Author Topic: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth 2016 vs CM Storm QuickFire XT?  (Read 5114 times)

Offline Prisoner416

So here's the deal. For a while, I had a Rosewill RK-9000. Nice enough keyboard, it seemed, Cherry brown switchs. (I'd personally prefer green, but my folks HATE the noise of keyboards... hell, I have a model M that I'd still use if they didn't complain about the noise.)

However, things started to go terribly wrong. Basically, the whole unit is no longer detected by Windows ten. All the lights light up sometimes, num lock, caps, etc., but the device is simply not detected by Windows. At times I actually had to unplug the keyboard simply to get the PC to boot.

Therefore, I'm now looking for a budget keyboard that will still last for a fair deal.

I don't really care about macro keys and the like. Backlighting is optional, I'm mainly looking for function, not form. I would prefer a non-tenkeyless model. The two main ones I'm looking at are the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth 2016 and the CM Storm QuickFire XT. What can you guys give me in regard to advice or user feedback? Even better, if you know of better budget ones that have a nice feel to them and are known for build quality, feel free to share them.

Offline Altis

Re: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth 2016 vs CM Storm QuickFire XT?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 18:40:08 »
If you're looking for a full-size Cherry MX keyboard for a reasonable price, I would recommend the Classifieds section. You'll get a better board for a better price, typically.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Prisoner416

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 18:09:08 »
I've been burned a few times and would prefer to buy new if at all possible.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 19:28:14 »
The CM Storm is the better option. It has a standard bottom row and cooler masters service and QC is generally better than Razer overall.

Offline clankgy1

• Formerly digifiend
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 20:50:01 »
The CM Storm is the better option. It has a standard bottom row and cooler masters service and QC is generally better than Razer overall.

Plus no Synapse.
RF87U 55g (damaged)  |  AV3 w/POM Plate  |  Thermal (to be built)  |  ID80v1 (to be rebuilt)  |  Tokyo60

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 09:44:05 »
Yeah the CM Storm XT is a horribly underrated keyboard.

It has standard bottom row, cheap, Costar build quality, looks nice, easy to mod.

I'd recommend this for a no frill good quality keyboard.  :thumb:

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Prisoner416

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 21:37:38 »
All righty, one thing I'm a bit confused by, does it come with a PS/2 connector or do I really not need one?

On a side note, I really wish there was an official cherry like the browns that had more force like green or black... I need the general quiet non-click keys in my environment, but I love the general feel of the greens.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 23:25:51 »
On a side note, I really wish there was an official cherry like the browns that had more force like green or black... I need the general quiet non-click keys in my environment, but I love the general feel of the greens.

Cherry MX Clear switches are somewhere in between Browns and Blacks (in terms of actuation force) and are noticeably stiffer than Browns; however, they don't feel like Greens. I would usually recommend swapping the springs in your switches (to create a switch closer to what your looking for) but, unfortunately, to change the springs you need to desolder all of the switches before you can open them up in a QFXT. At that point you might as well just consider getting different switches altogether, like Zealios switches.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 July 2016, 23:28:12 by Wingpad »

Offline Prisoner416

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 09 July 2016, 01:16:54 »
Jeez, those look nice, but I have no experience in modding or putting together switches... would be cool to get some pre-built. They seem like exactly what I would be looking for.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 09 July 2016, 22:25:01 »
Jeez, those look nice, but I have no experience in modding or putting together switches... would be cool to get some pre-built. They seem like exactly what I would be looking for.

All I would say is you have to start somewhere, haha. This community is really great at helping people so you'd have a support net :thumb:

Not to change this to a pro-Alps thread but have you looked into Matias Quiet Clicks at all? There are boards readily available with those if they sound like something you would be interested in.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 09 July 2016, 23:07:23 »

All I would say is you have to start somewhere, haha. This community is really great at helping people so you'd have a support net :thumb:

Not to change this to a pro-Alps thread but have you looked into Matias Quiet Clicks at all? There are boards readily available with those if they sound like something you would be interested in.
I talk too much about these, but yeah the quiet clicks are great. They feel like a beefier version of Ergo Clears.

Offline Prisoner416

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 10 July 2016, 00:04:53 »

I talk too much about these, but yeah the quiet clicks are great. They feel like a beefier version of Ergo Clears.

Never tried Alps, but I heard good things about them.

Saw this: https://www.amazon.com/Matias-Quiet-Pro-Keyboard-PC/dp/B009ZRR92G .

However the reviews are... troubling. Seems to be issues with failure and other problems. Does one really need to worry about having a ps/2 connector these days? Not sure if this one comes with one, I'm just used to using it and know they are better for rollover.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 10 July 2016, 00:26:08 »
Never tried Alps, but I heard good things about them.

Saw this: https://www.amazon.com/Matias-Quiet-Pro-Keyboard-PC/dp/B009ZRR92G .

However the reviews are... troubling. Seems to be issues with failure and other problems. Does one really need to worry about having a ps/2 connector these days? Not sure if this one comes with one, I'm just used to using it and know they are better for rollover.

I don't actually know that much about actual Matias boards; however, if it helps, I have had positive customer service experiences with them in the past (when buying switches for customs). I agree that those reviews are troubling, though. I am sure that someone around here owns one and you could ping them about it if you're really interested.

That being said, they aren't the only ones that make boards with Quiet Clicks (QCs). I know you had mentioned you would prefer a non-TKL/100% keyboard but there are versions of the Keyboard Paradise V80 that ship with Matias QCs.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 July 2016, 00:29:21 by Wingpad »

Offline Prisoner416

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 10 July 2016, 01:10:25 »
Main concern obviously is that I have zero experience with ALPS. I'm mainly going to be using the keyboard for games. Right now I'm using my Model M, which takes a bit too much force for my liking in multiplay games like overwatch. The browns seemed to straddle that sweet spot... didn't take too much effort. The main reason I'd prefer having the numpad and such is I have binds and such for things like teamspeak, and the less keys I have to work with, the harder it is to find ones to assign games don't use.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 10 July 2016, 04:17:02 »
You'll probably like the Matias. They are significantly more tactile and smooth than MX Brown but much lighter than Buckling Springs.

MX Brown: 45g

Matias Quiet Clicks/Clicky: 60g

Buckling Springs: 70 - (75g?)

Offline 1391406

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 10 July 2016, 09:47:47 »
Main concern obviously is that I have zero experience with ALPS. I'm mainly going to be using the keyboard for games. Right now I'm using my Model M, which takes a bit too much force for my liking in multiplay games like overwatch. The browns seemed to straddle that sweet spot... didn't take too much effort. The main reason I'd prefer having the numpad and such is I have binds and such for things like teamspeak, and the less keys I have to work with, the harder it is to find ones to assign games don't use.

If Browns (45g) straddle the sweet spot for you, you may find 60g (Matias - ALPS) a bit too heavy. Some Model M's I've owned are approx. 65g.

Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 10 July 2016, 12:14:29 »

If Browns (45g) straddle the sweet spot for you, you may find 60g (Matias - ALPS) a bit too heavy. Some Model M's I've owned are approx. 65g.
Hrm, not sure what options are left except Zealios?

Offline 1391406

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 10 July 2016, 12:27:29 »

Hrm, not sure what options are left except Zealios?

Personally, I'd refer back to the CM Storm Quickfire XT.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline Prisoner416

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 10 July 2016, 14:28:15 »
There wouldn't be any way to get a single test switch for the Matias, would there?

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 10 July 2016, 14:50:05 »
There wouldn't be any way to get a single test switch for the Matias, would there?
try asking in the free stuff in the classifieds, someone probably has a few loose matias they wouldn't care to lose.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 10 July 2016, 18:56:36 »

PM'd you

Offline Prisoner416

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 23:09:58 »
So it looks like it'll be the CM Storm QuickFire XT or the Matias Quiet Pro... still a bit iffy thanks to the reviews.