Author Topic: The pelvis has been filled in.  (Read 3508 times)

Offline dotancohen

• Dotan Cohen
The pelvis has been filled in.
« on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 11:44:08 »
Though the actual key switches themselves were only mediocre, the MS Sculpt Pelvis is probably my second favorite keyboard all around, after the Matias Pro. The little buttonplank getting a makeover:

151241-0

The pelvis shape has been smoothed into more conventional shape, and the faux-leather on the palm rest has been replaced with a different material. The arrow keys are moved to a more conventional location and a full numpad has been integrated. Overall it looks like a Samsung copy of an Apple product.

I'm anxious to see if this is an improvement or regression for my beloved input device. My last one started falling apart after about two years of heavy use. Literally, in the same week two keys came loose. I still kept using it for a few weeks after that, directly actuating the silicon dome under the keycap, as the device was so comfortable otherwise.

Here's the Microsoft product page:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/accessories/surface-ergonomic-keyboard
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 October 2016, 11:50:15 by dotancohen »

Offline Findecanor

Re: The pelvis has been filled in.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 12:05:37 »
Hmm. Lots of small changes in the keys. Most of all the \ key is only 1u wide which means that a ISO version of this keyboard is going to have a crappy Enter key like Mac keyboards.
The staggering on the right side also looks somewhat smaller. The Caps Lock key is no longer stepped.

The curve on the bottom row keys is gone. The old Space bars was thicker, tapering out towards the ends, ending in square arrow keys.
Instead all keys on the bottom row are "higher" like on the Apple Aluminium keyboard, except that the arrow keys on the Apple keyboard were actually square, the key being slightly offset from the ZXCV row.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 October 2016, 12:08:11 by Findecanor »

Offline shrap

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 23:11:58 »
It seems to be missing the reverse tilt attachment, and it permanently attached the numpad that I never even took out of the box.

The old version wasn't by any means perfect, but this seems like a step in the wrong direction.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 08:42:55 »
mm.... not enough tenting...

need m0ar tenting..

Offline RyanArr

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 November 2016, 10:37:09 »
6 is still on the wrong side. N is still huge. Will this one allow you to use the left space as backpace? The last one didn't. And huge thumbs down on the tenkeys welded on. That's where my mouse goes.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 06:10:44 »
It seems to be missing the reverse tilt attachment
I have read reports that confirm that. No more negative tilt.
The Sculpt is also getting discontinued. What a shame.

Offline dotancohen

• Dotan Cohen
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 11:12:24 »
It seems to be missing the reverse tilt attachment
I have read reports that confirm that. No more negative tilt.
The Sculpt is also getting discontinued. What a shame.

So all the best features of the Sculpt are gone: tenkeyless, negative tilt, close arrow keys. I think that I'll try to pick up a Sculpt while they are still available. Bummer.