Author Topic: Anyone carry a retractable Pen?  (Read 2905 times)

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
Anyone carry a retractable Pen?
« on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 17:10:53 »
I recently got a Tactile turn Side click Pen. I previously only carried either caped pens, or my Ti scribe Bolt (bolt action pen).

After having carried the Side click for a day (in my pants pocket), the button became actuated and extended the point about 3 times during the day inside my pocket. Of cause this can end very badly, especially with a rollerball refill.

How do you people carry your Retractable pens without them accidently extending in your pocket? I know carry in a shirt pocket and inside jacket pocket are an option (and I do that frequently), however sometimes this simply is not possible or convenient.

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
Re: Anyone carry a retractable Pen?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 17:15:55 »
You could always go for the highly stylish plastic pocket protector of old :)
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline Olumin

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 03:31:48 »
You could always go for the highly stylish plastic pocket protector of old :)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 03:45:47 »
I carry an expensive disposable end click pen at the outer edge of my trouser pocket, I cycle an hour to work then walk round for 10 hours and cycle home and it's never activated.  I guess it depends where your pocket lies and what you do with the pen in your pocket - if it sits nearer your front it may activate against your stomach when you sit down?  Maybe a stiffer spring would help.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Coreda

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 04:11:08 »
To avoid any such unintentional ink output I decided on a Fisher bullet pen with cap. Super compact. Not particularly pleasant to actually write with barehanded since it's so rigid but practical, particularly for those who need to write vertically more often.

Offline Olumin

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 11:48:30 »
To avoid any such unintentional ink output I decided on a Fisher bullet pen with cap. Super compact. Not particularly pleasant to actually write with barehanded since it's so rigid but practical, particularly for those who need to write vertically more often.

I am actually currently using a fisher refill in my side slick, because the Schmidt EF 9000 cartridge it came with did not write in certain positions (never had that before), and the fisher was the only one I had that fit.

I really don’t like those cartridges very much; they write very poorly. But at least they always work.

Offline iri

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 16:58:38 »
Couldn't read this awful orange text but yeah, I do carry a retractable pen, a Parker Jotter.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Olumin

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 17:26:29 »
Couldn't read this awful orange text but yeah, I do carry a retractable pen, a Parker Jotter.

How dare you.

Anyway, how do you carry it?

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 07:00:23 »
I have a clicky pen in my bedroom that sometimes, i just click over and over again

Offline iri

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 09:01:44 »

How dare you.

Anyway, how do you carry it?
In a backpack  :p
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline funkmon

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 17:53:54 »

Love me some Jotters. I have about 50. They're good for ballpoints, and I like the Parker gel refills they have. I've been considering apprehending a Pilot Vanishing point, a fountain pen that's retractable. I might actually do it one day. One day...

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 20:01:54 »

Love me some Jotters. I have about 50. They're good for ballpoints, and I like the Parker gel refills they have. I've been considering apprehending a Pilot Vanishing point, a fountain pen that's retractable. I might actually do it one day. One day...

As a southpaw, fountain pens are the devils tool.... unless you write in hebrew. (or some other language that goes right to left). I spent a lot of time in German schools trying not to smudge what I just wrote and still ended up with blue stains all over my hand at the end of the day. Gel pens FTW
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline Olumin

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 02:41:22 »

As a southpaw, fountain pens are the devils tool.... unless you write in hebrew. (or some other language that goes right to left). I spent a lot of time in German schools trying not to smudge what I just wrote and still ended up with blue stains all over my hand at the end of the day. Gel pens FTW

I have very much the same problem with fountain pens, even though I write with my right. I like them and they way they feel, but I simply cannot properly write with them. I believe that to be a fault with me and my technique rather then the pen though, as evidently many dont seem to have that problem.

I have a Stainless steel Lamy 2000 in B I once got at a really nice price. It lives in my pen/pencil case but sadly hardly ever sees any use. Id rather grab a roller ball to be honest.

Offline Olumin

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 02:53:09 »

I believe the Lamy Dialog 3 to offer a superior experience when compared to the VP. It is a twist-open rather than a push button, and it seals the nib better from drying out. I owned one in silver quite some time ago, and I remember it being very pleasant to write with. If you like the design, and can find one at a good price second-hand with the 14k gold nib, I’d recommend giving it a try. You can always sell it later; these things hold their value. Just beware that the pen is quite heavy and thick. Also, the clip is useless. I mean like, really useless for anything except a shirt pocket.

You could also try for a vintage Pilot VP. These things look 1 Mil. times better than the modern ones, and they don’t have the issue with the clip getting in the way when writing.

Just another example of things being better in the past...