Author Topic: ZOMBIES ARE HERE!!  (Read 5642 times)

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
ZOMBIES ARE HERE!!
« on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 19:52:28 »
You have just heard that there has been an outbreak of a Zombie-like disease similar to the one in 28 days later (fast zombies) you figure you have only a few short hours head start on the rest of society.
1) where do you go? Why?
2) who do you bring? Why?
3) weapon of choice? Why? (Assume you can somehow get ONE!)
4) you have ONE standard backpack. What's inside?

Choose wisely, your life is on the line!
Be realistic!
GO!!!

Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Re: ZOMBIES ARE HERE!!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 19:59:25 »
Assuming this is before zombies are chasing everyone and the streets run barren....
1. A decent sized boat. move it out to the middle of the mass of water its currently on.
2. I bring my family (assuming they are unaffected) and my 2 work buddies. I'm pretty sure they would handle this kind of thing well.
3. Shotgun. Its the only gun i have any experience with what so ever, and i would rarely use any weapon anyway, because of the noise.
4. Whats inside of my backpack? Food, clean water, a knife.

Pretty dull i know, but its what i thought of lol .
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
ZOMBIES ARE HERE!!
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 20:03:40 »
Also I forgot to mention. Feel free to dissect people's answers and make suggestions to better their plan. For example. A boat seems rather temporary. And remember this is all in fun. I would hate for this to turn into a **** storm.

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 20:06:24 »
1. I go up north to the mountains. Less population means less threat. Plus there are plenty of wild resources I could survive off of.

2. I bring no one. I don't really like the people around me, and they'd just be more mouths to feed. Also, even if I did have loved ones I would be endangering them with the chance of myself becoming infected and attacking them. It's safer to go alone.

3. Machete. I have a very durable machete my father gave me a few years ago. A gun would attract other zombies' attention with the loud noise, and a knife or some novelty sword just wouldn't do enough damage. Or it could get stuck in the zombie and I'd be weaponless. I'd rather have a good blade that can slice through a jaw or a hand. Enough to render the zombie harmless.

4. My backpack has a reusable, aluminum water bottle; a thermos; pocket knife (unless this counts as a weapon); one extra pair of socks; a variety pack of batteries; a roll of gauze; and an LED flashlight. There are a few other things I wish I could put in there (radio, dehydrated foods, full first aid kit, etc.), but I listed the only things I actually have access to at this very moment. Like I could actually gather all of those up and leave the house in about ten minutes.

To be honest I probably wouldn't survive long. Eventually I'd mentally wear down and wouldn't be able to be self-sufficient. Being under that sort of stress all the time would change the way you think and behave; I would no longer be able to last in a fight, or I wouldn't be able to start a fire, or I'd get lost and have a mental breakdown, something along those lines.
Not to mention there are going to be maniacs in a world like that. Some people will snap instantly and everyone will be an enemy to them. In fact, most people would probably be hostile to any other living creature. Since I'd be alone I'd be pretty easily taken down by any group. And there would definitely be people with guns. I can't outrun a bullet.
| MX Mini | Ducky DK1087 | A87 |

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
ZOMBIES ARE HERE!!
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 20:14:17 »
^ that's what I'm talkin' about! Be detailed like that!  If you change your mind, post again. Refine your plan!

Offline razorsharpgears

• TheOriginalBecker
    • Becker's 市場 рынок Markt - Sell/Buy/Trade
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 20:22:38 »
Sadly typing up a detailed post on what I would do is pointless because...

I AM A ZOMBIE

P.S. I forgot to tell you that not only am I a zombie, but I am a stealth zombie, designed to fit in with normal humans. Now watch your backs out there, 'cause I'm coming for you!

P.P.S. It doesn't matter that I told you I'm a stealth zombie, because you will never suspect me. The only safe ones are the lone ones, and those will be handled by my cousin, the hunter.

Good luck out there... you'll need it...
Here at GeekClack, time isn't worth anything because CCs are money.
"You cannot plan the future. Only presumptuous fools plan. The wise man steers."
— Cosmo Lavish
|WTB/T/S| Thread ←Link

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
ZOMBIES ARE HERE!!
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 20:33:25 »
Oh please... Stealth zombie?  I can smell your rotten flesh up here in Canada. Haha

Offline razorsharpgears

• TheOriginalBecker
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 20:37:03 »
xD Let me be creative for once  :'(
(BTW I was designed in a lab, along with the original serum that caused that zombie epidemic)
"You cannot plan the future. Only presumptuous fools plan. The wise man steers."
— Cosmo Lavish
|WTB/T/S| Thread ←Link

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
ZOMBIES ARE HERE!!
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 20:43:16 »
Zombies have tears?  They must be some sort of cure!

Offline reverkiller

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 20:51:05 »
I haven't thought too hard about it, but here is my tentative plan:

Head towards Appalachian Trail, and then begin to make my way north, using it as a guideline and avoiding populations whenever possible.
I think it would take me about... 5 days by walking to get from my home now to the appalachian trail. I could easily avoid roads, and as long as I have a compass (boyscouts ftw), I would get where I needed to go.

In my bag, I would like to say that I would have this:
4 liters of durable water bottles
Fire starting materials
Very compact sleeping bag
1 medium sized pot, for cooking/boiling water.
An up to date road map of the US

I think I could survive off of that. Maybe as much food as I can gather?

I think the goal is to find some place to hunker down. I think that to do that I'd need to head north towards America's Hat.

Maybe I should pick up archery before then? I think having good aim with bow and arrow is the most reliable way to kill zombies. Of course carry around something like a machete or aluminum baseball bat for if they get too close.
Stockpile: Das Keyboard Ultimate (Blues), Ducky YotD (Reds), Model M ('87), Poker (Reds), Siig Minitouch (ALPS) || In Progress: Phantom || Wishlist: Filco Japanese Layout (Browns)

Offline Magnusian

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 21:03:47 »
1. Stay where I am. My farm is located in the middle of nowhere in rural Ontario. It's likely that there would be fewer zombies to deal with due to the distance I live from any major population centres.
2. Organize with my neighbours to watch and protect each other. I'd expect my folks and brother to come here immediately.
3. Lee-Enfield, .30-06 might be a more common ammunition, but due to the large number of people who'd go for it, .303 would probably be easier to obtain later on. I'd deal with threats at range from the top of my windmill tower.
4. Likely uncessary, though I'd probably pack a bug-out bag with extra ammo, water, a map, compass, firesteel and extra fuel for my zippo.
Model M 1390120 1986  | Unicomp Customizer 104 1-Piece Keys | Franken M IBM 1390120 1987/Unicomp U4044A 2007 hybrid | CM QFR Cherry MX Greens

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 22:00:08 »
1. Stay where I am. My farm is located in the middle of nowhere in rural Ontario. It's likely that there would be fewer zombies to deal with due to the distance I live from any major population centres.
2. Organize with my neighbours to watch and protect each other. I'd expect my folks and brother to come here immediately.
3. Lee-Enfield, .30-06 might be a more common ammunition, but due to the large number of people who'd go for it, .303 would probably be easier to obtain later on. I'd deal with threats at range from the top of my windmill tower.
4. Likely uncessary, though I'd probably pack a bug-out bag with extra ammo, water, a map, compass, firesteel and extra fuel for my zippo.

You sound extremely safe. You could probably live out the apocalypse. I'm coming to your farm if there's an apocalypse!
| MX Mini | Ducky DK1087 | A87 |

Offline Lanx

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 22:50:22 »
i would learn from every zombie movie out there, and the underlying notion is that, it isn't zombies you should be afraid of, it's ppl, when the apocalypse has "settled" and humanity is broken into factions i would look out for every person, and basically kill on site would be my motto.

1) where do you go? Why?

1. find a farm near a city. farms seem to be relatively safe, and city not so much.
2. wife and if/when i have one, or two my kids. gonna have to leave all my friends and family, it's just not possible to ever see them again but i wouldn't want to go on living w/o my wife and/or kids.
3. my neighbor seems to have a few guns if i can barter with him first that's what i'd do, i'd get any old revolver i guess, i have zero gun experience and from that i'd want a pick up and shoot gun, i would REALLY try to save the gun for ppl tho, again i'd defer to my kill on sight rule. Also since a revolver has less upkeep than a semi automatic pistol, i wouldn't have to worry about it.
4. Like some i've seen a list for a bug out bag, so i'd just use one of those lists, i'd use a bit of my boyscout camping/survival skills

i would make a bee line for my walmart first, either buy/loot or steal a gun. again it's for protection against ppl, not zombies, then again having a few axes and bats wouldn't hurt either.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 22:55:47 »
I'm the king of the zombies, son!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 22:58:57 »
but u can't hold a damn thing those those holes through your hands, playa.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
ZOMBIES ARE HERE!!
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 23:05:33 »
I suppose I should answer my own hypothetical. Here goes. My answers will be quite long as I have given this a lot of thought so stay with me.

1) where would I go? Well I originally thought about heading to my friends cottage then I thought nah there just isn't enough stuff out there to sustain life for too long and it's not all that far from a populated area so that's out. I decided I would head to work. Work you say? You see I work at a copper and zinc mine that is kind of far enough away from my small town. What does this location offer?Fuel bays both diesel and gasoline with plenty of fuel. A virtually endless supply of company vehicles at my disposal for supply runs (they are all identical so swapping parts is no problem). Heavy equipment (bulldozers, excavators etc) an entire underground system that extends 10,000 feet underground complete with refugee stations stocked with plenty of non perishable food water oxygen etc. enough to feed a group of people for months on end.  Mechanic shops full of tools. lots of generators, pumps, compressors.  Plenty of explosives. A nurses station on surface stocked with medical supplies as well as first aid stations underground. I wouldn't spend too much time underground. Instead I would gather all the supplies and bring them up and use the underground as a bug out area if **** hits the fan. I could set up shop atop one of the head frames which would give me a great view of the surrounding grounds. I could build a damn fine trench or fence or both around the main area with the plentiful building materials on the property including a cement plant with molds to build proper walls made of slabs of interlocking concrete many of them already made and stored and plenty of material to make more. Do I have access to all these areas? I'm a security guard so I have keys to EVERYTHING. This brings me to who I would bring with me.
2) I would bring my friend Sean to start with. A very resourceful outdoors type who happens to work for Orica (the company that handles all the explosives I mentioned earlier) it seems like almost every second person these days is taking nursing in school many of which I know and have graduated so I would invite one or two of them to come along. Lastly I would gather my family and my companions family (only direct family members) they could all help with the workload and I'm guessing/hoping that someone in the group is capable of fixing engines etc. if not well we have nothing but time to learn.  The site also has a powerhouse filled with very large diesel generators. Enough to power many many things however I think I would opt to shut that down and use one of the many smaller generators on site to power the essential equipment. Now onto question three. Wait before we move on I should mention I have about twenty 360 degree remote operated surveillance cameras already set up on surface. I would move them all to the main area and try get 100% coverage. Lots more cameras underground too. I mean lots.
3) The weapon. Oh the weapon. There are plenty of hunters in northern Ontario and a nice rifle seems like a great choice. Like Magnusium said, I would also choose one with a not so common type of ammunition so I could have a better chance of there being some left when I need them. This might backfire though as I'm in a relatively small town and if the ammo isn't common they probably don't have many in stock. I'm hoping the others bring weapons as well. I agree that the guns would be used on people and not zombies. And the shoot on site rule MUST be adhered to. This is no time for sympathy.
4) the backpack. Since most of the things I will need are already in place at my location, I would use my few hours to try and get to the nearest farming supply area and fill that sucker with seeds. Lots of seeds. Carrots potatoes peas corn etc etc. There is a nice field at the mine already that has been used to grow a mixture of things like oats and whatnot. This would make an ideal area for planting a garden to grow all the food we would need. Plus the area is full of wildlife to eat. Lots of moose, fox, grouse etc.

The downfall to this location would be that there is a crew of workers here 24/7. I'm hoping that once they get word of the outbreak they all rush home to their families and don't realize that their sitting on a gold mine (haha mine!). Even this plan is not perfect. The fuel will eventually run dry. I'm hoping by that time we have a strong fortress built.

Well that's it. My plan. You all know too much now.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
ZOMBIES ARE HERE!!
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 23:06:24 »
Wow that was way too long. Sorry fellas haha

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 14:17:22 »
1) where do you go? Why?

Stay home, wait until the zombies starve to death.

No one, just whoever's still home

Uzi machine pistol, full auto

Light weight, extended clips

Even if it were fast zombies, a minor wound to their leg would instantly make slow zombies

bullets

Baby formula powder, "i don't have a baby" it's just most compact, almost complete nutrition

Flares

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 14:41:31 »
1) where do you go? Why?
The lake. If I'm going to go out, might as well be where I enjoy myself.

I'd bring myself. Perhaps anybody who isn't slow?

I would be looking for a 1911 with both a .45 slide (for when I really need to get sh*t done) and a .22 slide for when I only have a few zombies to take care of. Both with an extended magazine.

TP had a valid point, I'd mix baby mixture with peanut butter. I'd also carry my Model M for extra protection...erm I mean typing, you said only one weapon. :P

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 14:53:58 »
1) where do you go? Why?

too much info there buddy.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 15:24:11 »

1) where do you go? Why?

For the 1st 72 hours after the outbreak, I'm bugging in. Shelter in place. After the initial panic settles, I'll be forced to move out, as I don't have preps to survive long-term in my home. Heading to a remote location in a mountainous/forested area with good supplies of water and game. Probably scouting for a small, isolated farming community as a long-term plan. You can't make it on your own forever.

I'm bringing my wife and baby son with me. When we leave the local area, we will attempt to rally up with members of my militia group. Ideally, in the long-term, we will form up as a small community where everyone can help to rebuild.

If I can only have ONE, I have to go with a mace or club of some sort. But I can probably improvise something along those lines. I would love to bring my AR-15 for the firepower, but to be honest, I will probably be carrying my Ruger 10/22. With a .22LR, you can carry more ammo than just about anything else. Headshots only, of course. I'll have my wife bring along the Remington 870 12-gauge shotgun. :)

Standard backpack in this case is a medium or large ALICE pack. Bug Out Bag.
  • Handgun and extra ammo. Probably my Beretta 92FS 9mm.
  • Extra clothing, at least a spare pair of wool socks. Wool retains 80% of its insulative value when wet.
  • Wool blanket or mummy sleeping bag.
  • Tarp, or at minimum a thick contractor garbage liner. Shelter.
  • 1-qt water in stainless steel bottle with nesting cup. You can boil water and also cook with the stainless bottle.
  • Fixed blade knife, most likely a Gerber Profile or Mora #2. Probably THE most important item in this list.
  • Multi-tool, Leatherman or Gerber.
  • Ferrocerium fire rod with WetFire tinder. Lasts longer than butane lighter, but must keep a dry tinder source for ignition.
  • Bic lighter. Don't leave home without this one.
  • Cordage, either tarred bank line or paracord.
  • Compass with mirror. Direction finding and signaling.
  • LED head lamp. Keeps your hands free.
  • Cotton bandana. Filtering water, bandage, etc. Too many uses to NOT have this item.
  • Sail needle. Improvised compass when magnetized and placed on a leaf in some water. Also for suturing wounds, repairing clothing, etc.
  • Individual First Aid Kit.
  • Food: peanut butter, ramen, energy bars.

Can you tell I've thought about this stuff, as well?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 15:26:09 »
1) where do you go? Why?

too much info there buddy.

Not what I meant... I enjoy the lake.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 17:14:54 »
isn't that why we have to go away from cities? we have to find running water, eventually all the water bottles will be empty.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 17:42:20 »
Zombies are here ... trying to steal your keyboards.

Keyboardless

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 17:51:15 »
im bringing mmmty and jpm with me.

they have guns!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 23:03:07 »
Totally prepared for this eventuality. Here's a zombie survival guide I did as an in class project for an English class, believe it or not. My art is so pro, don't be jelly.
http://www.viewdocsonline.com/document/tmc021
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 January 2013, 23:04:44 by noisyturtle »

Offline razorsharpgears

• TheOriginalBecker
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 23:15:50 »
Totally prepared for this eventuality. Here's a zombie survival guide I did as an in class project for an English class, believe it or not. My art is so pro, don't be jelly.
http://www.viewdocsonline.com/document/tmc021

I doubt the keyboard attached to that laptop is mechanical, unacceptable! And you! You, turned this in for an English project; what are you promoting here? Rubber-domes?
My oh my, even in the case of a zombie apocalypse, we must all have mechanical keyboards! Haha, just giving you a hard time. But seriously... when can I buy your art <3
— Cosmo Lavish
|WTB/T/S| Thread ←Link

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 23:28:01 »
I found the most important thing in your medical kit: 2 Cyanide Capsules

Why 2? In case the first one doesn't do the trick?

:D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 23:33:46 »

I don't know why it's always Cynide... I mean, that stuff is PAINFUL....   Why not a "HUGE bag of Cocaine""" will probably kill you, and you'd have a grand ol' time.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 00:16:09 »

I don't know why it's always Cynide... I mean, that stuff is PAINFUL....   Why not a "HUGE bag of Cocaine""" will probably kill you, and you'd have a grand ol' time.
This is the second time tonight you mentioned ODing on a ton of cocaine... need a (tp4)tissue? Eh, I'm terrible at puns.

Offline razorsharpgears

• TheOriginalBecker
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 00:42:30 »

This is the second time tonight you mentioned ODing on a ton of cocaine... need a (tp4)tissue? Eh, I'm terrible at puns.
Unleash the bad puns! Lose control!
— Cosmo Lavish
|WTB/T/S| Thread ←Link

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 01:17:22 »
1) Probably some nearby watertower...
11394-0

2) Girlfriend? Parents? Box full of Keyboards?
3) AA12 and if possible also a PSG1 for watertower sniping fun!
4) Water, bandages, basic drugs (antibiotics), rope, knife, multitool, lighter, city map, more...

Offline Lanx

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 01:42:17 »
wouldn't a watertower not be good for consumption since it's still water?

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 02:05:08 »
wouldn't a watertower not be good for consumption since it's still water?
I think most of em don't carry water anymore, they are just not demolished because they are listed "historical" buildings, same as with most windmills.
But if it would still carry water it would another plus... Water supply, easy to defend, usually just one way in and a lot steps to climb up, good observation point.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 02:06:50 »
oh, you meant it as a place of residence! gotcha

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 02:13:27 »
Oh yes! It seems the ones around here have "residential interiors" build on top,
perhaps back then the operator had to live up there or something...

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 03:11:13 »
im bringing mmmty and jpm with me.

they have guns!

Did you call.....  :p

I'm bringing the twins:

or if I can only bring one, its my AK...

REALFORCE|FILCO|HHKB|KBC POKER X|LEOPOLD|CM STORM|SIIG (GHSS)|IBM SSK

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 03:23:10 »
^ wow.
Apparantly $hit just got real  :eek:
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline Lanx

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 04:03:24 »
am i in the minority that believe "if" zombies come about (either by alien plaque, or resident evil type pathogen or just out of biological means) that the zombies would be fast zombies, and not the slow moving kind? my theory is that we move at the pace we move cuz we have to "think", but what if we(zombies) felt no pain, we would just run full bore, there'd be nothing to stop a zombie, cuz they'd just keep on going.

just like those unfortunate ppl who are born with limited or no pain receptors, this is a bad thing for them, cuz if they get cuz, they'd bleed to death, cuz they wouldn't know they got cut, or if they were touching a hot kettle, they'd smell their flesh burning and then notice their flaming hand, now imagine if this was a zombie, but with the purpose of eating you and needing to run after you.

Offline linkz

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 10:10:51 »
1) I would just go to a door security specialist and enforced my house with steel framed windows, doors and that sort of thing. Assuming zombies are dumb (I never watch 28 days) They can't break through a thick walls by using a tool or something.

2) Lots of chocolates and fresh waters. The goal is to survive while contacting the rest of the survivors, learning how to fly a helicopter, and go to where the rest of the survivors are. I guess a huge headquarter where we can grow our own foods are sufficient.

3) A lightsaber! Reason being it doesn't run out of power, and the reach is pretty long to sliced through all those zombies who don't know how to use gun or throw stuffs (my assumption, from playing resident evil).

4) While travelling? Foods, drink, and a shaver.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 13:34:14 »
They are among us.

Keyboardless

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 14:05:57 »
In the very unlikely case that our government doesn't drop nukes on the first sign of a Zombie Apocalypse, or otherwise over-react;

1) I'd start a caravan in the desert, starting with my uncle's freaking huge RV. Silicon Valley. We would probably turn into salty raiders / scavengers out of necessity once we had enough people and guns... maybe 40 men with assault rifles.
2)  I'd only bring friends who could carry their own, and decent with a side arm. I know some big homeys that already have straps a-plenty :)
3) main gun = shotgun. Zombies are shotgun practice. Old fashioned pump shotgun cause I know how to clean it up and keep it maintained. I'd have side-arms like a Deagle, and probably a 45 of some kind.
4) In my backpack I'd have a pack of sars masks (you know, the little mouth covering things. The purpose of these is to be able to kill zombies up close without contracting the disease myself,) walkie-talkies, a nice thick Machete in case of an ammunition shortage, and a whetstone to keep it deadly, plenty of protein bars, a map, a pot to cook with, and as much water as I could carry. Don't forget a pack of Bic lighters! And a few joints of homegrowns... I'd save em for when I get bit, for a last little session. Then I'd pull out my gun, and be done with it. **** being a zombie!!!

Think road-warrior. Mad Max. That's me. So keep an eye on your gasoline can.... Or pay your dues and join the caravan. If you have nothing to contribute, you would be sent with the next day's raiding party and if you can prove yourself by actually helping the group, you can stay.

One last thing to add... I would like nothing better than to see all of this happen. This is my fantasy. Who ever is developing the T virus.... You have my unyielding support!!
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline Lanx

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 14:42:33 »
wouldn't a club type weapon be pref over a big machete? I'm thinking in case you try to chop off more than they can chew, it get's stuck in bone/cartilage/ other stuff, what can you do, but you can always just bash and bash with a baseball bat, plus there's the upkeep, while i'm not saying it takes time since you'll have a lot of downtime to do stuff, just that you have to constantly keep a sword/machete sharp, with a bat you just whip off the goo.

i have no idea why there are scenerio's where ppl put nails in the baseball bats tho, i guess it gives it more of a punch, but then there goes the whole, stuck in zombie thing again.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 14:51:51 »
I did mention a shotgun. Namely a Remington 870 Express... it would really come in handy in a melee situation. I'm somewhat of a coward and would prefer a sharp edge to bludgeoning them down...

Offline Lanx

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 15:02:25 »
is the butt of a shotgun effective enough? i mean sure a person getting ganked by one would hurt, but it has such short range melee against a zombie seems like a last resort and desperation, rather than a standard use "i'mma gonna stealthly take out this zombie, whack".

plus for me personally, i don't think i could even effectively use a shotgun as a melee weapon, heck in a panic situation i'd grab the barrel and start flailing with it, where i'm sure almost every american boy (and maybe some girls) know how to swing a bat, and i mean swing it with purpose, not just flailing.

i'm a coward too, which is why i think a blunt weapon would be good, since if i used a sword of some kind, i won't freakout when it get's lodged and stuck in zombie guts and skull, then i'd try to get my weapon back and using my leg to kick it off and all that zombie movie no no stuff.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 15:13:28 »
am i in the minority that believe "if" zombies come about (either by alien plaque, or resident evil type pathogen or just out of biological means) that the zombies would be fast zombies, and not the slow moving kind? my theory is that we move at the pace we move cuz we have to "think", but what if we(zombies) felt no pain, we would just run full bore, there'd be nothing to stop a zombie, cuz they'd just keep on going.

just like those unfortunate ppl who are born with limited or no pain receptors, this is a bad thing for them, cuz if they get cuz, they'd bleed to death, cuz they wouldn't know they got cut, or if they were touching a hot kettle, they'd smell their flesh burning and then notice their flaming hand, now imagine if this was a zombie, but with the purpose of eating you and needing to run after you.
Well you're missing the point that zombies are traditionally reanimated corpses, rather than people infected with viruses. But yes, that was the an integral part of the plot of 28 Days Later (which basically invented the fast zombie trope), wherein the infected had no sense of self preservation, hopped up on adrenaline, etc. meaning they could run at full pent until absolute anaerobic fatigue basically. This isn't a new idea. To give 28 Days it's due, it was an interesting twist on the zombie movie when it came out, but since everything has copied it since (without the rational explanation 28 Days had) it's just become an awful cliche, and destroyed the whole idea of what the classic zombie movie is about - the fact zombies aren't that much of a threat, and it's people you ultimately have to worry about.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 15:18:30 »
You know what. You are right. My aluminum baseball bat would never need sharpening, and I could jump across rooftops and stuff with no fear of cutting my own self. Definitely baseball bat... I just thought of defending myself and thought, wow, it would be convenient if the zombie suddenly got all his teeth knocked out. Not easy with a machete... trivial with a bat. Plus you can break their legs and slow them down with a bat... If they are weak and decayed enough, even whack off limbs.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 15:41:04 »
I am not a zombie expert and even less a weapon expert, but ill give this one my best for the fun of it!

1) where do you go? Why?
I would go on an Isle that would be big enough to survive quite a while but not too big so it would be easy to see a zombie boat coming.

My wife and childrens, close family and close friends (the ones who would want to come or could). The ones not infested for sure!

For the other 2 questions, it all depends on the zombie scenario. Here I go  ;D

Scenario 1: The zombies are humans infested by a virus or something similar (radiations/mutation/whatever). These zombies have a lot of chance to have physical characteristics similar to any human, but with a frenzy for human flesh (they are zombies after all). So average speed, they could probably bleed or something similar, but without pain or less impact from pain.

Shotgun (if you have to face zombies, better do it with style)
Rifle (can work on zombies AND crazy humans!)
knife (always usefull)
Axe, hell yea
My Filco camo edition, this thing is solid enough to knock a zombie

Rations, survival stuff, grenades for bad situations, the usual, magazines *cough cough* (internet is probably down u know :p)

Scenario 2: The zombies are revived with magic (necronomicon or the likes). They can be very stong or very weak, it all depends on the version. Usually, those are slow but durable and annoying.

Holy water, in great amounts. Possibly find a firefighter station and bless the water and use it as a mighty zombie annihilator!
Spellbook (they can use magic, so why not us?)
Shotgun (still need to look badass, duh)
Axe, hell yea
My Filco camo edition, this thing is solid enough to knock a zombie

Rations, survival stuff, holy hand grenades for bad situations (worms armageddon style), the usual, magazines *cough cough* (internet is probably down u know :p)
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 19:57:45 »
1) where do you go? Why?
I would set up, and move onto my college as there are supplies for the 100-200 people who were living there there are also weapons, it is only 15 minutes by car from my house, and if I am not able to use my car (block roads?) I can walk in under an hour (cross country :)) There is a large selection or small caliber rifles as well as L85 A2's (A.K.A SA80) at least 30 of them.

Much of the area is over 150 years old and built solid so will not be hard to reinforce and secure, there is also a water tower on site, so I shall have a safe water source for a while.

I would meet up with some well know friends who have similar cadet skills as me, who I have know long term, are skill marksmen and will bring ammunition as well as other weapons, most are farmers and have good old shotguns, double barrel, and some target. Would also go rescue any of my surviving family :)

As I stated I would have access to L85 A2's which I can use as well as clean and keep in firing condition, and if on gets sh*gged then I can easily swap it, or salvage it.

Because I will be basing in my college, I do not particularly need the backpack as I will have access to all I need, although I will have a bug-out bag, with a couple of L85 mags, food and first aid supplies in came I have to leave at a moments notice. In case you had not noticed, I have spent way too much time dreaming this up previously, but I hope you enjoyed this, and anyone in the UK is welcome to come base up with me:)

P.S sorry for retarded style spelling and grammar, trying to get to grips with in iPad :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 January 2013, 20:34:28 by Tym »
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Lanx

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 06:41:28 »
can we evolve this into what type of person you see yourself becoming 3 months after the plaque hit? what roles do you choose/ are forced up on.

I would be the reluctant leader, i would just join a group, see the current leader, lead, and wait for him/her to fail. Then i would either wait for the next leader to step up, then fail, and i would take my role as the leader. I think i'll do this because this is what happens to me in 8 years of mmo, i'll join a guild, see the leader fail, see the next leader fail, then just step up and lead the guild to victory for months. This is a good plan cuz the first leader, always fails, and the survivors can/should learn from his/her mistakes. (this also works with projects, if the team starts failing, i'll pick up the slack and make sure we succeed, since i can't take the lead in the real world cuz the manager isn't gonna just leave, lol).