of that.

SSKs for everyone!

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #530 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 14:55:15 »

Show Image
Show Image

Show Image

I see you're in Philly, ever check out Monks Cafe? I hear they occasionally get kegs from Alpine, who makes the best IPA on the planet earth. (even better than the Russian River stuff that people line up for 7+ hours for)

Funny you mention Monks, it's actually not too far from me and you're not the first person to recommend them, I'm definitely going to head over there soon! Thanks for the information! :)
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #531 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 15:12:52 »
Cider that's 12% abv is for girls? mmmkay beast-man, how's that %5 beer treatin' ya :)

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #532 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 15:18:57 »
Cider that's 12% abv is for girls? mmmkay beast-man, how's that %5 beer treatin' ya :)

that sounds pretty gross... it's really drinkable? You want a really manly brew? look no further than tactical nuclear penguin, sink the bismarck, etc... or for those on a budget DFH WWS.

Alpine, who makes the best IPA on the planet earth. (even better than the Russian River stuff that people line up for 7+ hours for)

Better than RR's 7 hour wait beer? Pliney is good stuff but it's ridiculously hard to get and over-hyped. I need to see if I can get some of that.

So you don't wait that long for the Elder but when they release Younger in the spring **** really goes nuts (the beer isn't even that great :/ ) I can buy it locally so if you really can't find any I can always ship you a couple bottles (of the Elder)

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #533 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 15:31:52 »
that sounds pretty gross... it's really drinkable? You want a really manly brew? look no further than tactical nuclear penguin, sink the bismarck, etc... or for those on a budget DFH WWS.

I've always been a beer guy, still am, not into fruity drinks, don't do wine. Not into the whole wine tasting thing but since I went, that bottle of Cider was my next best bet. Let me tell you, it had an outstanding taste, wasn't too sweet, totally smooth, can barely even tell that it's 12%. ($22 a bottle) I would buy a whole case if I went back, just to change the common perception of it (my own included).

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #534 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 16:00:51 »

I just chug a few more like a "real" man, lol. ;)

Thanks for the offer jwaz. If my Cali connection ever flakes out I'll hit you up. I'm in TX...so, it's pretty hard to get. Speaking of TX most of the beer made here is not that great. The local breweries tend to produce a more "mass market" flavor profile.

Here is one of my favorite DIPAs Double Dog with a Founder's Double Trouble (DIPA too). The Double Trouble is new around here. I've heard great things about Founder's.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #535 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 16:15:10 »

there ya go :D

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #536 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 16:16:38 »

Thanks for the offer jwaz. If my Cali connection ever flakes out I'll hit you up. I'm in TX...so, it's pretty hard to get. Speaking of TX most of the beer made here is not that great. The local breweries tend to produce a more "mass market" flavor profile.

Here is one of my favorite DIPAs Double Dog with a Founder's Double Trouble (DIPA too). The Double Trouble is new around here. I've heard great things about Founder's.

What about Jester King? That Atrial Rubicite has been quite the hype. Wish I could find it.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #537 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 16:31:41 »
I've been out of the "beer scene" for a few years. So, that's one I haven't tried. They are a fairly new brewery aren't they? Maybe 4 years old?

I was talking more along the lines of average stuff like Saint Arnold, Real Ale, and Southern Star. Everybody goes ga-ga for Fireman's 4 or St. Arnold's Lawnmower around here and it's basically another bud or PBR. Jester King and Buffalo Bayou are new to me for the most part. I took a tour of BB a few weeks ago and their stuff was pretty good. I need to spend some more time with a couple of bottles to confirm that. :)

Edit: Karbach is another brewery that puts out very average stuff...that sells really well around here.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 July 2014, 16:42:30 by smknjoe »
SSKs for everyone!

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #538 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 16:35:28 »
SSKs for everyone!

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #539 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 21:08:31 »

Russian River is great (I love Pliney the Elder & Younger) but I have to say Heady Topper is better... definitely lived up to the hype for me. Alpine is as good or better than RR depending on who you ask; I'm torn between Pliney and fresh Nelson from Alpine (or even Duet).

Lost Abbey Duck Duck Gooze is excellent (and really hard to get) but I really think most of their other brews are overpriced/overhyped.

Founder's has a lot of good stuff... Founder's Breakfast Stout & KBS are both excellent. I'm in CA too so if you ever want to trade locals HMU! For beers with stupidly high ABV, I personally enjoy Prairie Bomb! (13%) Grey Monday (18.6%) Black Tuesday (18.9%) or the amazing Bourbon County Brand Stout (15%)

What about Jester King? That Atrial Rubicite has been quite the hype. Wish I could find it.

Been hearing about that brewery a lot... definitely want to check them out as I've really been enjoying sours recently.

Anyone on Untapped?
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline iri

« Reply #540 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 01:56:06 »
american obsession with IPA's is very weird.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #541 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 02:12:05 »
It's not just IPAs. It's all flavorful beers.

Due to Jwaz's recommendation I picked these up at a beer store just about a mile away that I didn't even know about.

Tomorrow is going to be a great day...
SSKs for everyone!

Offline iri

« Reply #542 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 03:11:39 »
Supposedly there are some flavourless beers.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #543 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 03:32:09 »
Most of the macros are flavorless and they are very popular.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #544 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 04:09:55 »
american obsession with IPA's is very weird.

It really grows on you though. Now when I get a beer, the hoppier the better.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #545 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 04:29:10 »
3 Floyds is another brewery that doesn't distribute down here. I keep hearing how awesome Zombie Dust is...
SSKs for everyone!

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #546 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 06:37:02 »
Wife and baby are sleeping, IBM Model M SSK in front of me, preparing everything for bolt modding this little sweety, and a fresh Austrian Schwechater Zwickl beer. Could it be better? :)

... ...

Offline iri

« Reply #547 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 06:49:30 »
a pack of stiegl lol

-Ray Bradbury

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #548 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 10:25:09 »
Supposedly there are some flavourless beers.

Well as flavorless as donkey piss can be. I would argue that bud lite is pretty flavorless in comparison to a nice beer.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #549 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 14:25:57 »
Originally, I was into Belgium beers (Triple, Quadrupel), like "Brugse Tripel", "Het Gouden Carolus Triple", and "McChouffe" and "LaChouffe". I live in the Netherlands, but never liked "Heineken". Recently, I like German beers more, from most favorite to least: "Jever", "Warsteiner", and "Bitburger". Jever even has an almost alcohol-free version (0.5%) and it just takes like the real thing, it's really amazing. If I would ever go for a Dutch beer, I would prefer "Grolsch".
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g