Author Topic: How to make sure all parts are compatible in a build?  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Kandza

How to make sure all parts are compatible in a build?
« on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 16:26:20 »
I have a keyboard in mind that I want to build, and I'm wondering what the best way is to go about to make sure all the parts are compatible.
Should I start finding a PCB that works for the layout I wish and go from there? Or should I look at plates, keysets, etc? Thanks :)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: How to make sure all parts are compatible in a build?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 16:27:46 »
Usually start with the PCB/plate, make sure they match.

If it's MX, then most works with each other. Depends what form factor though, and the extent of what you mean.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 10:32:34 »
That's easy just keep buying moar keyboards until something fits somewhere. It's not a problem because eventually there will simply be a continuous torrent of keyboards being built, used loved, shelved and forgotten

Offline jlee755

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 11:10:53 »
I would start with your desired layout and work from there. As mentioned above, you look for a PCB/plate combo that would fit that layout and then a case.

If your desired layout is unique/niche enough and you don't feel like designing a PCB, you may have to hand-wire your own layout along a custom plate.

Offline longsock

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 14:15:05 »
Make sure that the plate and PCB is compatible. Thats the most important part  :thumb:
QXP | HHKB Pro 2

Incoming: Duck Viper V3