Author Topic: Optimal keyboard tilt  (Read 9141 times)

Offline persuasionlaser

Optimal keyboard tilt
« on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 12:32:38 »
So I'm almost ready to start my ambitious ergodox build test with custom stand and am wondering if anyone could recommend the optimal keyboard tilt for an ergonomic setup.
I played around with the plate and a protractor and figured 20 degree tilt would be sufficient for the main section and -20 degree tilt on the thumb cluster. Yes you read that right, the thumb cluster is going to be attached at a different angle.
Now while this whole project is merely a test for a even more ambitious project that I have planned for the future, I still want to get it right the first time. It would be pretty disappointing to build the whole thing only to realize I dislike the angle.
The stand I'm planning on building will be entirely made out of walnut with some screws to keep it secure, so it's pretty important to get these details right in the design phase.

Any help you guys have is appreciated, cheers.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Optimal keyboard tilt
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 12:34:10 »
I'm not exactly sure what angle is best. I suspect it may change from person to person. However, check out the Ergodock by Kurplop. That may give you some helpful info for your project.

Offline persuasionlaser

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 13:06:29 »
I'm not exactly sure what angle is best. I suspect it may change from person to person. However, check out the Ergodock by Kurplop. That may give you some helpful info for your project.

Yea I've seen that. It wasn't that helpful except that he said it was 13 degree tilt.
I did just get a really good idea though that would make the tilt fully customizable, so no fear!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 13:07:49 »
Try PMing kurplop perhaps. He's a really nice guy and you could glean some more info from him :D

Offline hoggy

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 04:48:55 »
If you could make it adjustable, that would be better. There may be one perfect angle, but being able to change it even a bit would make it more ergonomic.  You might see it differently of course.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 04:55:54 »
I think it is best to do some testing to figure out what works out best for you.

For me personally,

I have my keyboard on my desk both at home and at work. The desk height is so that the angle my arms make at my elbow are about 90 degrees. For this setup I find that a positive tilt makes any keyboard less comfortable, as I have to arch my wrists up more to adjust to the tilt. Most comfortable for me therefore are low profile keyboards with as little tilt as possible.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 09:34:02 »
It will vary depending on several factors  during its use..

elbow angle

keyboard height (on desk)

shoulder width

and typing style, (hover vs resting)..

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 09:37:38 »
Try the keyboard angle that seems best for keeping your wrists straight and not resting on any surface while typing. This wrist posture helps to prevent repetitive strain injury.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 03:30:04 »
If you can get your keyboard to the perfect height relative to your chair (or standing height), then I find a slight negative tilt to be best, along with a 30–45° tenting angle. For a split keyboard, the closer the two halves are together, the more tenting is necessary. If you can space the two halves about shoulder width apart, then any tenting angle between about 5° and 30° is probably fine.

The key thing is to pay attention to your own body. You want your arms, wrists, hands, and fingers in as neutral position as you can get them. In particular, you want your wrists straight. Get your desk set up with your arms at a comfortable height, and then just try moving your hands and fingers around. For example, try typing on a regular one-piece keyboard using just one hand, and position/orient the keyboard in space tilted up in the air until that hand is as comfortable as you can get it. If you don’t have control over your desk/chair height, then you’ll want to find whatever is most comfortable within that constraint. Most people have desks that are dramatically too high for comfortably typing on given their very low chairs.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 05:14:49 »
+1. Play around and see what angle you find most comfortable. For me, anything from 10 to 30 degrees works, but 18 degrees is about optimal. I never measured the thumb cluster angle on my build, just put them where they felt best. This will also depend a little on the keycap profile you choose.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline PieterGen

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 06:11:49 »
....the closer the two halves are together, the more tenting is necessary...
I read this a lot (so I suppose it is true), yet why would that be? The rotation ("tenting") of my hands  is independent of how wide my arms are spread. And for comfort? If I spread my arms wide, like the Christ statue in Rio de Janeiro, the most comfortable is with my hands tented somewhat...Look at the statue, his hands are open, not facing towards heaven, nor towards the ground....

Similarly, on a bicycle or a motorbike, on very wide steering bars some 'tenting' IS comfortable..... Like on this picture:

Most people have desks that are dramatically too high for comfortably typing on given their very low chairs.
True. partly because people use laptops. Which leaves you with the choice: keyboard way too high, but screen on an acceptable height; or keyboard on a nice and low position, which means the screen is too low, which in turn will  give you neck pain from looking down.   

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 13:38:00 »
And for comfort? If I spread my arms wide, like the Christ statue in Rio de Janeiro, the most comfortable is with my hands tented somewhat...Look at the statue, his hands are open, not facing towards heaven, nor towards the ground....
Do whatever you find comfortable. Just think about the lengths of the muscle–tendon systems in your arm. Most of them span two joints, and the orientation of your arm makes some difference in how tight they are.

What I find on my own body is that the more I rotate my hands, the more I have to pull my elbows in toward my hips to keep my wrists neutral. If my elbows are very tight to my body, then having my hands tilted like 80° (somewhat like that statue) is pretty comfortable. As my elbows go up or outward, my wrists feel looser/more relaxed when my hands are a bit flatter.

(Keep in mind, the statue is made of stone, and so has a much easier time holding that position for years at a time than a human would ;) )

However: I am not an expert in arm/hand anatomy. If you want a real answer go talk to a physiotherapist or hand surgeon or anatomy professor.

Similarly, on a bicycle or a motorbike, on very wide steering bars some 'tenting' IS comfortable..... Like on this picture:
I haven’t tried the bike in that picture, but I find that a lot of bike handlebars encourage wrist positions that aren’t very comfortable.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 September 2014, 13:41:30 by jacobolus »