Author Topic: What is the best place to position a keyboard on your desk?  (Read 12312 times)

Offline medvednic

What is the best place to position a keyboard on your desk?
« on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 12:49:53 »
Hello,

I have a question that I think would be best answered here:
where on my desk should I position my keyboard in terms of ergonomics (near the edge of the table, in the center so that my arms would lay on the table etc...)? I saw some guides and info-graphics regarding that (many of them look from the early 90's), but none of them really satisfy me.

thanks.

IBM Model M | CM Strom QFR Stealth MX Brown

Offline pbtforever

Re: What is the best place to position a keyboard on your desk?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 12:52:22 »
Edge.  Never rest arms on table.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 14:17:48 »
depends on a huge array of variables.

how high is your desk? how high is your chair? how tall are you?  do you like carrots? etc.

try a bunch of **** and see what you like.  the first rule of proper ergonomics should be 'we all have different bodies so dont generalize'.

just get an ergodox and you will be fine. 
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline medvednic

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 14:36:25 »

interesting? why is that?

btw can a moderator please move the thread to the ergonomics sub - forum, it will be more suitable there.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 14:41:09 »
I like to have mine with the G and H keys directly in front of me, chair quite high up, desk lowish, arms angled slightly down (elbows 90 degrees or a little more, no tension in my shoulders). I rest my palms on the desk when not typing if the keyboard is low enough, on a palm rest if it's higher, like most mechanicals. Board with keys quite flat, I don't raise the back edge.

I agree that this should be moved to ergonomics..
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 14:41:37 »

btw can a moderator please move the thread to the ergonomics sub - forum, it will be more suitable there.

It causes unnecessary strain and pressure on your blood vessels, which isn't good for you in the long run.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 14:46:08 »

how high is your desk? how high is your chair? how tall are you?  do you like carrots? etc.

try a bunch of **** and see what you like.  the first rule of proper ergonomics should be 'we all have different bodies so dont generalize'.

Yup...

100%

Ergodox can accommodate any variation..

But Generally.....  if we're talking about maintaining the greatest amount of movement freedom, and least amount of necessary force...

then lowering the keyboard to as close as possible to sitting lap level, and having the arms hang from the shoulders is the best..

^^ at least that is best for Piano,    with keyboards, since you don't NEED that much freedom/force, the best position isn't necessary...

BUT if we're talking Ideals...  then  lap level + hanging arms from shoulders is ideal in terms of ergonomics. (assuming you're sitting straight)

IF you're in a recliner chair, where it's better for your back..   this is good for your back, but not optimal for quick row changes in keystrike, because you can not pivot at the shoulders..  you can only lift your whole arm to jump to the upward rows.

Offline aref

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 16:16:28 »
This is what works for me.

I find I type my fastest and most accurate when I place my keyboard at the or close to the leading edge of my computer table. Typing
instructors, in the days of typing classes, used to say not to rest your forearms on a tabletop. When I use a chair with arms, I can rest my
elbows on the arms and type comfortably with the keyboard at the leading edge of the tabletop. When I do this, I don't feel shoulder
discomfort at day's end. When I remove the arms from my chair, my shoulders ache before day's end.

If I have my keyboard about six to eight inches from the leading edge of the table, I do feel shoulder pain and I'm unable to rest my
elbows comfortably on the arms of my chair; the reason is, resting my forearms on the tabletop throws off my body when seated. Also,
the space between the B and N keys lines up with the center of my body. This works best for me; but it may not be ergonomic for you.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 17:22:00 »
~110 degree angle (vertical) in your elbows. Hands in parallel, shoulder-width. Palms/wrists straight, floating above the keyboard: _not_ in parallel with the desk/ground, but not vertically oriented either.

The keyboard ought to fit the posture, not the other way around.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 18:29:57 »

Wait.
Rabbits can use computers?
SHIET.

Offline pbtforever

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 19:54:26 »

Carpal tunnel is in the wrist area

Offline medvednic

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 02:31:50 »
What about wrist-rests?
heard that they also cause CTS...

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 03:15:45 »
What about wrist-rests?

If you use them incorrectly...

They should be used only for resting the hard nub of your palm (the heel?) on and only when you're not actively typing. When typing you should raise your hands and wrists up off they desk and "float" them above the board.

If you rest your wrist area on them, you put pressure on the tendons and blood vessels in the wrist. This is baaad...

For the mouse, a hard rest or the desk surface can be fine if used the same way (resting the nub / heel of the palm) and can even be used as a pivot when moving the mouse (assuming the height and angle are good), but resting the wrist flat on them or using one of those soft gel rests most likely WILL lead to problems down the line.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 07:40:46 »
i don't think wrist rest would cause cts, unless you're pressing the keys with excessive force..

the same type of (grip) force..

but if you type using mostly the weight of your hand/arm.. that shouldn't lead to CTS, because it doesn't compress the tunnel.

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 11:52:42 »
Picture for reference.

touch typist + high wpm.

你搞砸了

Offline gr3yh4m3

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 21:49:10 »

Yup...

100%

But Generally.....  if we're talking about maintaining the greatest amount of movement freedom, and least amount of necessary force...

then lowering the keyboard to as close as possible to sitting lap level, and having the arms hang from the shoulders is the best..

^^ at least that is best for Piano,    with keyboards, since you don't NEED that much freedom/force, the best position isn't necessary...

BUT if we're talking Ideals...  then  lap level + hanging arms from shoulders is ideal in terms of ergonomics. (assuming you're sitting straight)

IF you're in a recliner chair, where it's better for your back..   this is good for your back, but not optimal for quick row changes in keystrike, because you can not pivot at the shoulders..  you can only lift your whole arm to jump to the upward rows.

Yup...

100%

So this is why when I'm sitting at my computer my wrists have actually been hurting lately, whereas I'm currently sitting on my couch with my laptop and feel like I could do this all day... So basically you have to be miles higher than your keyboard?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 21:07:06 »
What about wrist-rests?

I think from an ergonomic standpoint you aren't supposed to rest your wrist/palms when typing as it puts pressure on your tendons. So even having a wrist rest supposedly promotes bad learned behaviors.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 22:24:43 »
The main reference are the angles of your arms. What have been stated about many variables at the end impact on these two angles wrists, and elbows.

Offline alec

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 02:51:22 »
I want my elbows to have support. So high elbowrests on the chair or plenty of space on the desk
And I rest my wrists on the table as well, feels so strenuous to hover wrists when typing.

Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline hoggy

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 06:46:41 »
...snip...
And I rest my wrists on the table as well, feels so strenuous to hover wrists when typing.

I used to do that.  (hint: it's not good...)

You might want to take a look keyboard trays to help you get the keyboard and mouse set to a level that would be comfortable for your arms/shoulders... Just a thought.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 08:21:11 »
...snip...

I used to do that.  (hint: it's not good...)

You might want to take a look keyboard trays to help you get the keyboard and mouse set to a level that would be comfortable for your arms/shoulders... Just a thought.

Since I use a tray under my desk for the board my wrist and elbows are very happy.

Offline D01

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 09:10:10 »
I've never kept it right at the edge of the desk.  I do wrest my forearms on the desk a little bit, but I always hover the wrists.

Offline Altis

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 11:52:17 »
I find that for typing, having the keyboard on my lap (towards my knees) to be the most comfortable spot. My arms are nearly 90 degrees, if I need to I can rest my forearms on my legs, and can sit with good posture.

As for the desk, I prefer to have the keyboard a little further away so that my wrists remain more straight. It also helps to make sure your chair is high enough, and that your arm rests are not too far apart. Unfortunately, most chairs leave lots of room between the arm rests, but some chairs let you move or angle the arm rests inwards, which can help dramatically.

My current chair, while very nice, is a little too low and the arm rests are only adjustable vertically, so I just put the keyboard on my lap when I do much of my typing. It also makes the keyboard a bit quieter!

Also, when gaming (which involves using exclusively my left hand), I will position the keyboard at an angle that keeps my wrist straight, and I will vary its position on the desk.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline luisbg

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 13:21:52 »
Does anybody here use a standing desk? Unfortunately most jobs don't offer that option since cubicles are designed for people seating down  :(
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline Altis

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 17:18:23 »
Does anybody here use a standing desk? Unfortunately most jobs don't offer that option since cubicles are designed for people seating down  :(

It can be pretty easy to makeshift a standing desk, at least to try it out temporarily.

The downside of standing desks in cubicles, however, is that you tend to be taller than the walls, which can be uncomfortable.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline luisbg

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 21:52:01 »

It can be pretty easy to makeshift a standing desk, at least to try it out temporarily.

The downside of standing desks in cubicles, however, is that you tend to be taller than the walls, which can be uncomfortable.

Yeah, at home it is easy. A few years back I built one from IKEA parts really cheap.

At work though, hard! Only seen one company that accommodated standing desks. After 4 years visiting clients as a consultant.
That company is famous for accommodating employees to have them spend most of their lives at work though.
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 11:22:56 »
I guess wherever the keyboard fits!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS