Author Topic: Quite a stupid question i still want to ask about O-Rings.  (Read 4443 times)

Offline Nerif

Quite a stupid question i still want to ask about O-Rings.
« on: Mon, 29 August 2022, 10:59:20 »
Hello everyone. I've been using an Anne Pro 2 keyboard with Kailh Box Dark Yellow switches for two months. Also (if that matters), I've clipped and re-lubed the stabilizers and ordered some artisan keycaps (I'll show that two weeks later maybe), and I want to silence this keyboard a bit. The thing is, the downstroke sound gets annoying for me from time to time, so I'm about to buy some O-Rings. But, since the Kailh Box stem is quite different, I don't really know will the orings fit or not. Will the O-rings dampen the sound on Kailh box switches or not? Which thickness will be better for them?

Thanks for all of you in advance.
̷C̷M̷ ̷Q̷F̷ ̷X̷T̷ ̷[̷C̷h̷e̷r̷r̷y̷ ̷M̷X̷ ̷B̷l̷u̷e̷ ̷→̷ ̷C̷h̷e̷r̷r̷y̷ ̷M̷X̷ ̷B̷l̷a̷c̷k̷ ̷H̷y̷p̷e̷r̷g̷l̷i̷d̷e̷]̷
Anne Pro 2 [Gateron CAP Brown → Kailh BOX Dark Yellow]

Offline Nerif

Re: Quite a stupid question i still want to ask about O-Rings.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 August 2022, 11:01:52 »
By the way, for everyone who would ask "Why you just don't buy them, they're dirt cheap?" I would say that I really don't want to wait them to arrive if they're useless in my case.
̷C̷M̷ ̷Q̷F̷ ̷X̷T̷ ̷[̷C̷h̷e̷r̷r̷y̷ ̷M̷X̷ ̷B̷l̷u̷e̷ ̷→̷ ̷C̷h̷e̷r̷r̷y̷ ̷M̷X̷ ̷B̷l̷a̷c̷k̷ ̷H̷y̷p̷e̷r̷g̷l̷i̷d̷e̷]̷

Offline Nerif

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 30 August 2022, 07:52:50 »
tie a rubber band around it, see if it works.

ok, now i guess that 1.5mm orings will fit while the 2.5 ones wouldn't. Thanks.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 August 2022, 08:37:12 »
I don't usually use Cherry-style switches, but my son, the gamer, does. He (and I) recommend the thinnest, softest o-rings you can find.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 08 September 2022, 21:54:39 »
I don't usually use Cherry-style switches, but my son, the gamer, does. He (and I) recommend the thinnest, softest o-rings you can find.

someone once made these thin foam squares with holes in the center obviously for the stem and they were fantastic. Haven't seen them in years though...

Edit: heres what i was looking for https://next.wooting.io/post/sound-dampen-your-mechanical-keyboard-noises  'Reaper' on here made them

-Dana

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 09 September 2022, 08:18:59 »

someone once made these thin foam squares with holes in the center

"Landing pads" are a more mushy feel but are better at sound dampening. If you can't find them store-bought they are not hard to make.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 09 September 2022, 08:29:54 »
I mainly use my hhkb nowadays but for the MX board I do use at work, I put some o-rings for the sake of sound. They for sure serve a purpose and are worth having around.

On all of my MX boards in the past, I have always stuck a really think o-ring on my spacebar. I can not stand a noisy space bar. My hhkb has bumpons under it so it will not be too loud

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 09 September 2022, 12:44:15 »
BOOBS!!!!!11!

Offline Polymer

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 12 September 2022, 15:31:28 »
This...it changes the travel which you may or may not like....
Longer term..get different switches with dampening...

Offline Nerif

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 20 September 2022, 14:46:27 »
This...it changes the travel which you may or may not like....
Longer term..get different switches with dampening...
I guess I'll buy/build a keyboard with heavy linear silent switches after some time, but now I'm using a keyboard which I really enjoy to type on so I really want to improve it as much as I can.

Offline Nerif

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 20 September 2022, 14:47:22 »
BOOBS!!!!!11!
truly the best thing I've ever read here.